.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old May 1st, 2008, 04:52 PM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Djinnibad - Nomads and Genies

This is the meaning of the name iirc.
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:25 PM

Major

Next update, including some reworking of mages & reworked MA genies...
Attached Files
File Type: rar 603550-nomads2a.rar (9.0 KB, 61 views)
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:46 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

Jinn can definitely interact with the physical world, but all ethereal creatures can do that.

Point is, they are made of smokeless fire, yeah? Everything else that is made-of-fire, or wind for that matter, is ethereal.

Ethereal in this game doesn't mean you can walk through walls; air elementals are ethereal and obviously can't do that. It means that magic is required to harm you reliably, which I'm pretty sure is true of jinn.

But glamour/stealth is clearly more essential to their nature than etherealness, so if they're only going to have one or the other, jinn should have glamour.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:33 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Ethereal - combat monsters if they use any kind of armor, ESPECIALLY the commanders.

Stealthy (esp. with flying) - awesome tactical mobility and raiding capability.

Glamour (esp. with flying) - your opponent won't know where your forces are, or where your best mages are, unless you're already fighting. It also helps them a lot in combat.

Personally, I can see djinn having either stealth or glamour, but I'd be careful with any one djinn having both.
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:25 AM

Major

To DrPraetorius:
Quote:
Ethereal in this game doesn't mean you can walk through walls; air elementals are ethereal and obviously can't do that. It means that magic is required to harm you reliably, which I'm pretty sure is true of jinn.
As I've said, quite the opposite is true. For example, a short poem by a 6th century warrior-poet Taabbata Sharran describes a jinn personally killed by author with a sword (and without any magic mentioned). In 1001 Nights, which was written down much later, one jinn is killed by a date seed - while being invisible! Invisibility, or ability to turn into likeness of another, on the other hand, is mentioned quite often.
Quote:
Point is, they are made of smokeless fire, yeah? Everything else that is made-of-fire, or wind for that matter, is ethereal.
In the game, I can mention one of the Fire Kings, who is quite material... While in the Persian folklore at least (which I know better than Arabian one, though I will possibly get some materials on the latter soon) Perih are clearly made up from fire, but are clearly material to the point that they intermarry with humans. They are skinshifters, though.
To Endoperez:
Quote:
Personally, I can see djinn having either stealth or glamour, but I'd be careful with any one djinn having both.
Did you mean "ethereal or glamour"? For Glamour units are quite often stealthy... And if you meant etherealness, than yes, I personally much prefer them having glamour, while etherealness would be possibly present only for marids which are mages, not troops - & even this I'm not sure of. Aezeal, on the other hand, prefers etherealness for some reason not currently understood by myself - he mentioned something about not being similar to Vans... :shrug:
As I see it, Perih should have Awe, Daw - Fear and be physically strong, Jinn as such - Glamour, Efreeti - be really hot guys w/ Heat & Fear (though this name is often used interchangable with Jinn & Marid, but they now got a separate tradition of their own...), Ghul - Fear, while being undead (as I've said, I'm not sure about possibility of Ghul troops).
Where Jann & Sola came from, I currently don't know so I don't plan to include them in MA/LA. LA possibly should include Yajudj & Madjuj, though.. It's possible that Jann are the same creatures as Peryh, though. Could you remember something on this?
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:05 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Nope, I meant stealth OR glamour. If they had both, they'd be more similar to Vanir and would probably be annoyingly good raiders (thanks to glamour giving them +20 stealth minimum). Glamour alone seems enough to cover the illusions.
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:02 PM

Sergeant

Saulot is on a distinguished road

Devour as a magical attack?

Perhaps it shouldn't be, after all it's hard to eat something noncorporeal/ethereal like a ghost or a shade.
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:36 PM

Major

To Endoperez:
Well, Arabian-based faction SHOULD have good raiders.. And that they sometimes pulled really wicked tricks of that kind you surely had heard. What I can promise is that really hard-hitting types probably wouldn't have stealth - after all, it's quite difficult to miss an appearance of Efreet "tall as the sky", or Daw "tall as a tower". Though they wouldn't be SO large in a game, sorry.
BTW, there is some discontinuity in the sources - efreets/marids are often descibed as very large, but are still able to appear in small rooms & bed human women sometimes. This could mean either that extra-large size is glamour-based illusion, or that they have second shape which is used for combat purposes - which agrees fine with Perih & Daw having animal forms...
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

Glamour is illusions and I don't see them as that, I see them as magic beings living in our world but also not of this world. And to me that is ethereal.

Only the Jann is ethereal, made of smoke and fire (like fire elementals = ethereal

The Sola is a creature of magma (mix of ghost light and a king of elemental fire, but weakish) in my describtion and can fly/hover

The Marid and Efriti just fly since I didn't want to overpower them.
IF I would give them anything else I'd give Efriti etherealness too and Marid glamour (I see marids casting illusions etc)

anyway all that arabs ancient literature is just telling everything all ways so you can't really use it as a solid base.

Saulot: I thought that command didn't actually make it a MAGIC attack, it just makes it a special attack that wouldn't disappear when equipping weapons (natural attack) why I thought that I can't find atm.
(ah I found it that is #bonus)
The fire in it's insides are hot though don't thing an average ethereal being would enjoy being there.

but I guess # magic is out indeed
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:03 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

but is that sandworm overpowered for 35 gems???
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.