Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old September 15th, 2008, 02:25 PM

Sergeant

valo2000 is on a distinguished road
Default halftracks/trucks

ithink there is some pricing problem when you compare trucks and horsetransports with halftracks that are armored and have a mg.
imho the trucks should be much cheaper becausethey bog downeasy get destroyed easy offer noprtection to riders are all inall very dangerous to use. maybe they are not ven usedin the kind of battles steel panthers depicts instead they are only used forstrategic mobility. maybe it wouldbe advisabletomakethem dirtcheap.

i know if they are to cheaothey might be used as recon by death vehicles by gamey players but still itwould benice imho.
Old September 15th, 2008, 04:48 PM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: halftracks/trucks

Remember to compare like with like - many trucks have higher transport capacity than halftracks and thus cost more. US halftrack seems to cost twice what the roughly comparable truck costs.

Having a bit of armour and a machine-gun is fun, but against enemy armour or any kind of enemy long-ranged anti-tank capacity the halftracks are almost as vulnerable as the trucks. They are after all only intended to stop shrapnel and small arms fire.

Using cheap trucks as assault vehicles or in an otherwise reckless manner would surely not be historically accurate. They were valuable assets for transport of supplies and heavy weapons, and for strategic mobility.

Their usefulness on the game would also depend on the terrain and scenario - if there are vast distances to move, then mobility becomes more useful. And if there is some cover to move behind, then the lack or armour is less of a problem.

Griefbringer
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:50 PM

Captain

thatguy96 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo2000 View Post
ithink there is some pricing problem when you compare trucks and horsetransports with halftracks that are armored and have a mg.
imho the trucks should be much cheaper becausethey bog downeasy get destroyed easy offer noprtection to riders are all inall very dangerous to use. maybe they are not ven usedin the kind of battles steel panthers depicts instead they are only used forstrategic mobility. maybe it wouldbe advisabletomakethem dirtcheap.

i know if they are to cheaothey might be used as recon by death vehicles by gamey players but still itwould benice imho.
How cheap are you thinking? Trucks are already half price. Look at the difference between motorized infantry formations and armored infantry formations to see how quickly this piles up.
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:32 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

Trucks are very good to move reserves fast to the Schwerpunkt.
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:12 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: halftracks/trucks

I'd say that trucks are priced correctly in as far as the game goes. If there were an easy way to do it, (which there isn't) I'd go as far as pricing them differently for different nations and times. Trucks were not as available as we perceive them to be for various armies and time frames. The Western Allies and US had the most consistent supply.

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:32 PM

Corporal

BadCompany is on a distinguished road

I perfer halftracks for assault but trucks I use for transporting ammo.Yes,a MG on halftrack is nice but it doesn't seem to do anything to enemy squads.
Old September 18th, 2008, 07:16 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCompany View Post
I perfer halftracks for assault but trucks I use for transporting ammo.Yes,a MG on halftrack is nice but it doesn't seem to do anything to enemy squads.
A half-track/APC MG is extremely useful in support of your mech inf.

The vehicle MG out-ranges enemy infantry, so can strike at long range. But above all, it is on a bullet proof mounting when fitted to an APC which the enemy infantry simply cannot reply to absent any anti-tank weaponry. A vehicle MG on a truck or other soft skin cannot do this at close ranges, since it can be replied to by rifle etc fires.

The long range of the VMG is also useful for killing depleted sections that are in rout behind the line of engagement as well. Use the range of the MG to pick off stragglers, if there is no mmore important task to do.

So use them to hose a single targeted section per half-track with all (or most of, you may prefer to keep 2 shots reserved) of its 6 rounds per turn, before firing or moving the dismounts and you are ahead of the game. Do the MG support fire before moving the tracks as it is more accurate when halted, of course!. They are not "killers" - MGs are suppressive weapons - but you may cause a few casualties, which causes extra suppression, especially if a section or two of the enemy are caught moving, and/or doubled up in the same hex.

If you reduce an enemy section to retreat status or more then move onto another target and reduce it, rather than trying for an outright kill. Those enemy sections on retreat (or worse) now cannot reply to your dismounts. Let the dismounts deal with them by fire or melee as you see fit.

In a campaign, it is the APC job to protect the important part of the platoon - the rifle sections - so getting lots of kills and experience is not really necessary. They are just tin trucks, and an experienced APC is just a more expensive tin truck => more buy points for the enemy. So if the situation arises where an APC must die so an experienced rifle section lives - let it go. Any part-kills should be left for the riflemen to finish off (and gain experience on) if possible. Exception would be e.g a German fire-support half-track with the 75mm gun, or in WinSPMBT where an experienced BMP or similar is a useful element to have. It has useful weaponry that can make a significant contribution to the fight (ATGM, gun) which a BTR or FV432 tin-can does not have, so becomes worthwhile to have as an experienced core unit.

In fact - I hardly bother with any core APC in WW2, since they are contributing core points value to the enemy force size, especially in the attack or defence (times 3!) but are not that useful in the delay or defence situation. So I buy leg inf units in the main, and purchase support APC in the attack when needed. Conversely in WinSPMBT I find BMPs etc. useful in the core since the armaments do contribute nicely in the delay and defence. Core truck-mounted infantry are a no-no in either game - they are even less use in defence, while contributing buy points to the enemy.

If the VMG is an AAMG, then this gives your forward elements some "fig-leaf" air cover well ahead of your flak line which will tend to be to the rear when advancing or assaulting. "Zulu" APC (dismounted) are also useful as the enemy air may target them and so expend weapons on an unimportant unit. APC not in Zulu state (i.e. loaded) - are a value air target since they are carrying an important element (the riflemen), however. Don't bunch your loaded APC in adjacent hexes if enemy air is suspected especially since WW2 APC tend to be open topped.

In WW2, before the era of jets then a reasonable number of heavy AAMG half tracks up forward can be quite dangerous to strafing planes. Try to keep about half the APC pool stationary (move them in bounds) when enemy air is suspected.

If the VMG is a turreted MG then you lose out on the counter-air aspect, but gain in that enemy return fire (e.g. from rifle grenade users) can be discounted as suppression does not close the MG down, and also the turreted mg usually is more accurate than the pintle mount.

Once you have dismounted, then keep the APC out of the same hex as the dismounted section as any fire it draws will tend to close down the vehicle AAMG requiring use of rallies. Keep the APC support line a hex or 2 behind the dismounted rifle line. That also lets the riflemen deal with any inf-AT teams that get discovered outside a range (1 or 2 hexes in WW2) that they can bother the APCs.

Keep the APC away from any significant AT assets though!. If you are fighting an enemy who likes to use WW2 type APC, then an investment in light tanks can be handy as even lowly T-50s and PIIs or Daimler armoured cars can tear into these, should there be no tank support handy.

In the advance, then an investment in some trucks can be quite useful provided there is a covered approach to the intended area of operations, and you can get there by road or at least mainly open hexes. You can then use a few support trucks to shuttle your infantry up to the front as a taxi service. However when doing so don't ever expose loaded trucks to direct fires, and always dismount far enough back (let the grunts walk the final 500m to the contact line) to not be in too much shelling danger. 3-4 truck platoons can relay up 2 or 3 rifle companies over a few turns if there is a road net, which is a useful capacity in the attack, especially on larger maps - and relatively cheap.

Cheers
Andy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old September 18th, 2008, 08:08 PM

Corporal

BadCompany is on a distinguished road

Thx for your long but useful reply.
Old September 19th, 2008, 03:49 AM

Sergeant

valo2000 is on a distinguished road

i think there is no solution to this problem maybe only make ht and tanks accordingly more expensive. the trucks can not be cheapened because this would make transportation way to cheap.
if there are no tanks around the apc rules the battlefield and he can nicely draw away arty attention from the inf units he is supporting. i only buy trucks to be somewhat historically accurate because i think there were more trucks then ht in any army.
Old September 19th, 2008, 07:07 AM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo2000 View Post
i only buy trucks to be somewhat historically accurate because i think there were more trucks then ht in any army.
True, but they were often used in a different fashion. And not typically mixed up with each other.

Thus, if playing a game where you are commanding roughly a battalion sized force (as typically in SP), then you could feasibly field a force that is all mounted on halftracks. Mechanised infantry battalions tended to have all of their combat elements mounted on halftracks, to ensure everyone had sufficient cross-country mobility.

Where the truck reigned supreme was on the rear echelon troops, where it would used to shuttle around huge loads of men and material. These operations are not usually well displayed on a typical SP game (except for an odd ammo truck showing up as reinforcements), though they could form a basis for a specific scenario - say, partisans ambushing a truck-mounted supply column.

Griefbringer