.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old May 6th, 2008, 06:22 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Djinnibad - Nomads and Genies

Quote:
Aezeal said:
but is that sandworm overpowered for 35 gems???
I don't think it's overpowered for 35 gems.

The age setting seems too high, I've been under the impression the age of sandworms are ranges in thousands of years.
The current age ranges in the tens of thousands with a maximum of 100,000.

Also according to the wikipedia the sandworm is highly susceptible to water poisoning.
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:42 AM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

To Aezeal.
What you don't see is completely your own problem. That Jinn often turned invisible & changed their appearance is mentioned quite often. And this is what is said in the description of Glamour.
As for living in this world but being not of this world, it's unfortunately out of question.. Allah HAD made other worlds populated by angels according to some sources, but angels & Jinns are different beings - Shaitan sometimes appears to have common features with Jinn, but that's it. Jinn and especially "lesser" races of geniefolk are much closer to mortals than to angels - they may intermarry with humans and have children, including common with them, they die & aren't always especially long-lived, they are killed by normal weapons, etc...
I didn't met Jann in any sources I've seen except AD&D and there they aren't ethereal. As for being made of fire this is mentioned for Jinn in general, Perih & possibly angles (I'm not sure whether it's worth it to include Islamic angels which possibly wouldn't be different enough from those which Marignon, e.g., summons).
Sola I also didn't meet. Where did you find them? Name suggests something of probably Hellenistic/Neo-Platonist origins, though this is of course no reason to drop them entirely - if they are overpowered or aren't fit to the same patten as other genies, this will be reason enough.
What I would give to Efreets is larger combat form & smaller human-sized one, though I'm not currently clear about which advantages the latter should have. Both names are often used interchangably as I already mentioned, but it's possible to make 2 different subraces by making Efreets thugs & Marids mages..
I can use it as a good base. If you can't that's completely different problem - and not mine. Any folklore has some discontinuity as it's created by many people during large periods of time, but for the same reason it mostly conforms to the common pattern. (I won't get to deeply into this here unless there is an interest). As I mentioned above, these patterns are relatively clear - but they differ somewhat between Arabian & Persian folklore (the latter, e.g., rarely describes Jinns as such, though it mentions them). And 1001 as such was written in Late Middle Ages, and in Egypt to boot! It contains Persian and even Indian influences - so I would prefer to use its patterns preferably in LA (I now think about sorcerers)...
#bonus means just it - & is mostly used for mount attacks, etc. While qeapon equipping shouldn't be a problem if the monster in question has only misc slots - you just can't equip weapons in them - excluding those which give #bonus themselves!
As for overpowered - I have currently no time for experiments with it in its various versions. Did you make any?
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:44 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Sorry for taking such a long leave. The original reason for this didn't take more than a couple of days, but I just didn't feel motivated. I still don't, because camels are hard to draw, and because I'm still not sure if warriors are supposed to sit before, after or on the hump. Still, I got some progress. This preliminary camel rider has weird proportions and doesn't look like a sprite yet, but he's drawn quite a bit larger than necessary so I can work on those details once I shrink him down. The camel was edited from Waste Survival icon.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 606224-temp.jpg (2.5 KB, 47 views)
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

wow I love it .. really... if you insist it's not ready yet I won't use it yet though
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:51 PM

I insist that you don't use the jotun riding the tree-legged camel. If there was an ordinary Dominions cavalry unit next to it, the human's head would be at the same level with the camel's.
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Major

Good! Sorry, I still have no camel-rider illustration at hand to point where the rider actually sits. But probably will even if I have to purhase Osprey book & wait half-year while it gets to Moscow!
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Wrana said:
Good! Sorry, I still have no camel-rider illustration at hand to point where the rider actually sits. But probably will even if I have to purhase Osprey book & wait half-year while it gets to Moscow!
Google Image got me several pictures with people sitting in front of the hump, and one with the swordsman sitting behind it. I don't know if the latter is just a mistake or made by someone who has researched how warriors rode camels. At least it will look similar to horse-riders, so it should fit in to the Dominions sprites quite well.
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:07 PM

Major

What I do know is that in case of Bactrian camels riders are placed between humps - but these were mostly used as draft animals... actually, they are included as such in my MA - speaking of which do you have any opinion about where it's better to place Shiite priesthood and where a Sunni one?
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:49 PM

I don't know about that one, but you'll get excellent priest sprites shortly. Much better than the sprites I make, even. You'll have to use #copyspr and wait for after the weekend or so, but that shouldn't be a problem.
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:00 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Well it took over 3 hours to create another pair of images for one single unit. Thinking of the unit... I'll want to slightly change its attire for more difference appeal.

I hope things are moving faster for you guys doing the Djinnibad mod.