.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old February 10th, 2009, 08:31 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CPCS - CrossPathCombatSpells - v0.2 is out!

You could make the Gaia spell MR-negates. I'm not quite sure what the justification would be, but it would make it more reasonable. A crazy thing you could add to it would be summoning of some vinemen as well. As in, the vegetation comes alive, some of it grabbing the enemies and some of it forming vinemen to finish them off.

good idea combining a buff witha summon or a damage spell with a summon.. at leat one should be in and this might be the best option.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:33 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

or just summons.. summons are nice and decent battle magic and a bit overlooked till now.. don't knwo which paths you are missing but summons shoudl fill at least 2-3 spells. Especially in the paths which already have decent combat spells a summoning would add more than just another damage spell.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old February 11th, 2009, 08:10 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeast View Post
I don't believe sacred rushes are now considered overpowered, are they? I'm not sure.

You could make the Gaia spell MR-negates. I'm not quite sure what the justification would be, but it would make it more reasonable. A crazy thing you could add to it would be summoning of some vinemen as well. As in, the vegetation comes alive, some of it grabbing the enemies and some of it forming vinemen to finish them off
You might be right, I haven't seen anyone complaining about it for the last month. Stradegy Guides seem to have switches the tactis people use. Perhaps I'm still traumatized by my first MP game?

Nice idea with the vineman summoning. I can imagine some fat mage going like, "I can't be bothered to both tie and beat them up, why can't the spell do it for me?".

Quote:
Yeah, my feeling is that probably you should leave out overarching balance attempts, like "nerf sacred rushes". That's really down to QM and CBM, and if you feel his efforts aren't sufficient you could always make a bonus mini-mod with an anti-sacred spell.
I thought about this, and it seems that I've got yet another future project coming. As a side effect of figuring out spell ideas for this mod, I've got like dozen ideas for crosspath holy spells. Once I've cleared my other projects*, I'll start doing a "Priestly Domination" mod, to give priestly magic some extra "oomph".

I don't believe sacred rushes are now considered overpowered, are they? I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedalkenBear View Post
Burn: We can't actually give resistances? How awful. That would give us so many more tools....

The reason that the Ice spell has two damage components, with one that does 'extra' damage to Undead, is so that it can actually hurt them... rather like Astral Fire is the only Fire that burns underwater, I wanted Celestial Ice to be the only type of Ice that can hurt Undead.

D/W

Stygian Flow
DW
Range: 40+
AoE: 1+
Effect: Feeblemind
Oh, you meant it as a twin to Astral Flames? Oh, now I get it. I'll move the "celestial waters" to the future priest mod and take the celestial ice on the mod.

Stygian Flow: Proably MR resists, right? I'm having the oddest compulsion to intentionally mispell it as Styxian Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeal View Post
You could make the Gaia spell MR-negates. I'm not quite sure what the justification would be, but it would make it more reasonable. A crazy thing you could add to it would be summoning of some vinemen as well. As in, the vegetation comes alive, some of it grabbing the enemies and some of it forming vinemen to finish them off.

good idea combining a buff witha summon or a damage spell with a summon.. at leat one should be in and this might be the best option.
Llamabeast beat you to it.

Quote:
or just summons.. summons are nice and decent battle magic and a bit overlooked till now.. don't knwo which paths you are missing but summons shoudl fill at least 2-3 spells. Especially in the paths which already have decent combat spells a summoning would add more than just another damage spell.
Oh, there is actually 2 of them in them in the 0.2 (W/N summon kokytiads and D/N animate manikins) and the Clayman battle summon will likely be 0.3

* In order of completion:
- Mapping of explsprites and flightsprites
- CPCS and starting a MP game with it.
- Updating Alugra and starting a MP game with it.

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old February 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsaber View Post

Quote:

Llamabeast beat you to it.
Most of Aezeal's post was actually a copy of mine. Confused me muchly!
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old February 11th, 2009, 08:36 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I have to say by the way, this mod is looking great. Sorry I haven't gotten around to the grammar bug-hunting yet. I'm actually quite looking forward to it. When I do I'll probably produce a bazillion comments and suggestions as well.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road

Burn: Actually, the Styg(x)ian Waters spell was directly intended to _not_ have MR resists. Yes, it's meant to be a mage-killer.

Any way we can actually 'silence' casters for a combat?
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have to say by the way, this mod is looking great. Sorry I haven't gotten around to the grammar bug-hunting yet. I'm actually quite looking forward to it. When I do I'll probably produce a bazillion comments and suggestions as well.
No rush. I'm currently working on the #explsprites and #Flightsprites, since mapping them will help me to make this mod just that small bit better. I think I really nailed "Curse of the Four Horsemen". It has very ominous combination of graphical effects. I'm so ahead of scheducle that I can dip on this kind of side project for a while (I have already mapped to 10180! I'll probably manage to release them in the weekned.

I'll gracefully accept any suggestions on themes and balance. I've mostly struggling to get the spells written in code, making them work and finding the right blingblings for them to do any real balance testing. Most of the current values are rough estimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedalkenBear View Post
Burn: Actually, the Styg(x)ian Waters spell was directly intended to _not_ have MR resists. Yes, it's meant to be a mage-killer.

Any way we can actually 'silence' casters for a combat?
Curse you casting AI, curse you! You have once again foiled a great spell! The AI is too dumb to specifically target mages with that spell, it would most likely throw it against the highest HP target. Besides, Feeblemind is totally crippling affliction, it would destroy SC's on the spot. (I mean, loss of magic and -5 MR, ouch!). Way too powerful.

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

Burn: I'm well aware of what effect Feeblemind has on SCs. That was the point.

I had an idea for a Blood/Astral combat spell, but I don't think it can be done. Can you create a spell that does 'Astral Corruption' for the length of a combat? That is, any non-Blood spell cast has a chance to call a Horror to the battle?

S/E

Spectral Blades
SE
Range: 40+
Fat: 30-
Prec: 1
NoE: 10+
Target: 1 person
Damage: 14 (AP, MR negates)
SecondaryEffect: Illusion-kill (whatever the effect of the Eye of the Void is)

Another option:

Summon Phantasmal Mammoth
SE (perhaps AE)
Range: 0
Fat: 80-
Effect: Battle-summon Phantasmal Mammoth

Phantasmal Mammoth
HP: 1
Prot: 0
Att/Def: 8
Mor: 15
MR: 13
Enc: 3
Size: 6
Graphic: Elephant
Ethereal, Trample

D/E

Blighted Troops
Range: 30+
Fat: 40-
AoE: 1+
Damage: 30+ (stun)
Secondaryeffect: Decay
Old February 11th, 2009, 07:36 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

The phantasmal mammoth would be funnier if you could do MR-resists trample.
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

Truman: True. However, I don't think you can do it unless you can type all of a unit's damage to MR resists.