.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 17th, 2007, 01:26 AM

Corporal

WonderLlama is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Comparing it to Civ 4..

Incursion is a roguelike that is heavily based on D&D. It's more about creating and powering up your character than most roguelikes. It has a very complete D&D character system, with over a hundred feats fully implemented, and I'd guess 20ish skills. Somehow the developer found a way to make almost every skill useful in a dungeon crawl too. It also has birth perks that make a very big difference to the character. One of my favorites is clairvoyance, which lets you peak around the nearby dungeon for free at any time. But there are lots, and many are very nice. The religion system is similar to many roguelikes, but I find that it is more fun in incursion because of the way the god granted abilities can complement the already complex characters. The god favor/conduct system is very cool, although last I played, it had a lot of tweaking and bugfixing left to do.

The dungeon is fairly typical roguelike. Probably the coolest unusual feature is all the detail that has gone into non-hostile creatures. You can attempt to trade with and recruit almost all of them. Which is especially nice when they pick something up that you want; you have the option of demanding it or buying from them instead of killing them. I don't think anyone will ever write an NPC system that eliminates annoyance completely, but this one is relatively good.

I'd say if you like complex character design and random dungeon crawls, you'll like this game.
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:46 AM

First Lieutenant

Cor2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ironhawk said:
What are Incursion and Victoria? I've never heard of either until now...
Victoria: An Empire Under the Sun is its full name.
It is a game of grand stratagy set in 1836-1920. You choose a nation (literally any nation in the world at that time) and make all thier econiomic, military and political decsions. You accumuate prestige, which is how you win teh game. Basically it its a huge world map with every nation in the world on it.
Link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victori..._Under_the_Sun

I think you can find it used on amazon for like $10. Totally worth it.

The downsides:
its real time (but you can pause)
weird popup system of notification
There are a fairly limited number of military units
Nasty "civilized" and "uncivilized" titles to nations(this is to reflect the laguage of the period, I hope)

Up sides:
Play any nation
real historical events
change history
47 separate resources
indepth political and economic systems
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:13 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
WonderLlama said:
Incursion is a roguelike that is heavily based on D&D. It's more about creating and powering up your character than most roguelikes. It has a very complete D&D character system, with over a hundred feats fully implemented, and I'd guess 20ish skills. Somehow the developer found a way to make almost every skill useful in a dungeon crawl too. It also has birth perks that make a very big difference to the character. One of my favorites is clairvoyance, which lets you peak around the nearby dungeon for free at any time. But there are lots, and many are very nice. The religion system is similar to many roguelikes, but I find that it is more fun in incursion because of the way the god granted abilities can complement the already complex characters. The god favor/conduct system is very cool, although last I played, it had a lot of tweaking and bugfixing left to do.

The dungeon is fairly typical roguelike. Probably the coolest unusual feature is all the detail that has gone into non-hostile creatures. You can attempt to trade with and recruit almost all of them. Which is especially nice when they pick something up that you want; you have the option of demanding it or buying from them instead of killing them. I don't think anyone will ever write an NPC system that eliminates annoyance completely, but this one is relatively good.

I'd say if you like complex character design and random dungeon crawls, you'll like this game.
Sounds interesting, but is this a PC game or board game?
I looked on the wikipedia, yet no pics/screenshots.
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:25 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Quote:
S.R. Krol said:
Quote:
NTJedi said:
Not sure about the Alpha Centuri sequel yet I do know Sid and crew have hired a developer who focuses purely on improving/creating the Artificial Intelligence. An important step for a great need within all PC games.
They're working on Civilization Revolution at the moment, the console version of Civ. He's thrown around doing a Civ V in the future in interviews, but I haven't seen AC mentioned so I wouldn't count on seeing another AC anytime soon, but we could always be surprised.
Alpha Centauri, IMHP the best of the Civ type games, was made by Brian Reynolds, who now runs Big Huge Games. I think there is a conflict between him and Sid, as to who actually owns the right to the game. That said, I don't know if we will ever see another Alpha Centauri game.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:26 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NTJedi said:
Sounds interesting, but is this a PC game or board game?
I looked on the wikipedia, yet no pics/screenshots.
PC game, but there are no graphics.
ADOM screenshot

Several Incursion screenshots
Old October 18th, 2007, 05:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lingchih said:
Alpha Centauri, IMHP the best of the Civ type games, was made by Brian Reynolds, who now runs Big Huge Games. I think there is a conflict between him and Sid, as to who actually owns the right to the game. That said, I don't know if we will ever see another Alpha Centauri game.
The next big project at Big Huge is a RPG, slated for release in 2009. Maybe then AC2 in 2011?

I'm not sure if a question of rights would figure into it. Both he and Sid co-wrote the game, and there are quite a few other notables who helped shape the design. Ultimately I wonder if it's a question of economics. Sure, people who love the game REALLY love it, but overall I have to wonder how many units it actually moved? I'm guessing that if it really did well we would have seen AC2 long before Civ III, or Rise of Nations...
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

For all those who love NetHack, Rogue, or any version thereof
http://www.thefump.com/lyrics.php?id=93
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:14 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

/me insists on hailing Master of Magic again!!
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 05:29 PM

Private

tombom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
S.R. Krol said:
The next big project at Big Huge is a RPG, slated for release in 2009. Maybe then AC2 in 2011?

I'm not sure if a question of rights would figure into it. Both he and Sid co-wrote the game, and there are quite a few other notables who helped shape the design. Ultimately I wonder if it's a question of economics. Sure, people who love the game REALLY love it, but overall I have to wonder how many units it actually moved? I'm guessing that if it really did well we would have seen AC2 long before Civ III, or Rise of Nations...
I think somebody contacted Firaxis about the rights when they were working on a Civ4 Alpha Centauri mod and they said EA owned them.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:53 PM

Sergeant

Fate is on a distinguished road

I don't know if we are still talking about Dom III, but here is how I "play" it:

I don't really have the self-discipline for multiplayer, so I only play hotseat MP (when I have a friend around).

Otherwise I check the forums now and again. People are always discussing something completely new. The only topics which are repeated are newbie problems (like how does the game work, how do I avoid insta-death, etc...) and are fun to read because everyone is nice and has some good, often new tips, or people asking if they should buy Dominions. If I see an interesting strategy/unit/NEW PATCH(should I say expansion?) I rush to my game and try it.

Sometimes I will think of a new nation/spell/item/unit/strategy I want to play with, so I go to my game to try that. And I haven't even found time for mods yet.

...I think Dom III is worth it.