This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old April 17th, 2001, 07:00 PM

Private

blazefire is on a distinguished road
Default easier ways to win when at war

i've begun a game were i'm at war with an empire. so far i've been kicking there asses every time they try to enter my systems. i have a partner/military aliance/trade and research alliance with an empire. i've been at war with the empire for a very long time i need to know what to do to minimize the time need to destroy the empire i am currently at war with, so i can move on to othe systems.
Old April 17th, 2001, 07:03 PM

First Lieutenant

Nitram Draw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: easier ways to win when at war

Try asking for their surrender. If your are far ahead of their score they will probably accept.
Old April 17th, 2001, 08:40 PM

Major

DirectorTsaarx is on a distinguished road

Research Stellar Manipulation and blow up their planets/suns/etc. Not very sportsmanlike, but quite effective. Of course, it's also pretty expensive research.

The other main point is to take the war to THEIR systems. You mentioned that you beat them whenever they enter your systems; why aren't you invading their territory and either glassing the planets or taking them whole with ground troops?
Old April 17th, 2001, 08:49 PM

Captain

dmm is on a distinguished road

Yeah, take it to them.

If you're not way ahead of them, they won't surrender. But they might give some planets and/or ships to you if you demand it. Do this enough times and they'll be way behind, and ripe for surrender. But that takes some time, because each demand takes one turn to make and another turn to accept. (And that's assuming they don't just tell you to go soak your head.)

But I think it is always worth your time to obtain a surrender. At least get their homeworld. Glassing them is a waste.
Old April 17th, 2001, 09:36 PM

Corporal

Menschenfresser is on a distinguished road

Here's my favorite:

I believe crew insurrection is 50,000 points. I like to turn this on for what ever empire I am up against, put it on repeat, and just snag as many ships turn after turn. In my present game I have 170,000 intel points so I can have two crew insurrections per turn and still run some counter intel.

Even large empires can't replace them fast enough. Use the ships you steal to cause as much damage before the enemy catches up to them. Most of the ones I end up with are in orbit. They rarely Last more than a couple turns. I am presently doing this against a much larger empire than myself...it really drains them.

War of attrition. It may not be faster, but half the fun is routing your opponents in a creative manner.
Old April 17th, 2001, 10:42 PM

Private

Str8_Gain is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by Menschenfresser:
Here's my favorite:

I believe crew insurrection is 50,000 points. I like to turn this on for what ever empire I am up against, put it on repeat, and just snag as many ships turn after turn. In my present game I have 170,000 intel points so I can have two crew insurrections per turn and still run some counter intel.

Even more fun is when you're a Psychic race going against another Psychic race, and you use Crew Insurrection and Alliegance Subverters. Last night, I engaged in Tactical Combat with the Cue Cappa. It was 4 of my ships (3 equipped with AS III) versus nine of his. I Subverted one, then had that ship subvert the ship next to it, and that one did the same to the one next to it, etc. Sweet chain reaction, and it bolstered my forces considerably.

Crew Insurrection is really cool when you take their front-line shiny new battleship away from them and glass a few core worlds with it.
Old April 18th, 2001, 11:00 AM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

I like the blockade / invade / surrender approach. I _never_ fire on planets from orbit (I'm just too nice)

The trick with AIs is to work out their weaknesses - In my 1plyr game I've just conquered the Terran homeworld system with just 5 ships, bcause they use nothing but cap missiles and fightrs w/ rocket pods. I'm way bhind in tech and resources but I cleared up with dedicated point defence ships, troop ships, fighters and satllites. (I recently took out an entire fleet using only a frigate carrying 4 satellites)

I'll ask them to surrender now, and start grabbing their tech by crew insurrection.

------------------
There is an exception to every rule. Including this one.
Old April 18th, 2001, 02:24 PM

Captain

Dracus is on a distinguished road

I have whole fleets built of nothing but crews ins. ships
Old April 18th, 2001, 07:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

chewy027 is on a distinguished road

Blaze a strategy I like to use is to close all of the warp points going into the target system. Then when I'm done conquering all of those planets I open the warp back up into the next system and then close all the warps in that system etc. This way you effectively attack one part of an empire at a time and can use your whole fleet against a small percentage of theirs. Just research stellar manipulation a couple of times to get warp open and close components
Old April 18th, 2001, 08:33 PM

Corporal

Menschenfresser is on a distinguished road

Used that one as well, Chewy, but to keep those stellar manips running around between your systems to have their parts fixed and the enemies sucks up a lot of resources, and it's also too costly to mothball them every few turns. Time I tried this, my fleet took out the entire system of say 8 planets in 3 turns.

I like it, but beware of the resource drain...after a few turns I started to panic.

[This message has been edited by Menschenfresser (edited 18 April 2001).]