Thread: Wishlist Mod Brainstorm-wishlist
View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2012, 01:16 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod Brainstorm-wishlist

Foodstamp, tone it down. Posting flamebait is not going to serve anyone well.

I'm getting REALLY tired of all the sniping involved with people who identify themselves too strongly in either the Shrapnel Camp or the Dom3Mods Camp and then proceed to go all Highlander and yelling "There can only be one!" from that basis.

Like llamabeast so articulately put it earlier in the thread, there was a necessity for the Dom3Mods forum so it was formed, but its existence does not mean that there must be automatic hostility between the two communities.

The forum rules over there are not the same as the rules over here, so trying to measure them with the same yardstick in every respect is pointless. If one must compare, then it's better to compare based on threads that focus on similar content (i.e. comparing mod threads or map threads or whatnot).

It is also patently obvious that some people who have migrated to Dom3Mods and use it as their primary community are dissatisfied with some things here and some others prefer the community over here at Shrapnel. If you happen to disagree with someone's preference of community, it's best to abide by the following maxim:

"If they absolutely positively wish to be wrong, let them. That is their privilege."

AND leave it at that. Don't drag the Shrapnel vs. Dom3Mods up every single time the two communities are mentioned in a thread. Note that I personally DO NOT consider anyone's preference of either Shrapnel or Dom3Mods to be wrong.

Now, let's take a look at this thread:

The opening post comes across as naive and sort of like fishing for ideas for lack of one's own, which explains a lot of the responses that the first page garnered, including all the snark and sarcasm. Whether it was intended that way or not is immaterial, that is how it looks on a first reading.

The later posts then include a lot of things that stem from people talking past each other and making statements that contain too many unmentioned assumptions. These then lead to misunderstandings and somewhat flared tempers because somebody interpreted something differently than the poster intended. Possibly due to a very fine distinction that is not necessarily immediately apparent without further explanation.

And soon after that the flamebaiting starts, somewhat on both sides.

Just put a *bleeping* stop to it. I don't give a damn about who started what, the only certain thing is that if it doesn't stop, this thread will. And any future threads with similar sniping contests are also going to share the same fate.