The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old August 14th, 2004, 08:42 PM

Corporal

Panpiper is on a distinguished road
Default OK, maybe I completely suck, but...

I do not get it. I'm playing the demo on easy level and spending every spare dime on having the highest level equipment I can. Most of what is on my ship is level 4. I have 320 shield and 240 regenerating organic armor on my front and the rest is level 4 small shields and armor. I've got point defense cannon, level 4 weapons and level 4 power plant to back it up. So how come when I go to do the second mission of protecting the freighter Beaumont (let's leave aside the problem of it taking me three reloads to even 'find' the bleeding thing) I find myself face to face with three pirate cruisers who take me apart so fast I barely have time to think? And this is 'easy'!

All I can say is I'm not exactly tempted to to continue playing, let alone fork out the money for the registered Version. Further, if this is what I have to expect in SE 5, I hope there will be an autocombat feature or I will not be able to play.
Old August 15th, 2004, 12:04 AM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OK, maybe I completely suck, but...

I haven't played the demo, and I never even got far with the full Version, but I do know there are some "impossible" missions, so don't be afraid to run away and fail the mission every so often!

Be assured that combat in SE5 will be pauseable and you'll be able to issue orders while paused - I believe it was Aaron himself who said that it will be much the same as in SE4 only in between your orders, ships will move in real time rather than in turns. (Heck, he even said the default view would be top-down! )

(Honestly, I was a bit disappointed with Starfury myself... I suck at it too, and I sorely miss the ability to target while paused! [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/mad.gif[/img])
Old August 15th, 2004, 01:26 AM

Private

acepaint is on a distinguished road

I think protecting the Beaumont is impossible if I remember right.Thats in the system full of asteroids right?
Old August 15th, 2004, 09:42 AM

Corporal

Hok is on a distinguished road

It was difficult for me too while playing the demo.
The best tactic to win the mission is to exactly do what it asks (let the freighter live 'till the end).
It's important that you understand you just can't win at such a low level if you fight one against three!

Tactic:
Follow the freighter at some distance, keep looking at the radar, then when you see the pirates are goin' for it just intercept them to attract their fire mainly on you. When your shields are low go back in the trail of the freighter's path. The trick is to keep the freighter safe even if it gets a few shots (remember that shields regenerate) while keeping your ship's armor in good shape. This way u let time pass and don't need to leave the freighter alone to go to a spacedock.
Old September 13th, 2004, 11:04 AM

Colonel

mottlee is on a distinguished road

Who said you had to do the missions in order??pick and choose and different planets have different missions, be a hunter to build up pick on lone ships.
Hard part about that one was the ship will not warp out of the system, you are stuck covering till the time is up
Old September 13th, 2004, 06:16 PM

Corporal

Sundansyr is on a distinguished road

Get rid of the demo, get the real game.
Add a mod pack like P&N, and PeoplesMod if you can get it to work.
Use the AI in your favor when you're new. Jump into maps and look around for ships flying around asteroids. Put your time at x8 and wait.
Eventually one will fly into something (asteroid, planet, its fellow ships, or get attacked). Then just ghost in, get the salvage, and run.

I was up to a Class II cruiser before I ever had to attack anything... though I did a *LOT* of running away.