.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 31st, 2007, 10:51 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road
Default Can I win a war with everyone? Advice?

What should I do when I'm at War with the entire world? I'm Niefelheim, strong income scales, E9N9 imprisoned cyclops.

I *was* the biggest and most powerful player by a considerable margin, but I chose the wrong ally, and generally mishandled the diplomatic situation.

However, my desperate ploy with an army of more-or-less-exclusively niefel jarls seems to be paying off, and I'm smashing the armies that were besieging my home fortresses, with surprisingly few losses.

Now, however, I'm in a poor state. I'm down to very few provinces, most of my bloodhunters are dead, as are the residents of one of my research gardens and my only source of earth magic outside of my God.

All five enemy players are continuing to pursue economic warfare against me - retaking provinces as soon as my armies vacate and I can barely pay the salary on my troops, let alone buy province defense.

I need some way to get my enemies to break ranks, just for a bit of breathing room, but they've shown no signso f that so far.

Advice?
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:07 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can I win a war with everyone? Advice?

Bribes. Massive ones. Go to the weakest player and promise him a fortune in gems, gold, or items.
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:15 AM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

From your description the situation looks hopeless. You can only hope for some diplomatic miracle, but I can't imagine why any of the opposing players would risk angering his allies no matter what you offer.

Generally, this situation (getting a big alliance going against you) comes sooner or later if you're winning. Good diplomacy can only delay it or make it less synchronized. Fighting defensive war in such circumstances is very difficult (unless you're undead Ermor or water nation). I was usually going for the opponent I could conquer quickest. Don't bother about provinces much, take his capital and/or other fortresses. The time is critical here - you're racing against them destroying your income. Then go for the next opponent etc... They will still hurt your economy pretty badly, but at some point you'll be able to start taking provinces back. It looks you could have managed it if you went for it right from the start of the war; now it seems unlikely to happen, but if the map is small you can still try. Besides, when the opponent loses most his army and crucial fortresses and faces total obliteration he might be more open towards peaceful talks
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:22 AM

Major General

I conquered one of my opponents, but it didn't do much good - the remainder were still more than I could handle . At some point I decided that taking the last of his provinces wasn't worth it and marched my army back home.

I could've finished him off, I suppose, but I didn't think he'd be able to do much (as it turns out, I was wrong.)
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old February 1st, 2007, 07:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

Sandman is on a distinguished road

Whatever you do, don't let them know that their strategy is working...
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:19 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

You're doomed! Muwahahaha!

(which opponent did you conquer by the way?)
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM

Major General

Vanheim.
Old February 1st, 2007, 10:24 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

My advice would be to remain passive and trying to hide your strength - play (almost) defeated. Make the other players feel guilty when they smash the small groups of units you - in a (seemingly) hopeless attempt to save yourself - try to defend with. Let them see you as non threatful.
When you've managed the above you can finally start making peace with the strongest (because to them you are most insignificant) of your enemies. Try to offer them something non threatful (to them) in return for your loyalty. Examples would be information or letting them dictate how much area you can have to "live on". Let them think they have total control over your actions.
When that is settled they will focus their energies on the more threatful weaker allies. That will give you some breathing room, but don't make too big moves as the enemy you have come to terms with will start to suspect something.
Play two games, one for your "ally" and one in secrecy. Give him everything he asks for and at the same time build up your forces in a distant province (try to teleport somewhere) you know he will not look at or won't suspect.
At this time your "ally" will probably also be in war one or several other players - players you will help him attack - but at the same time you must make deals with them. Promise them to attack your "lord" from "within" when the time comes. In the meantime you and they attack each other just for show. Let your "lord" see that you are useful and loyal.
But always remember while doing these things: play and act naive, stupid and pathetic, don't show strengths such as resourcefulness, initiative and "cleverness".

When the wall of deceit is built and your "lord" is in war with several others due to you helping him expand his power, you and your allies strike - you strike hard and fast. But try to convince your allies that the operation will not work (you are too "weak") unless they take on his main forces (give them the coordinates you probably have due to being a loyal snake)". When their forces are being blunted you can grab the rich back country regions and finally start building up world domination again.

Remember, mercy can get you far but not against a merciless enemy. So don't try this with those or they will only laugh at you.

Good luck!
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:03 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Wow, that's creepy and dangerous (for everyone else) advice. Glad I can read this too!

To be honest I think that might well work if you were anyone but Niefelheim. But personally, I find the giants and jarls so terrifyingly impervious to almost anything that I'll not feel safe so long as they're around, even in small numbers. Seriously, even one jarl on the loose with a few trinkets can destroy any amount of PD. At least if other people feel like I do, I'm not sure if you can play Niefelheim (N9E9, at least) and have allies. I might just be on my own there though, I'm not sure.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:26 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

Indeed, that is the problem with being strong but not the strongest - you can't pretend to be a mouse when you are a buffalo and the hunt is on. You can, however, try to convince the hunters that you are better off alive and on their side (using your strength to their benefit) than dead. Though, to agree on this they must believe that they, whenever they want, can put you down (kill you), or they will see you as a threat. You have at least one good argument on your side to use with this kind of deal: "When you kill me you can't revive me to be able to benefit from my unique (keyword) strengths again". That will perhaps keep you alive for a while, if not you may at least get a turn or two when they think about what they might destroy that can't be replaced. But take heed, most of them will sooner or later come to the conclusion that it is safer to have you dead than to use you as some kind of unreliable weapon that can be pointed in any direction. But by then you've built up a secret strength somewhere so you can strike first. Always strike first. And by that I mean in the mind. Always be one step ahead. The enemy may think they've struck first but that was because you wanted them to.