.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old March 8th, 2004, 03:00 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The inteface of Dom2 is great

Quote:
Originally posted by Wauthan:
...Perhaps Dominions 3, if such a project ever take place that is, will finally knock Master of Magic of the Fantasy Wargame Throne?
WTF ? Dom2 already knocked MoM out of the throne !
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

Wauthan is on a distinguished road

I don't know yet PDF (somehow I knew you would be the first to make the inevitable comment).

Dominions 2 haven't been around long enough to be a contender for that the title. Perhaps one could call it a Pretender?

People are still feeling very strongly about MoM. And a sequel would surely draw quite a crowd.

But it's just my personal opinion of course. It's rather like discussing whom the best fantasy writer is.
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:32 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

I thought Dominions 1 was the game that knocked MoM from its throne...
But then, I played Dom before MoM and that does affect my view. Quite a few of my friends who are not that interested in a game as complex as Dominions find MoM a great game, though. Pity, because it doesn't have real multiplayer...

[ March 08, 2004, 13:33: Message edited by: Endoperez ]
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:45 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Wauthan:
I don't know yet PDF (somehow I knew you would be the first to make the inevitable comment).

Dominions 2 haven't been around long enough to be a contender for that the title. Perhaps one could call it a Pretender?

People are still feeling very strongly about MoM. And a sequel would surely draw quite a crowd.

But it's just my personal opinion of course. It's rather like discussing whom the best fantasy writer is.
Don't call me "fanboy" please !
Seriously, I'm an old MoM fan (still played it Last year ...) but now I'm sure Dom2 is superior in every aspect - except maybe learning curve !

Endoperez,
Dom1 was a very good game (after all 90% of Dom2 were already in) but IMHO was very handicapped by a poor interface, antiquated graphics and lack of info/management screens and features.
Old March 8th, 2004, 04:21 PM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by vanedor:
Well, actually, it's not that great. But it's after playing a game such as BattleCruiser3100 that you realize that the learning curve of Dom2 is far from being that bad.
Comparing *any* game to any Version of BC would make the other game look good. BC is one of the worst games ever made ...

If you want a better comparison, try Dom2 vs. Civ3. Dom2 still has a long way to go by that measure. OTOH, Civ3 had a *huge* development budget, and some of the best programmers and designers in the gaming industry, including Sid.

[ March 08, 2004, 15:41: Message edited by: Arryn ]
Old March 8th, 2004, 05:16 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PDF:

Endoperez,
Dom1 was a very good game (after all 90% of Dom2 were already in) but IMHO was very handicapped by a poor interface, antiquated graphics and lack of info/management screens and features.
In what way the graphics of Dom1 are more antiqued than those of MoM? I agree that MoM was easier to get into, but I found some really frustrating things from it too. The biggest one was that I could only be casting one spell at any time... Besides that, I don't recall that many "info/management screens and features". You won't get as detailed province information in Dom as you get from cities of MoM, but the province-city difference is one of the big ones between the two games. Do you mean some of the Advisors?
Old March 8th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road

Does any of this (which is probably true but since I never played those games have no clue about) actually imply that Dom2 has a great interface? I *love* DomII, but the interface is perhaps one of only two aspects about it which I find to be at least slightly suboptimal.
Old March 8th, 2004, 05:45 PM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by tinkthank:
Does any of this (which is probably true but since I never played those games have no clue about) actually imply that Dom2 has a great interface? I *love* DomII, but the interface is perhaps one of only two aspects about it which I find to be at least slightly suboptimal.
You get used to the Dom2 interface much like you get used to aching bones as you grow older. IOW, it's annoying, but life moves on.

Alas, I would not expect much improvement as the devs have stated that they detest working on UI and prefer to work on other aspects of the game. Which means that the one issue that is most-criticized in the otherwise glowing magazine reviews of Dom2 is the least likely thing to change, and will prevent Dom2 from ever getting that Last 1/2-star in magazines like CG & CGW.
Old March 8th, 2004, 05:48 PM

Sergeant

fahdiz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by tinkthank:
I wouldn't say it's "great", no, but it is functional - and with a few relatively minor tweaks (many of which have already been discussed in the various wish list threads) I think it would meet all of my expectations. I don't find the current setup all that tedious, even late-game...but I have a feeling I might be in the minority on that one.
Old March 8th, 2004, 05:56 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road

OK.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying it was awful or anything; but I believe the original poster used the phrase "great", which is a superlative in English unless I am mistaken. It can also mean "very large", but that would be a bizarre metaphore.