This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 6th, 2003, 05:18 PM

Private

Hiruu is on a distinguished road
Default Upcoming 4X games!

Okay, with the release (and disappointment!!!) or MOO3, I've been thinking about upcoming 4X games and my the need to fulfil the gap and here's my personal list:

1) Imperium Galactica 3...the demo is stunning for those interested in combat. I've played the other two games and these guys are really the undercover gaints in this business.

2) Hegemonia (sp!) I bought this and won the game, but I found it too restrictive and limited in scope. The graphics engine was crisp and clean and bug free. Great game to trade around and play to the end.

3) Galactic Civilization...I don't know much about this one, but I've been researching it since getting MOO3 and seeing the ad in the box.

4) Last but not least, SE's own entrant into the 3-D arena...don't know much about it, but it's by Aaron and his crew, so it's gotta be good!

Well, what else is there?
Old March 6th, 2003, 07:45 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Upcoming 4X games!

Quote:
1) Imperium Galactica 3...the demo is stunning for those interested in combat. I've played the other two games and these guys are really the undercover gaints in this business.
I never played IG 1, but IG 2 was not a good game. Even on the lower difficulty settings, the AIs cheated way too much to be enjoyable. Also, the game had more eye candy than substance.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 6th, 2003, 08:27 PM

Private

Hiruu is on a distinguished road

It did cheat alot, but the game had many great features. I've not played it in 3-4 years, but I liked the combat system, both planetary and Space. I also liked the method in which space travel was handled, but I hated the fairly linear storyline. IG3's demo was smooth and crisp, and if they get the other aspects of the game firmed up, it will be a hit!
Old March 7th, 2003, 12:32 AM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

I just can't get myself interested in GalCiv, even with its cool politics system, because you can only play as the Terrans probably just a rationalization for sticking with MOO3 through all its troubles
Old March 8th, 2003, 12:40 AM

Captain

raynor is on a distinguished road

I just read several articles posted by beta testers of Gal Civ. It sounds like Gal Civ will use the same graphics for all ships. You won't be able to design your own ships. You won't be able to do tactical ship combat. Instead, space combat will be stack based like in Civ.

But... Galactic Civilizations will feature a mult-threaded AI. In a single threaded game, the computer only has a short amount of time to make all its decisions. It has only the time between when you click 'End Turn' and the time that most players will reasonably wait for a response. On the other hand, Galactic Civilizations has just as much time as the player takes and can thus consider a much wider number of factors.

In my opinion, Gal Civ will succeed or fail based on the strength of its AI. I think I read a forum article where they said that it has four or five levels of AI difficulty before the computer starts cheating. If that is the case, then I really can't wait to play the game.
Old March 8th, 2003, 02:38 AM

Corporal

klausD is on a distinguished road

ad galciv:

yes you cannot design your own ships and the combat model is like CIV I/CIV II. You know 1 ships attacks another and combat is till death. I hope this will be changed in a patch. The designers promised to support the game at least 1,5 years with patches and expansions. And the rest of the game looks very good. And it should have a killer AI.

klausD
Old March 8th, 2003, 02:40 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiruu:
It did cheat alot, but the game had many great features. I've not played it in 3-4 years, but I liked the combat system, both planetary and Space. I also liked the method in which space travel was handled, but I hated the fairly linear storyline. IG3's demo was smooth and crisp, and if they get the other aspects of the game firmed up, it will be a hit!
That's right.... it also had no replay value, and very stale races. There was no customizability at all.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.