.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 9th, 2008, 07:24 AM

BANNED USER

ajoin007 is on a distinguished road
Default help concerning combat scripting

hello,

can some1 help me out a bit with combat scripting. I couldnt find a good guide in here.

How f.e. can i target the leader with horrormark spell.
What are the best commands to give my troops,...
Old February 9th, 2008, 08:26 AM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: help concerning combat scripting

You can't really target leaders like that - things would get messy if you could.

Hold and attack X is generally best for supported infantry - so if you have mages buffing your guys/blasting the enemy or even just some archers doing damage hold and attack will give you more time to do that.

Attack Closest is general. Your troops will just charge forward to fight. I tend to prefer hold and attack, but just attack has its uses - particularly if the enemy has a stronger ranged/magic force than you do.

Attack/Hold and Attack Rear/Archers are both a little more specific. The only units that can(in most cases) pull these commands off are fast units(like cavalry), flyers and of course - tramplers. These commands can be great, allowing you to get around the enemy front line and take out their more vunerable units such as archers and maybe even commanders.
But like everything else, they aren't perfect - the commands don't always work as planned and the units you send behind have a good chance of being taken out unless they are incredibly tough or you crush the enemy frontline very quickly - a good example of this would be Caelian Mammoths and some of their tougher flying infantry(the chaff guys would just be killed by routing troops) - very few enemy troops would be left alive.

Fire Closest is nice for archers, but unless your meat-shield has either high protection or a big shield(preferably both) then you have to be careful.
Fire Archers is good, as the name suggests, for taking out enemy archers. It works particularly well if you have a better range than them(eg: longbows v shortbows) and/or you're likely to win the melee battle without your archers taking out their infantry.

Yes, I haven't covered all the commands and nowhere near all possible scenarios. This games is too big for there to be 'best' commands to give your troops without knowing more about what is happening(your troops, enemy troops, avaliable magic ect).
Old February 9th, 2008, 10:47 AM

Corporal

Yrkoon is on a distinguished road

If you want to take out commanders, "Fire archers" is probably what you want since, as Shovah pointed out, commanders cannot be targeted specifically.

Commander are usually at the rear not far from the archers and a stray arrow might hit the commanders. If the commander is a mage, then he will die most of the time. If it's a non-mage, the wound might make it rout, and his men with him.
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:38 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Spells like Curse and Horror Mark usually target big, high-hp creatures first. If your enemy has fragile old human commanders, you're out of luck. If your enemy is bringing Niefel Jarls against you, the spells will probably target either them or the Niefel Giant units.