Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old May 20th, 2006, 11:42 PM

Captain

thatguy96 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vietnam Specific OOBs

Well Cambodia has a complicated history from Neutralist Prince Sihanouk to General Lon Nol to the Khmer Rouge to the North Vietnamese invasion. What this means is that you have interesting things like T-28s shooting down VNAF aircraft (only one instance) and later MiG-17s with their guns replaced with .50 caliber M2s because of a shortage of replacement parts and ammunitions for the aircrafts original cannons.

There are a number of instances that are similar to what happened in the immediate aftermath of the unification of Vietnam where the new Vietnamese airforce has a combination of US and Russian/Chinese types and operated all US types on a sort of ad hoc basis until spares and weapons ran out, then dropping the type. Note that under unified Vietnamese control during the invasion of Cambodia, large numbers of F-5s, A-37s, and UH-1s were used because they were available and capable. Its a complex history.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:37 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

An idea I'm playing around with:

Aircraft Revetments. Take a bunker and give it 10-20 cm of armor on the sides and rear, but no frontal or top armor.

Zero carry capacity.

Only useable in scenarios, really, because to accurately depict the importance of the aircraft inside, you have to edit the scenario yourself and re-cost the units.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:48 PM

Captain

That's a really cool idea. I'm not much of a scenario designer, but there are a number of units I've created that might well serve a purpose only in a constructed scenario.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:59 PM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road

Looks nice those aircraft revetments, but what about when the 'bunker' gets destroyed? Then the revetments would 'disappear'. So how many crew do you give it as crew losses will likely be the biggest problem in keeping the revetments intact when facing small arms and mortar fire?

Narwan
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:35 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

Looks nice those aircraft revetments, but what about when the 'bunker' gets destroyed? Then the revetments would 'disappear'.

Uh, Bunkers don't disappear, they get a burning plume of smoke or a mashed up wreckage icon.

So how many crew do you give it as crew losses will likely be the biggest problem in keeping the revetments intact when facing small arms and mortar fire?

Perhaps 3 (to represent crew chiefs and maintenance people caught in near their aircraft and hiding); the entire point is not to make the uber invunerable to small arms or mortar fire; if you emptied a M-16 into a F-16 or an 81mm mortar hit near an F-16, the plane is pretty much going to be inoperable without major work, barring an act of God in which all the bullets and mortar fragments miss important bits.
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:35 PM

Captain

Since I just added in special operations C-130s for tactical air drops (and a seperate formation for them and the previously included O-1 "transports"), I was curious if anyone would be interested in creating a Fulton STARS C-130 "helicopter" for scenarios or just to mess around with? I'm not much of a scenario person, but this wouldn't be too hard, but realism would be slightly lacking if the mission didn't involve just using it to extract a single unit and then escaping off the map. Basically I would take the existing C-130E(I) I created and turn it into a helicopter with 1 carry. The resulting unit would likely only be useful in scenarios. Just messing around with some ideas and trying to implement them, and thought I'd just put it out there.

Also, the next release does away with all the National Gaurd units and formations in the US Army OOB to free up space. This will be noted, but I'll just put it out there that if you're playing scenarios, battles, or campaigns using these units it'll likely screw them up.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:44 AM

Captain

Another update. The next release will feature psyops systems. A number of liberties have been taken with such systems. I found that I could create varying degrees of suppression with weapons with extreme accuracy but no other weapon stats above zero. Now I'm sure people will debate about the effect of such weapons on troops, I feel that tweaking the accuracy ratings might allow for the routing of troops of poor morale and otherwise suppressing units of higher morale. Of course units fitted with Psyops weapons will all feature X3 radio codes for human scenario inclusion or gameplay only, and I just thought this would be fun to mess around with.
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:05 PM

Captain

Here are the current readmes just to see whether people see things that need changing or intriuge them. Its supposed to be a teaser of sorts, but I can never gauge how many people actually download or use these.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 436207-Vietnam Specific 3 OOB Readme.doc (140.0 KB, 509 views)
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:07 PM

Captain

And the new Total Conversion Addendum. Previously, only the US Army Obat was changed dramatically from its previous incarnation. Now, the additional Obats planned for this addition allow even greater flexibility and space, at the cost of existing OOBs. Check the readme for further details and ask me questions if you're still confused.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 436208-Vietnam Total Conversion Addendum.doc (55.5 KB, 256 views)
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

Warhero is on a distinguished road

Hey when are you going to release next version? Those lists seem to be great IMO. Keep up good work.