.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 4th, 2004, 02:20 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fountain of Blood for Vanheim!

jep that's very strange i agree .

i don't use a FoB because i think for the first 20-30 turns bloodhunting in your capitol is unproductive and later you don't need it anymore .
teleporting him somewhere to bloodhunt is very inefficient for blood nations too i think because it has different research priorities

but vanheim should have a FoB because it needs one because it fits perfect in the mood of a blood nation. it would be a nice enchantment of the roleplay effect
Old July 4th, 2004, 03:45 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

nah, its thematic, because the Vans aren't stupid enough ever to worship the useless thing.
Old July 4th, 2004, 06:54 PM

Corporal

Tuna-Fish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Boron:
because i think for the first 20-30 turns bloodhunting in your capitol is unproductive
How is it unproductive?
I personally dont use FoB much either, but in my very few ventures into trying to maintain an effective early blood-economy FoB has been very useful, and the effect on income is minimal at worst. It seems to me that a single very good blood hunter can hunt many slaves and cause less unrest than a few less proficient will, and on a 30k pop province even the minimal effect of growth-3 scale can easily offset the pop loss due to patrolling and hunting.

I really dont see the long-term damage everyone claim bloodhunting in a capitol early has. Also, for a few nations, (mictlan with spine devil pre-researched) the great early blood-income is very good. Also, devils are only research level 3, and a group of 5 can easily rout most indies when on hold/attack archers.
Old July 4th, 2004, 08:47 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road

It's thematic!!

And anyhow, it's not *just* for bloodhunting, although it is also for that (and think about it: who would you rather have BH: a 280-gold (minimum!) Commander who sucks at it or a pretender who can't do a heck of a lot of anything else but research?) -- it is for forging!

And hey -- did I mention it is thematic!
Old July 4th, 2004, 09:27 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuna-Fish:
quote:
Originally posted by Boron:
because i think for the first 20-30 turns bloodhunting in your capitol is unproductive
How is it unproductive?
I personally dont use FoB much either, but in my very few ventures into trying to maintain an effective early blood-economy FoB has been very useful, and the effect on income is minimal at worst. It seems to me that a single very good blood hunter can hunt many slaves and cause less unrest than a few less proficient will, and on a 30k pop province even the minimal effect of growth-3 scale can easily offset the pop loss due to patrolling and hunting.

I really dont see the long-term damage everyone claim bloodhunting in a capitol early has. Also, for a few nations, (mictlan with spine devil pre-researched) the great early blood-income is very good. Also, devils are only research level 3, and a group of 5 can easily rout most indies when on hold/attack archers.

hmmmmmm perhaps this approach is really not too bad . giving him 5 blood + 2 either Air / fire / water / earth whatever you prefer is very cheap and he can bloodhunt early on . later you can use him then for summoning the lvl 9 blood spell / forging . gives you plenty of points + good blood income from beginning .
especially interesting perhaps with pangenea . it has cheap patrollers but the pandemoniacs are so expensive

the bloodhunting may not make a greater unrest than 18 in average to not slowly kill your population though.

thnx for the idea

a question since i don't have mpexpierience yet :
can a horde of e.g. devils be still a threat to high end lategame SC's ?
if yes which ratio is needed ?
Old July 5th, 2004, 01:21 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Default Fountain of Blood for Vanheim!

I find it very odd that Pythium, Arco, Caelum, Machaka, Man and a number of other nations can all worship a Fountain of Blood (well, worshipping a f.o.b. is odd in general, but that is another story), while Vanheim -- as one of only 3 nations who can perform blood sacrifices -- cannot.

I would like to know: Why? Is this for balance reasons, and if so, what may those be?

If not .... Please let Vanheim, a blood nation, have access to a Fountain of Blood in the next patch.

[ July 04, 2004, 12:41: Message edited by: tinkthank ]
Old July 7th, 2004, 04:13 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Well I dont think a FoB is overpowered any way you look at it -- I just like the idea, and think it would fit very well to Vanheim; also, without a blood pretender, there is no way to forge neat blood items without empowerment, and I think a FoB would be ok for that. So howz about it? (Or can this be modded?)
Old July 7th, 2004, 05:26 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

oops

[ July 07, 2004, 16:29: Message edited by: PvK ]
Old July 7th, 2004, 05:28 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Currently you can give the FoB to Vanheim in a mod, but in my experience, if you do, it will also be removed from all other nations (even if you try to do as the mod manual said, and re-specify everyone who should have it i.e. with #restrictedgod).

However you could mod it by creating a new god with the same properties. This would be very easy except for getting the image to look exactly the same (which isn't too hard, nor necessary to get exactly the same).

PvK
Old July 8th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

OK -- thanks. I suppose, however, that all my MP friends must also install this mod if I want to use it in MP?

Also, how do you mod a god? Do I make a new one? And give him FoB stats with a different picture? I'm sorry, I dont know how that works. Thanks!