This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 31st, 2001, 05:12 PM

Captain

Alpha Kodiak is on a distinguished road
Default The Rage Collective v1.2

I have posted the latest Version of the Rage over in the Mod forum. I have included many of the changes suggested in other threads, though I did not change the racial traits. Changing the racial traits would have involved a much larger changes to the research and design files than I was prepared to make at this time.

Please let me know what you think.

Ursoids of the Galaxy, unite!
Old March 31st, 2001, 10:30 PM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Rage Collective v1.2

Very good work, thank you again!
Until now I played only a short game with your new rage Version, but it locks very good.
Old April 1st, 2001, 08:21 AM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road

And the winner is.....

the rage!

I played now over 40 turns with the new Version of the rage and they are number 1. They do really very good and I see nothing at the moment that is wrong. They may very well be the strongest AI race at the moment!
Old April 1st, 2001, 10:11 PM

Private

Devin D.Bass is on a distinguished road

I have been playing with the Rage 1.2 and I have to admit that I've own this game for 5 months and this is the first race that has kicked my butt! Right now I am unable to advance because the Rage is keeping me boxed in. They have great ship design and use great tactics. At this moment I don't have answer to them.

Great Job! This race should be a blue print to other modders!
Old April 2nd, 2001, 01:57 AM

Captain

Thank you all for the excellent feedback! Without the feedback, the Rage would be no where near as effective as they have become.

Again, thanks!

Old April 2nd, 2001, 02:51 AM

Private

JLXC is on a distinguished road

The rage Rocks! They are kicking the poo out of the other races! LOL! Right on.
Old April 5th, 2001, 05:52 AM

Sergeant

jc173 is on a distinguished road

Good god, this is my first long (100+ turns) game with the rage and they are mopping up the universe without breaking a sweat. Even races that normally give me problems (modpack Sergetti etc) are being hammered. Right now the Rage are at war with all four races that have contact with, and so far as I can tell by peaking at the other races in GM mode the Rage are winning all four wars. Even the poor Borg are so devastated that they are actually making trade treaties now with everyone they have contact with. The odd side effect to this is since I'm on the other side of the Galaxy I'm finding it easy to survive and flourish for once because half the AI's are too busy trying to stay alive to give me problems. SO far it's Rage, Me, Xiati, Earth Alliance, XiChung, Sergetti, Sagella, and the Borg, then the neutrals
Old April 9th, 2001, 02:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

Atraikius is on a distinguished road

I happened to notice a noticable weekness in the Rage this weekend, (to some extend it seems to effect most of the races though) In one game, the Rage were destroyed by an AI player in the first 15 turns or so, but I'm not sure who did it.

Then in a game yesterday, I started in the system next to them. After a hostile message from them refusing a Non-Aggression treaty on turn 4, I immediately began attacking them without declaring war, and ended up wiping them out by turn 9. From what I could tell, the problem lay in the fact that since I did not declare war, they never shifted to the attack or defend construction que. This resulted in them not building any noticable defenses on either of the two planets they had, and the continuation of construction of thier colony ships (Which were promptly destroyed).

I have two possible suggestions for you in this case:

1 As a majority of the combats resulted in a stalemate, each time I attacked, thier current anger settings resulted in them getting a little happier with me. This prevented them from reaching an anger level in which they would declare war on me, thus preventing them from switching production to warships and defenses which would have stopped me. (I believe this is what had happened to them by an AI player earlier, with the AI player attacking but not becoming angry enough to declare war, while the Rage did not become angry enough to declare war either).

2 Once again, as a warship or more sufficient planet defenses would have prevented me from eliminating them, either of them earlier in thier exploration que would have given them the protection they needed to hold on long enough to build more warships.
Old April 9th, 2001, 02:06 PM

First Lieutenant

Nitram Draw is on a distinguished road

Well don't make them much tougher, I already dread facing them . Great race.
Old April 9th, 2001, 04:09 PM

Captain

quote:
Originally posted by Atraikius:
I happened to notice a noticable weekness in the Rage this weekend, (to some extend it seems to effect most of the races though) In one game, the Rage were destroyed by an AI player in the first 15 turns or so, but I'm not sure who did it.

Then in a game yesterday, I started in the system next to them. After a hostile message from them refusing a Non-Aggression treaty on turn 4, I immediately began attacking them without declaring war, and ended up wiping them out by turn 9. From what I could tell, the problem lay in the fact that since I did not declare war, they never shifted to the attack or defend construction que. This resulted in them not building any noticable defenses on either of the two planets they had, and the continuation of construction of thier colony ships (Which were promptly destroyed).

I have two possible suggestions for you in this case:

1 As a majority of the combats resulted in a stalemate, each time I attacked, thier current anger settings resulted in them getting a little happier with me. This prevented them from reaching an anger level in which they would declare war on me, thus preventing them from switching production to warships and defenses which would have stopped me. (I believe this is what had happened to them by an AI player earlier, with the AI player attacking but not becoming angry enough to declare war, while the Rage did not become angry enough to declare war either).

2 Once again, as a warship or more sufficient planet defenses would have prevented me from eliminating them, either of them earlier in thier exploration que would have given them the protection they needed to hold on long enough to build more warships.

Excellent observations. Early on in the development of the Rage, I put a twist in the AI that would make a small increase in happiness when you destroy one of their ships. (This was before the personality of the Rage had fully formed.) I wanted to see if I could make the AI make peace with a superior power that was beating them up. It didn't work, and I basically forgot about it. It looks like it can have an unintended side effect early in the game.

When the next patch comes out, I will work on a new Version of the Rage to make sure that it is fully compatible with the patch. At the same time I'll see what I can do about this, as well as a couple of other tweaks that I've been thinking about.

Thanks for the feedback!