.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old October 25th, 2002, 10:18 PM

Private

dummy is on a distinguished road
Default Spell creation and some other misc. stuff for mods

How do we create "new" spells?

I am interested in creating a spell for "turn to stone" which basically would be a beefed up web spell. I want to create a medusa and have that as an attack moddifer- a hit turns you to stone, how is this done?
I also am interested in creating a spell that allows a character to teleport monsters- it would work like a magic missle or the storm and make the monsters teleport away a certain distance as level increased, how do I do this?
Is there a way to create spells that allow only certain types of monster control? Right now it seems that the spells work on all monsters- how about just ones that work on undead, or dragons, etc.?
How about spells to apply a random modifer, postive of negative, to items for a limited amount of time? Kinda like the lightening swords- but how can I set it up to a random modifier each time?

How would I create moddifiers to DRAIN experience points or levels from characters? Say there are certain monsters we want with this ability? Certain cursed items?
How can we create monsters that STEAL money or items from the character and then run away? Can we?

How can we create spells that let the character walk on water? Fly? Become etheral? How can we set up unique items with these abilities (or regular items)?

Is it possible to limit which weapons can be used by a character? I understand that allowing a character to only specialize in certain weapons is a way around this, but I was wondering if actual limitations was possible.
Can we, and how do we set it so that items break after continued use?

Can we have spells, or monster modifiers, that break items?
How do we adjust the economics of the game so a character dosen't get all that much money from selling items, yet still have the items cost inordinate amounts to buy?

Is it possible to set it up so that monsters only attack if certain things happen- say if we attack a towns person, the gurads attack, but only then? Say we attack a cow, so the dogs protecting it then attack...make sense?

Would it be possible to allow the actual slots that are available on the character (the items he wears) can be customizable (is this even a word?)? I can envison mods where I want no head slot, or one where I want four arm slots.

How do we make certain dialogue available only AFTER certain events have transpired- ie, gfind out about crown, get the crown, return crown, now find out about scepter only after return of the crown, find out about missing cow after return of the scepter...

How many maps can we have generated before the system breaks? How big can the worlds be?

I am a little confuse on when the system calculates the level of difficulty- at the very begining of map creation (before map 1) or when the character first loads a map for the first time?
So say I start a game at 1st level- the first map, all the monsters will be generated based on the 1st level attributes- if I go to another map, but I am level 10 now, will the monsters be based on level 10, or based off my starting level?

How would we set it up so food rots?

It might also be helpful to explain how some of the base values work- I notice that as I increase the speed base value, my character goes slower- yet when I increase other attributes, other things happen.
What is the upper limit on levels? I noticed it is set at 100- could it be set for 1000 or 10,000?

How many monsters are too many monsters on a map? What is the effect of group numbers in relation to the number of overall monsters?
I have noticed that when i set a map to have 100-150 monsters, and then use storm spells, the game will slow down- as it tries to catch up...is this becuase of my computer or becuase of the game?

Would it be possible to give monsters basic commands in game?

Would it be possible for monsters to set traps- say a spell to cast on the ground, and if you step on it, wham?

Oh yeah, is there a way to set certain tiles as "slow movment tiles"? I'm thinking of swamp tiles or quicksand tiles that slow down the monster- or maybe allow different monsters to move faster or slower depending on the tile that they are moving on?

I understand if these are not possible, but I am trying to figure out the boundaries of the box. Thanks.

[ October 25, 2002, 22:21: Message edited by: dummy ]
Old October 25th, 2002, 11:29 PM

Private

dummy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spell creation and some other misc. stuff for mods

Also, is there a way to set up moddifers on items or unique items that negate or minimize certain spells? Say I have "boots of haste" which makes the character impervious to web spells? Or what about items or moddifers that speed up the character in game? Or reduce hunger rate in game?

Is there a way to set it up that the use of certain items or spells cause damage to the character?

How would we create a spell that hits only monsters that are standing right next to you- but not any further?

Is there a way to do a controled teleport spell, instead of just random?

What about spells or skills or items that reveal portions of the map?

Is there a way to set it up so that a ranger character has a skill or spell for arrows so that he dosen't need to carry arrows to use his bow? To me, that would make the Ranger type character worthwhile... anyone else? Maybe a "create item" skill/spell would do the trick.
Old October 26th, 2002, 06:13 PM

Corporal

Mylon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spell creation and some other misc. stuff for mods

One problem with one-character RPGs is that insta-hit effects become incredibly lame and annoying. With one character, if you get turned to stone, you have to restart from a previous load. Multiple characters, on the other hand, gives you the chance to un-stone the stoned character before it's too late.

Just a friendly suggestion, but try to avoid stuff like that unless you include prevenative measures.

[ October 26, 2002, 17:14: Message edited by: Mylon ]