.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 12th, 2006, 12:09 AM

Sergeant

Fate is on a distinguished road
Default Which Angel?

I am new to the Dominions universe. I played the Dom2 and Dom1 demos starting late last year, and my first full game is Dom3, as of <1 week ago ( ).

I was playing a Pythium game and dutifully following the sacred tome's strategy blurb, which said to get angels. So I did.

Boy are those things beasts of power. The harbingers have high-accuracy 15 AP damage, the angels of wrath have fear and blood vengeance +2, the Arch Angel has awe and a flambeau, and the sibyl has unbelievably high paths.

So I am asking, which angel would you go for? I personally like the look of the Angels of the Host, and the Arch Angel, but the health and special of the Angel of Fury just makes me get excited. I have an Angel of Fury raising solo hell in Ermor with a Green eye and Rune Smasher (to increase blood vengeance effectiveness), Percival (a pocket knight!), Barrier, Cloak of Shadows, and the Boots of Antaeus.

So, I would just like to hear from the longer-term Dominions players what they think, and what would make some awesome SC Angels (irrespective of gem cost).
Old October 12th, 2006, 12:29 AM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which Angel?

I don't think penetration effects pre attached blood vengeance. At least that's what I hear. Angel of Fury is probably my selected generic thug chassis for angels while Seraphs are obviously the SC's. Harbingers are very ho-hum and Angelic Host is more of a remote/raider than anything. (Also not bad battle magic)
Old October 12th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

I dont think green eye/rune smasher helps with blood vengance either. I would stick with angels of fury, the harbingers are pretty poor vrs anything other than undead (and still suck in combat so are hard to use solo), as KB said angelic host is mainly for raiding.

Basically stick with angels of fury (I like faithful, nice shield, robe of shadows, horror helm, boots of the messenger, ring of regen and whatever you want for your last misc) unless you have arcane nexus/more gems than you can spend in which case consider the heavenly choir (the non commander harbingers suck, the angels of the choir are pathetic but that seraph is godly)
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:17 PM

Sergeant

Frostmourne27 is on a distinguished road

Angels of the Choir sound like they REALLY need a boost. Can someone describe their stats/equipment in more detail for my poor demo-bound soul? It seems that I accidentally got imprisonned instead of bound in sleep...
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:05 AM

Sergeant

Fate is on a distinguished road

Ok, it is a 7S2F spell for 144 gems. You get an insane, 7 map move 4S4A4F4H Seraph, 3 Harbingers w/ heavenly horns (AoE 5 AP damage), and 9 AotC.

Their stats (in their entirety, according to the manual) are:

14 HP, 12 Str, 7 Prt, 11Att, 18 Mor, 12 Def, 16 MR, 13 Prec, 1 Enc, 3/16 Mv. They are Sacred, Need Not Eat, SR + FR 50%, Awe+4 and Magic Beings. They have no weapons and H2 (but aren't commanders, so they need GoR to use it?). They drop like flies to friendly horns.

Ps, I haven't had good results with the Angelic Hosts summon used as a raid. They cracked on enemy AI home PD (which I assume was 25). I find it more useful to summon in my own territory and then attack next turn with 2 or more of them (or along with my full army).
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:24 AM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

No one cares about the Angel of Coirs, Harbingers are nice but really you're paying for the Seraph anyone who is uber.

Also raiding implies going for lightly defended provinces, you'll find them surprisingly effective if you use ample scouting since flying will give enemy nightmares. For extra effect. After the initial raid, keep the angels on guard commander and just script x5 falling fires instead.
Old October 13th, 2006, 01:44 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

You forgot to mention that, aswell as the AoTC being troops the harbingers are also troops (both needing GoR to use their priestly/magic powers). I made a post about this a while ago called Marignon National Summons