.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 16th, 2008, 08:46 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: bump - MA version 0.11

I've done first version of the dervish, and have looked around at sword-wielding cavalry. I'll probably model the pose after Tien Chi/Jomon cavalry leaders holding sword up. I'm not sure if I'll draw the sword myself or edit something like EA C'tis lizard chariots' huge falchion.

I still don't have any ideas about drawing Dervish cavalry with two swords. Would it be possible to give some less-used cavalry lances or light lances? Dervish cavalry with lance/sword/hoof would still work well as shock troops. I'd also like to give the mounted scouts a light lance.

I'm much more confident about the camel problem now that I realized I can model it after 'wasteland survival' symbol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 598050-twoswords_preview.jpg (5.0 KB, 63 views)
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:04 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

No, in MA human sorcerers should be the rule, with mariti & efreets as summons. AND Well, Rocs & genie will remain as summons in any case. But I don't see Rocs as recruited monsters in MA.. Machaka, you say? But it's different case with their African mythos while medieval Arab/Persian faction should be a civilized nation whose strength lies in normal troops, human mages, fanatical holy warriors AND ONLY AFTER THAT - unique summons.--> I would do that for late age

In MA I would jsut fade the most powerfull out and keep the weaker ones instead of the sorcs. Then In LA they all become summons

basicly I think all your MA nation should be LA..
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:07 AM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

No, LA nation should be based on Turkish Empire - you know, Janissaries, etc. Also, assassins will become non-sacreds. They will most probably get banners too.
As for sorcerers of MA & LA - I'm not sure for now, but I think that we should have SOME kind of strong (read: fireball-flinging) sorcerers in that faction. While at LA they should probably be weaker & with less flamboyant effects...
BTW, what do you see in MA faction except weaker clone of EA?
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Lieutenant General

MA more magic, less armour, less priest power

and thus more genies

LA no genies, more priests, more and better armed infantry and cavalry
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Major

MORE genies in MA??? I thought it was EA that's genie -based...
Also, Turkish-based LA should probably get less priests, but, yes, better armed & armored troops. Think regular troops instead of religiously-driven militia (highly-trained militia, though).
Another thing - from memoires of Ousama ibn Mounkidh I see that ismailites (hashishiin) mostly used daggers, though they used swords, too. Probably should get sword&(poison)dagger so.
And I will probably move Corsairs into late era.
Probably LA magic should also include Death/Blood?
Another question to all interested - medieval Persian army often included elephants and sometimes nafta throwers. Should they be used (and in what era)?
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:33 AM

Lieutenant General

I meant more than in LA

ENDO, I somehow missed your pics last time I looked, those dervish are GREAT!! YOu ahve a good feel for this nation
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:08 PM

Major

Well, that I thought obvious. And in any case I asked how you would define MA in relation to EA (and said that "the same in less concentration" wouldn't be cool).
On pics - yeah, fine. Except for left-handed scimitar in attack position which seems somewhat wrong for me. Could you do something with it, Camrade, please?
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Wrana said:
On pics - yeah, fine. Except for left-handed scimitar in attack position which seems somewhat wrong for me. Could you do something with it, Camrade, please?
I tried foreshortening it more, but it's hard with such tiny sprites. I think I'll change the legs' position in the attack sprite instead, so that the left knee points more back in the attack pose. Well, not straigth back, but more so than it currently does.
Old April 19th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Major

Possibly either make left arm less straight or somewhat change position? E.g., make it on "hanging guard" - along the body? Or make "trace" from previous movement - this would probably look stylish on 2-scimitar wielder?
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Wrana said:
Possibly either make left arm less straight or somewhat change position? E.g., make it on "hanging guard" - along the body? Or make "trace" from previous movement - this would probably look stylish on 2-scimitar wielder?
I don't expect to be able to make something totally different from all the other sprites "stylish". It'd stand out, and that wouldn't be good.

I tried few variations with the arm and the blade, including the direction of the blade. The result there is the best I got. I tried to make it seem that the left sword is past the actual swing, but I couldn't do proper foreshortening so it ended up looking less like what I wanted.