.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 20th, 2008, 04:08 AM

Corporal

Saarud is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Well, I\'m through with the game

I am enjoying SP as well... alot. I play on all kinds of maps big and small though I do prefer smaller when playing only AIs. The thing is that the AI in most (like 95%) of the strategy games I play are a pushover so I have a habit of restricting myself with alot of houserules. With strict houserules you suddenly get new challenges and you have to develop new strategies. What houserules to use? Well that's up to the player... whatever makes the game harder and more fun seems like a good houserule.
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
sector24 said:
I'm surprised you got to turn 100. In single player I find the micromanagement after turn 50-60 to border on the unbearable. Who wants to recruit from 12+ castles and attack on 8 different fronts while bloodhunting from 12 different provinces?
Zeldor and Gandalf Parker come to mind.
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

kasnavada is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The thing is that the AI in most (like 95%) of the strategy games I play
There is no AI capable of handling hard-core fans, whatever the game. I don't claim having seen everything of course, but, up to now, every single AI I played or heard about had flaws that could be exploited for an easy win on whatever difficulty level... In dominions, SC and thugs certainly fall into this category.

One possible thing would be to be able to mod the AI. I do not know if that is possible for Dominions.
* Darwi Odrade
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:15 AM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

ehm if you think it lasts to long to kill every one you have to set better goals
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:18 AM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

It's not about time and scale. It simply isn't fun, when AI constatly does extremely stupid things. Starting from pretender design, then unit recruitment, magic use, starving armies, making suicide attacks...

LA Agartha guide
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:55 AM

First Lieutenant

Cor2 is on a distinguished road

I agree with Ballbarian!

I still enjoy playing SP. Usually quit after mid game, but its still alot of fun.
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:57 AM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Saulot said: I'm still pretty confident that there are plenty of SP players who are lurking, or don't even visit these boards, who are enjoying the game without MP.
<raises hand>

I'm generally a late adopter on games; I've only had the full version of Dom3 long enough to start three SP games, and haven't finished any of them yet. I'd like to finish at least one SP game before I attempt MP.

My experience with Space Empires IV, which is the only computer game for which I've played a significant number of MP games, is that I alternate between getting tired of dominating the AI in SP and getting tired of being crushed by humans in MP. I find that I don't particularly enjoy the style of play that seems to be required to be competitive in MP.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:58 AM

Sergeant

mathusalem is on a distinguished road

you should start a game with all players as humain, then you give to all nation a optimized dominion and pretendant, stale turn yours one turn and set to AI others.
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:59 AM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

Comperatively the AI in dominions is worse than in other games. Dominions has so much options that while AI in games has usually say x different strategies, it might also have those in dominions but x is just to low compared to all options here.
- Ai should have better pretender/scales design
- AI should be able to get enough supplies for itself
- AI should have notion of which troops are good/decent/bad and never spend money on anything in the bad group (couldn't you add a secret tag to troops saying this?)
- AI should be able to somewhat use and counter SC/thugs...

sure they will never beat humans but then SP would already be somewhat better and in SP more would be needed from a player.
In SP I coudn't really see why a SC would be so good.. since my regular armies and 1-2 mages also beat everything.. my first MP game showed me differently

MP rocks
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

kasnavada is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In SP I coudn't really see why a SC would be so good.. since my regular armies and 1-2 mages also beat everything.. my first MP game showed me differently
I couldn't agree more. I'm learning to see dominions and tactics differently since I started MP games. I learned that scripting could make the difference between losing and winning (I found some of the winning ones and lots of the losing ones), the point of using thugs and SC, the effect of micromanagement, that raiding actually hurts a lot. Hell, I even have found at least one good way to use harpies in a pangaean army (not patrolling!). And I'm not yet above turn 30 in the MP games I play...
* Darwi Odrade