.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old June 12th, 2004, 07:19 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road
Default Poke in the Eye starting units

Ok, I know Poke uses completely random numbers, but this was just really funny to me.

I started out with Erectus the Ermorian Velite (spear carrier) as a starting commander, and the units under his command were a squad of other Velites, and...

a squad of SIX SHEDU!

LOL!

This was when testing Cohen's new Crusader mod, too, which is ironic since they are supposed to be holy types, and they are also currently mostly like SC's.

PvK
Old June 12th, 2004, 08:37 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Poke in the Eye starting units

Heh! I charged blindly into my first battle on turn one, and the indy province had a Fountain of Blood in it. Lost three of the six Shedu, and one other unit!

Another adjacent province starts with a kelp fortress... and is inhabited by ghosts and air elementals.

Another has an independent temple (blank graphic)... and is defended by War Masters and SIX MOLOCHS... ought to be er... interesting.

PvK
Old June 14th, 2004, 07:50 AM

Sergeant

Cheezeninja is on a distinguished road

Hmmm... this interested me enough to go try and download Poke, but when i attempted to all i got was an "internal server error" page.
Old June 14th, 2004, 03:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

That reminds me. I have to increase the numbers for the random generators. What are we up to now? Hmmmm I wonder if I raise it to 2000 I will get the new Oceania units but will I get MODded units also? That might be interesting. Maybe I will play around with that abit today.

Here is the link for it....
http://www.dom2minions.com/PokeEye.shtml

At the end it does mention that if click doesnt work try right-clicking it and doing save-as.

Im not sure what else would work well. Zipped? Displayed as text so people can copy-paste into a PokeEye.map in their dominions map directory?

[ June 14, 2004, 14:43: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 14th, 2004, 04:12 PM

Sergeant

i tried that and all i got was a copy of the html document saying "internal server error" =/

Just tried again too
Old June 14th, 2004, 04:15 PM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

Zip it. Or rename it to "txt".
Servers and Browsers don't have a clue what file type a ".map" is
Wild guess: They don't know how to handle it.. after some "thinking" they most likely switch to some "default", but this may cause timeouts and incompatibilities (sp?).
Old June 14th, 2004, 05:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

It seems like there will be incompatabilities no matter what it is so probaby a txt Version would be best. If I do that I may change the format of it abit so that the unchanged items show up at the end for those who might just want to SEE what Im doing with random-modifications to a map file.

Ive also tested having the range set too high. It does give MOD units which are fun but they are too rare amoung all the "s" that show up (I dont know, thats what the game calls them if they arent named and described). Apparently those are the "default" unit which changes with each patch depending on what Kristoffer is playing with lately.

Hmmm I could setup a small array and just type in the unit numbers used in mods. Id have to keep updating it but I have to update the code every time there is a patch anyway. It means that if a mod isnt loaded, the default units will show but it wont be too often. I may play with that.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 15th, 2004, 03:06 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

Looks like it is actually an internal server problem:

I tried right-klick-save-target from the directory listing, and it gets me a "server.error".shtml as well. I'm pretty shure I was able to get .map files from you server some time ago - did you change any server settings?

btw. zip, rar and txt files work o.k.

(Firefox0.8, W2k)

[ June 15, 2004, 02:07: Message edited by: Arralen ]
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:54 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Ok its there as a zip file now also
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:50 PM

Sergeant

Thanks alot, i appreciate it. Time to go start me a poke in the eye map.

The community is definetly one of the best things, if not THE best thing about this game. As good as the game is, that says a whole lot.