This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 15th, 2005, 11:41 AM

Corporal

Silent Sorrow is on a distinguished road
Default Another odd gameplay problem

I'm the guy who has been having strange crash and install problems with SEIV and TDM. After a reinstall and using the rar version of the TDM file I have yet to encounter a gameplay crash.

But I forgot about one other issue that remains even with the re-install. Normally when you move units you get a turn counter that shows the route your ship is taking and how many turns it will take to get there.

Nothing shows for me.

I checked the empire options but nothing there seems to affect it.

Any idea why my route/turn counter doesn't show up? (Ships move normally other than that.)

Finally, I often get a 1-2 second delay in selecting items in the event list and other places in the GUI. I never used to get this problem before. It's not a game breaker but I can't imagine what's causing it.
Old May 15th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Captain

Grandpa Kim is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another odd gameplay problem

You can toggle the ship movement lines in the Game Menu (F2), Options. I've found that sometimes the movement lines don't show. This seems to happen early in the game and usually occurs in only one or two systems. I don't know why.

http://se4-gaming.net/
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:29 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

I wish I could help, but I've never encountered either of the problems you're describing. Perhaps posting your system specs would help someone nail down the issue?

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old May 15th, 2005, 05:49 PM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road

In version 1.91, which I recently installed, I found no option toggle for "Show ship movement lines" as there was in 1.61. I found this pretty annoying, but got used to it after a while and learned to like it. I don't think that is what's happened to you, though, but I found it to be rather similar.
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Game Menu (F2) -> Options -> Checkbox #6
Its right there, where Grandpa Kim said.
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:09 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Grandpa Kim said:
I've found that sometimes the movement lines don't show. This seems to happen early in the game and usually occurs in only one or two systems. I don't know why.
If you have a problem like this where the lines don't show up only for some systems it's most likely the only paths available go through damaging warp points, a known minefield, or you may have inadvertantly setup a system as a restricted system and your empire options are to not pass through restricted systems. It's fairly easy to accidentally mark systems as restricted by merely clicking on them on the "systems to avoid map".
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:23 PM

Captain

Grandpa Kim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
geoschmo said:
Quote:
Grandpa Kim said:
I've found that sometimes the movement lines don't show. This seems to happen early in the game and usually occurs in only one or two systems. I don't know why.
If you have a problem like this where the lines don't show up only for some systems it's most likely the only paths available go through damaging warp points, a known minefield, or you may have inadvertantly setup a system as a restricted system and your empire options are to not pass through restricted systems. It's fairly easy to accidentally mark systems as restricted by merely clicking on them on the "systems to avoid map".
Of course, I checked all those things. This has occurred launching my first colonizer to a known system (could be my second or third launch of the game). My first colonizer finds a system with a good planet, but I usually send it farther along to the next warp point and send my next available colonizer to the candidate planet instead. That's when the pathing lines don't show up... in either system. I don't know why, but one guess has to do with the order the systems were created in map generation.

http://se4-gaming.net/
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:03 AM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Grandpa Kim said:
Of course, I checked all those things. This has occurred launching my first colonizer to a known system (could be my second or third launch of the game). My first colonizer finds a system with a good planet, but I usually send it farther along to the next warp point and send my next available colonizer to the candidate planet instead. That's when the pathing lines don't show up... in either system. I don't know why, but one guess has to do with the order the systems were created in map generation.
I can't see the order the systems were laid down as being a factor. Sorry if I'm stating things you feel are obvious, but I've seen this a lot and it's always had an explanation that I remember, although it's not always an obvious explanation. I've seen it a lot using Fyron's Quadrant mod or something like it that has modified warp points. In that case what it seems to be is that there are warp points that are odd in some way, but don't actually have real damage. The game seems to confuse these with damaging warp points and doesn't show the pathing.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:44 AM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

I almost always have the same problem, on regular maps, and without any mod activated. It only affects the movement paths: the ships themselves follow the expected path on their own.
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Captain

TurinTurambar is on a distinguished road

The only place I ever saw this was in a pbw game where all the warp points were one-way. If you clicked the "move-to" arrow and selected the warp point and then clicked the "warp" button you could see the movement lines up to the warp point. However, if you gave it more directions after that, like go to planet X and load troops, the movement lines did not show up past the warp point. In addition, you couldn't say "Load troops at Planet X." The ship couldn't see thru the warp point and would just stay put; no movement lines or anything. You had to give it the warp order first. Is there anything like that in your game? Any funny-looking "spiral" warp points in the ship's path?

[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Dagger.gif[/img]Turin[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon42.gif[/img]

Geekdom is eternal... you will be assimilated... resistance is futile.

A+ Se GdY S++ Fr- C* Cs* Sf- Ai++ Au>M! M- Mp! S@ Ss+ R! Pw+ Fq++ Nd? Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb-- L-- Tcp

'We, the weird, chasing the pointless, for no reason at all, have been finding out things that have no effect on anything important for at least a couple days and are now qualified to chase our tails to the merriment of all watching.'-Narf et al

"Of course, you don't want to be going about handing out immortality willy-nilly, that just wouldn't be responsible." -O'Shea