This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 20th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road
Default SE V questions

Some questions to people who know SE V better than I, who just started to explore the demo version:

1.) ordnance: weapons seem to have no built in ordnance supply (like engines have built in supplies). Still ships seem to be able to fight even if they have no special ordnance supply component. How does ordnance work?
2.) Is there any better cargo transfer order (like in SE IV load troops, fighters, mines)?? Or do you really have to mark all individual units in the cargo transfer window, which is very annoying?
3.) With full technologies in intel researched, do you get the possibility to target a specific enemy ship/planet for sabotage?
4.) From the weapons reports I get the impression that seekers too can miss their target. If true, what is then the advantage of missiles compared to beam weapons, which damage the target faster than seekers and can't be shot down by point defense?
5.) Is there any reason to research a hull technology beyond level 5? You get with the same research points the first 2 or even 3 levels of the new bigger hull class.
6.) Do drones work? In the combat simulator they just sit there and did not attack the enemy in my test.

I am sure I will have more question.
Many thanks for all answers.
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:00 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE V questions

I was just moving troops to a transport. I learnt that pressing shift allows 10 at a time like when choosing research, but also there is a counter at the bottom with a choice of 1 or more at a time and then all.

I might be wrong. I started the demo to check but got sidetracked with a simulation, which promptly froze. I can't be bothered checking again.
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:10 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

1) Only some weapons (like missiles) use ordnance. Such weapons generally store a small amount, but you usually want a few ordnance bays around for longer missions.

2) Cargo is one of the remaining sticking points in the UI.

4) Missiles can not miss. Perhaps it is the evasion value of the missile itself, used when PDC target it?

5) No, but people allegedly wanted "infinite" tech levels, so there are way more levels than there need to be in many cases.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:05 AM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road

I just found for 2.) That you can use the hotkey "O" (or in cargo management submenu the same order) to completely upload or drop any type of cargo as in SE IV.
First you chose the ship then "O" then the location you want to upload or drop the cargo (can be the current sector of the ship too), then the cargo type and that is it.
Old September 21st, 2006, 04:49 AM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road

Is it possible in SEV to get racial technology like temporal, organic, crystalline etc by trading the technology or analyzing enemy ships, if you don't have the racial trait for it?
Old September 21st, 2006, 07:10 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

How do I get ministers to work in the demo?
Would like to hand over exploration and minelaying to the ministers after some time, but my minelayer only sat there doing nothing, despite having proper ship class, mines in several planets cargo, ship showing minister icon and "mines" minister active???
Old September 21st, 2006, 12:02 PM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

I have a sort of question. It's not to learn something just to wonder why ever it is the way it is.

There are 3 large icons for planets, fleets and ships. Why? They are huge and block out a lot. I have found that by having the emblem on black (black it seems being transparent) it floats above them and you can see on the other side. I changed the graphic so it just shows a smaller empire symbol and either a circle, triangle or small ship silohuete, for planet, fleet, ship. It just seems to make more sense. The good thing too is that you can customise it for each race.
Old September 21st, 2006, 01:36 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Actually that re-sizing of flags has already been done by SJ, the link is around here somewhere. I'm fairly confident the smaller icons will be added in a patch.
Old September 21st, 2006, 03:06 PM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road

Are there multiplex tracking components in SEV? The demo doesn't have any. So is there a limit to how many different targets that can be targeted simultaneously by different weapons on a ship?
Old September 21st, 2006, 03:10 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

No multiplex sensors in SE:V. The ship will fire at as many ships as its strategy and weapon capacity allows for. These settings are indirectly controlled by setting various damage % levels in a strategy. There's a thread here that SJ explains more about it...