World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old July 13th, 2010, 12:20 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Perimeter Defence Projects

A little something different. Phalanx is the one modern one I'm most familiar with from my naval background. It is the last line of defence against inbound missiles, but also a coordinated part of a host of other options. And the following represent that "coordinated" defensive effort. I hope you'll find the following interesting. The MANTIS is operational as of this year, and will be deployed to Afghanistan in the beginning of
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/mantis/

Pics:
Click image for larger version

Name:	MANTIS Sector Team..jpg
Views:	186
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	10264 Click image for larger version

Name:	MANTIS firing against incoming target..jpg
Views:	172
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	10265

Have to get ready for work!! Have a great day all!

Regards,
Pat
Old July 13th, 2010, 06:49 PM

Captain

thatguy96 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Perimeter Defence Projects

The had set up Phalanx systems on trailers in Afghanistan from what I can remember to try and shoot down mortar bombs and rockets. They didn't use them in Iraq because of the potential for rounds falling on populated areas if they missed the target.
Old July 19th, 2010, 11:58 AM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A little something different
Speaking of which...

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...123_68227.html
Old July 19th, 2010, 08:46 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

This could have the animal right activists up in arms unless it can tell the diffrence
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:38 PM

Captain

thatguy96 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
This could have the animal right activists up in arms unless it can tell the diffrence
I think one of the problems is that it has human rights activists up in arms because it can't necessarily tell the difference. As already noted, these sort of defenses aren't suitable for built-up areas simply because of the potential for UXO to be scattered all over the place.

Apparently it did make it to Iraq, but I would imagine that Camp Victory/Victory Base is not necessarily near anything else.
Old July 20th, 2010, 02:22 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy96 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
I think one of the problems is that it has human rights activists up in arms because it can't necessarily tell the difference. As already noted, these sort of defenses aren't suitable for built-up areas simply because of the potential for UXO to be scattered all over the place.

Apparently it did make it to Iraq, but I would imagine that Camp Victory/Victory Base is not necessarily near anything else.
The idea of robotics is probably too early to let have its finger on the trigger ATM - unless a DMZ type situation (but pity help some political refugee sneaking over - the robot guard on the other side will chop them down as willingly as the border guards behind! - it would be as if we had erected our own set of APERS mines on our side of the Berlin Wall!).

Automated target detection to cue an operator to a point of interest (and engage only if required on command or under human operation) - is likely a better plan all round.

The 'super sangar' idea as shown in this article is probably far more realistic
http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2010/0...rs-and-blimps/
- Static O/P towers with a modern RWS on top, and surrounded by an RPG cage. Marry that with the above robotic detection idea - no auto trigger though, and you probably have a winner?.

Plus the guy behind the armoured glass may well spot something the gizmo totally ignores (Think Arnie swathed in mud at the end of Predator 1)..

Andy
Old July 21st, 2010, 08:20 AM

Captain

Probably I should have linked to an other article: most sources make it clear that the system asks for permission to an human operator before actually opening fire, so no slaughter of deers/whatever. I guess the software filters out rabbits and such.

As far as defectors go, north korean defect to South Korea by crossing the chinese border and then going elsewhere; far fewer obstacles and the guards are fewer and less likely to do their job than on the DMZ.
Going straight throught the DMZ would be as bad (or worse) as going throught the inner german border, not something you would want to try if you can avoid it.

AFAIK the advantage of this system is that you can have several robots doing routine scanning 24/7, something that humans are not very good at (cold, boredom, lack of sleep etc) and pass anything out of the ordinary to a much smaller number of human operator to figure out what is to be done, something which robots are not very good at. It saves manpower and makes less likely someone can slip by.
Old July 21st, 2010, 11:10 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello View Post
Probably I should have linked to an other article: most sources make it clear that the system asks for permission to an human operator before actually opening fire, so no slaughter of deers/whatever. I guess the software filters out rabbits and such.

As far as defectors go, north korean defect to South Korea by crossing the chinese border and then going elsewhere; far fewer obstacles and the guards are fewer and less likely to do their job than on the DMZ.
Going straight throught the DMZ would be as bad (or worse) as going throught the inner german border, not something you would want to try if you can avoid it.

AFAIK the advantage of this system is that you can have several robots doing routine scanning 24/7, something that humans are not very good at (cold, boredom, lack of sleep etc) and pass anything out of the ordinary to a much smaller number of human operator to figure out what is to be done, something which robots are not very good at. It saves manpower and makes less likely someone can slip by.
Ok - no autonomous fire under robot control. So not a phalanx type CIWS thingy then. That seems to have been something the chattering classes missed in the press reports I read re this robot station. But then the press luvvies do tend to call any grey-painted war canoe a 'battleship'...

Cheers
Andy
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:38 PM

Captain

Quote:
Ok - no autonomous fire under robot control
No, the somewhat cheesy video here gives an idea of the mode of operation.
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:26 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Perimeter Defence Projects

Update on the German MANTIS System. It's alive and still on track for deployment to Afghanistan by mid year, though under new management.
http://www.defpro.com/news/details/20961/

Regards,
Pat