.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old April 28th, 2004, 05:54 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road
Default I dont understand Serpent Cataphracts

When playing Pythium Default, why should one ever purchase a Serpent Cataphract?
They cost more than any other standard heavy cav unit around, and are slower, not sacred, are cold blooded but without any type of swamp survival or special resistances. "armored in the heaviest possible barding" my foot -- they have 18 protection, which is quite good but nothing to write home about.
Why 60 gold? More scary: why 58 resources?? I dont get it. I'd much rather wait to pounce upon Indy heavy cav. What am I failing to see?
thanks in advance
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:10 PM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I dont understand Serpent Cataphracts

The lizard continues to fight after the rider is dead. Still not very good though, I don't think I've ever build any except for curiosity's sake.

[ April 28, 2004, 17:11: Message edited by: Teraswaerto ]
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:18 PM

First Lieutenant

calmon is on a distinguished road

The costs should be lowered. Hydra and Hatchling aren't sacred in 'Default' too and they are both cheaper then in 'Serpent Kult'.
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:35 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by tinkthank:
"armored in the heaviest possible barding" my foot -- they have 18 protection, which is quite good but nothing to write home about.
That's as heavy as Pythium's armor gets.
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:51 PM

Corporal

DeathDaemon is on a distinguished road

They have a decent bite. Pythium is already a strong nation due to high protection, high attack, high defense soldiers (some with javalins). Making their cav equal to others would make them a dominant race (as if they aren't already).
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:55 PM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathDaemon:
Pythium is already a strong nation due to high protection, high attack, high defense soldiers (some with javalins). Making their cav equal to others would make them a dominant race (as if they aren't already).
Well put.
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:50 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

I dont quite follow you. If the rational is to give a crappy unit, that nobody will ever use, just so that we can say 'see Pythium has weak units too, so they are not overpowered', then I dont understand.
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:00 PM

Corporal

Firebreath is on a distinguished road

Personally I have found the cataphracts rather useful. But only in limited contexts. As the hydras and other pythium troops generally don't mix (unless you get flying hydras on attack rear), pythium is left with a bunch of slow moving troops that don't do any damage to the enemy until they reach javelin range. Cataphracts (standard not holy) can be build everywhere, and serve nicely on the flanks, where they are likely to resist a long while against heavy oposition, and do serious damage against light oposition, not to mention flanking possibilities. Of course, native knights are probably equally good and cheaper, but a lot harder to come by in numbers. Their additional size comes in as an additional bonus when facing annoying things such as iron boars, etc; which eat up size 2 troopers all too easily.
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pocus:
I dont quite follow you. If the rational is to give a crappy unit, that nobody will ever use, just so that we can say 'see Pythium has weak units too, so they are not overpowered', then I dont understand.
The Serpent Capharact is usable, not neither is it cheap nor usable in every situation. That means that it can and will fill a gap, but it's not going to be a standard to be on par with every other nation because Pythium has no need for them to be powerful/strong.

If the Capharact was on the same level as Arco's cavalry I would say it's useless or weak and you would never have a reason to build them. But as they stand now, you don't really build them right now for the most part but you could if you needed it is not because they are weak, but because Principe's are very decent and more cost effective unless you need a cavalry charge.

NOTE: Now with Serpent Cult, it should be modified to be built at any Fortress that is one thing I think should be done with the Capharact.
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:06 PM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Pocus:
I'd prefer that to making Serpent Cataphracts powerful enough to match the knights of Man or Ulm. Anyway, they're not _that_ crappy. Until you find better independent cavalry, they're your fastest unit and may find a use as flankers. Or to raid C'tis/Miasma if you need to move fast and/or can't afford Hydras.