The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old July 11th, 2008, 03:52 PM

Private

stormbringer3 is on a distinguished road
Default AAA Question.

I think I need some guidance on using AAA. When I fly an air mission my aircraft always encounters robust AAA. When the AI has an air mission, my AAA is usually silent except for AFV AAMG fire. Are there restrictions such as if in my turn the AAA moved if SP type, unloaded if stationary type, or if no movement, must it be in a certain terrain? I tend to have AAA at top, middle and bottom of the map so I don't think range is an issue. Perhaps just bad luck? Thanks for any info.
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Private

Demtrek is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AAA Question.

Smoke, line of sight, and range all play a factor.
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:16 PM

Captain

thatguy96 is on a distinguished road

Range might not be an issue, but terrain blocking might be. If you have your AAA in a valley and an aircraft flies in from behind a hill it might not spot it until its too late, or only fire once its passed, if at all.

Movement definitely affects unloading and loading, but I'm not sure about SPAAA movement. Their vision and the vision on the map might be an additional factor, especially when combined with terrain issues mentioned before (terrain height and type).
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:52 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

As does movement (if you move in a turn, you are less likely to fire AAA in the following arty phase), and being locked onto a ground target - if you are currently prosecuting some grunts with your flak (or a vehicle with an AAMG), then less chance it will fire at passing planes as your interest is currently elsewhere. Also experience - an experience roll is taken to fire AAA, lesser experienced crews will therefore fire less often.

Best place for flak is on a bare open hilltop with 360 degree arcs of fire, on a map with long sight lines (good visibility).

Range can be an issue - if past 50-60% of current visibility, then the to-hit chance is reduced a bit and that could take the estimated chance below what the gunner thinks is worth opfiring on.

Cheers
Andy
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:13 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road

I always try when possible to have only 50% of my AAA assets moving at any given time. Plus I try to move them to locations with good coverage including ensuring they are overlooking at least some of my units. High tops are good when there is long-range visibility, however, this I find also increases the chance that JABO's will go after them instead. Remember, also shot down fighters are good but interfering with the attack is a good thing as well and in real combat AAA did more of the later. It's hard to aim when flak and tracer are flying around you!!

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe