.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 23rd, 2008, 04:15 AM

Corporal

Saarud is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Well, I\'m through with the game

Quote:
Hmm, I wonder if Dominions could compare with say, Warlords in terms of SP. On the other hand, you could also make it more like a "build a SC" RPG if you scattered powerful magic gear around the map that you would have to defeat specific monsters to get, like the Sun Gear.
That's funny you said that because I am trying to make a scenario based on the game Warlords. In this scenario one of the main objectives is to create rules that the AI can deal with. Pretenders and scales are preset. Every city has their own unique units (made unique to that city through a magic site). No nation has national units but instead their starting province magic sites will provide them with some good "national units". Also the gameplay will focus on troops so SC and to some degree thugs will be no existance. Also I am trying to make spells less powerful and more unique to different mages or nations. All the provinces resources and gold are edited to create a balanced game for all nations.

All in all the scenario will be streamlined to make the AI better but also to provide a MP scenario for those of us that don't like SCs and thugs.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:46 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tichy said:
KO: I'm not sure I understand your explanation for random scales. Why would the effect of a pretending being's aura on the land be random? Why wouldn't it have something to do with the kind of being that is doing the pretending?

So it'd seem to make more sense, given what you said your aim is, to tie scales thematically to pretender, so any nation led by a PoD would have death scales, Lord of the Hunt growth, Oracle magic, Lady of Fortune luck etc.
My point is that it is the scales that make the pretender into a being of growth or turmoil, not the physical appearence. But I agree that it would feel thematically nice to have a fertility god that looks as one.

In the case of, say an Oracle, or generic titan there is nothing to say what kind of dominion it should have. A titan might very well be a being of storms, thunder, devastation and turmoil. Many middle eastern gods were gods of death and rebirth, and should probably have dominions of growth half of the year (death the other half?) and order, since the change of the seasons is a recurring event. Gods of death might have dominions of growth since they command death and pestilence and keep it from the living. Other gods might be harsh and punishing and combine the worst kind of environment combined with a demand for utter order and servitude. If this god uses death magic, fire or sparingly gives fertility to the few blessed is up to your imagination.

Gods do not follow conventions very much. So totally random scales felt OK and gives greater variation. When you meet the Oracle of death you start to think about what kind of pretending god it is. God of all putrid waters? or perhaps the Thief of Freshness that draws the life from the land in an effort to aid its inhabitants and send destruction upon the enemies of the land.

If I redesigned the game I would perhaps begin with scales and then get a few available chassis from there on, but I'm quite fond of random gods. It sparkles my imagination at least
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:53 AM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

I love the idea of role-playing in the game. I don't do it enough, and it might be fun to start a MP game where role-playing was emphasized. The yarnspinner games were sort of like that, but I was too lazy to write regularly.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:18 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Kristoffer O said: Gods do not follow conventions very much. So totally random scales felt OK and gives greater variation.
The scales only seem random to our mere mortal intellects. The gods' aspects make perfect sense in the light of their ineffible divine wisdom.

Or maybe it's just that the gods must be crazy.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:42 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

Well it's a strategy game too, and strategy gaming sort of demands opponents that put up a fight. No offence KO but SP dominions 3 just isn't as nice to play as in MP (which usually is so IMHO but I mean it's less nice than MP compared to other games (does this make sense?)).

It's your game of course but I think a majority of the people here would think it was a better game if there was some AI behind choosing the scales (or several dozen pre-created pretenders) just becuase it would then put up more of a fight and not kill itself
Other improvemets to AI would also be nice but just the scales would already help a lot.. or the OPTION to select that (as mentioned above).

As MP game I think is a very good game, as SP not so good.

PS I think the original poster of the thread would indeed be best of to forget dominions 3, if you don't want MP (which is great) and don't like the SP (which I can relate to somewhat) then please have fun with other games
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 01:22 PM

Sergeant

Tichy is on a distinguished road

Fantastic.

"FEAR ME! FOR I AM THE THIEF OF FRESHNESS"

"Noooo! All our breads, they are croutons now! We are lost!"
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:36 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

What's wrong with croutons ? Aren't they nice in soups?
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:11 PM

Sergeant

Tichy is on a distinguished road

If what the thief of freshness does to bread doesn't scare you...take a look a the soup.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

moderation is on a distinguished road

Does it make the soup undead?
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:53 PM

Corporal

AstralWanderer is on a distinguished road

Aezeal said:
Well it's a strategy game too, and strategy gaming sort of demands opponents that put up a fight...It's your game of course but I think a majority of the people here would think it was a better game if there was some AI behind choosing the scales (or several dozen pre-created pretenders) just becuase it would then put up more of a fight and not kill itself

I'd second this - I personally do not game online (so won't ever try MP for Dominions or anything else) and would suggest that many "anti-social gamers" are less likely to post at forums, hence the MP bias here.

The exploration/role-playing aspects are certainly fine for the initial games, but a competent AI is really necessary for long-term appeal.

In the case of scales, it would seem fairly simple to keep the random generation but to add a sanity check to force a reroll when a clearly unfavourable combination (Turmoil/Death/Misfortune) comes up. Having more specific selection criteria for certain nations (LA Ermor probably doesn't need Growth, the Nordic nations shouldn't choose Heat) would help the AI without decreasing variety.