.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 11th, 2006, 01:59 AM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road
Default WTF? Gold?!

The gold to resource ratio is NOT balanced correctly at all. I understand this was to help people build bigger armies but it gives high gold to resource ratio nations way too big an advantage IMO. I'm playing games where I'm surplusing 1K+ gold because I just don't have the resources to keep up, this is WITH splurging on mercs as well. Nations like Ctis, Ryleh and Jotuns are going to be terrors it seems while the Japanese Late Era and other high resource themes seem kind of screwed.
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

Valandil is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WTF? Gold?!

Then set the multiplyers differantly. You know the way of it.

Old October 11th, 2006, 02:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road

I'm not directly disagreeing, but since the way we should play the game is going to change, might I suggest burning the gold on more castles? Come up with a system where when you notice a particular surplus developing, put down another castle. I know in the beginning this surplus outpaces the speed with which you can actualy build commanders to place the castles, but if you hire like 1 scout dedicated to raising castles, it might work.

Also try more labs for faster mage production and temples in every province. I'm sure there is a balance somewhere, but I wouldn't be surprised if things are a little unbalanced in the midst of all these changes right now, too. I might even restart my current Mictlan game simply so I can get a grip on managing my finances better. I too have a huge surplus that is running away from me. I also have that damn R'yleh spilling out of the seas running around in the lands I claimed as my own. I just can't quit this one ... just ... yet ...

=$=
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:30 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Valandil said:
Yeah.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 11th, 2006, 03:16 AM

Corporal

moodgiesanta is on a distinguished road

Well more gold just means you can build more castles to be able to build resource intensive units. Also in most cases in the late age from what I've seen a ton of gold just isn't a replacement for resource-heavy troops. Sure you can throw tons of no-armor troops at heavy infantry but they are going to die in droves, especially if you've got good archery support. With all the crossbows and whatnot in the late age you pretty much need the heavy armor to stand a chance against massed archers.
Old October 11th, 2006, 06:44 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nerfix said:
Quote:
Valandil said:
Yeah.

Word.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:10 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

IIRC, different ages have different amount of resources in the world. Did you notice the gold surplus in early or late age? The starting terrain also factors into this, as C'tis probably starts in a swamp or fresh water province or something, while Ulm starts in/near forest/mountains, and Agartha in mountains, etc.
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Captain

Twan is on a distinguished road

Once you have a sufficient number of castles you can't have too many gold.
If a Ct'is player spend all his gold on 1 ressource troops instead of making forts, he must rush all other players fast, or one of them, making 10 castles then spending his gold on 30+ ressources troops, will destroy him . I think it's balanced as it is.
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

I've never enough gold... It may be that you don't build enough castles and labs, so can't recruit much mages.
Magic goes a long way towards improving fragile troops - for example a lowly prot-8 unit is rather scary once Protected, Legions of Steeled-ed and Ethereal !
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:33 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PDF said:
I've never enough gold... It may be that you don't build enough castles and labs, so can't recruit much mages.
Magic goes a long way towards improving fragile troops - for example a lowly prot-8 unit is rather scary once Protected, Legions of Steeled-ed and Ethereal !

Thats good as it is actually. We can't spam so many mages at least like we could in Doms 2. In fact I still think that the mages should be even more expensive.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."