.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:07 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default The List of Events in Dominions 3

The compilation of events in Dominions 3 is now complete. You may download the full list from here.

The list is in both Excel and Open Office format and is fairly barebones.

On the summary page the events are listed in short form: Event text, type, rarity (which also determines bad/good), requirements and effects.

On the raw page the events are listed in the more traditional Dom3 DB format and can be analyzed more thoroughly since it is possible to filter by individual attributes.

The terms should be fairly self-explanatory. Some terms are direct variable names. Some are modified variable names. Some are the way they are just because it was convenient shorthand to get things (more or less) organized.

Enjoy.
Old March 24th, 2010, 03:32 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The List of Events in Dominions 3

Very nice, thanks. Why are some entries colored in red? There are some other typos in the event texts, like "prefered", "scolar" and a couple of unit names that are written with a lowercase capital letter when it should be capitalized. As I see no mention of "questing knights attempting to steal the Chalice" in there and no attribute in the item data of the Chalice artifact itself, I believe that this event from Dom2 times has really been disabled and there won't be any assassination attempts like described.

P.S.: Event #182 doesn't seem to yield any money despite the description, bug?
Emergency comic relief
Old March 24th, 2010, 03:49 AM

The red entries are events that have bugs in them. For example, both the Gadite temple events. The forst one isn't so bad, since it requires a Gadite Swordsman to be present, but the second one does not and should therefore be era restricted to the late era because there are no Gadite rebels in early or middle era.

One of the red events gives 500 gold when it should give 1000, that sort of thing. I'm going to make a fixed version of those problem events and send it to Kristoffer later this week.

#182 (merchants in temple) works as it should. They're just using the temple as a place of business and not forwarding any money to the god, which leads to no profits and decreasing faith. It's a bad event for a reason.

I don't believe I ever saw the questing knights event even in Dom2, so it may even be mythical. It certainly isn't in the Dom3 source code.
Old March 24th, 2010, 07:15 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

That's an outstanding piece of work Edi. You certainly have many thanks from me for putting it together, and at such speed too.

Haven't analysed the list extensively yet, but can see several places immediately where your data differs from my tests. Since I can see a lot of events that you have indicated as having scale requirements such as Order, Luck, Magic etc. But certain I've had them trigger without those scales as they are on the list of events I have so far documented, but to date I have only extensively tested (and therefore documented) full neutral and full neutral + Misfortune2 scales.

So in theory I should never have seen the events that need Order, Luck, Magic etc. given the limited scales testing I've done so far. Also, several of the events that seem to require a specific season (from their text, and from your data) I have seen trigger at any time of year. Since the seasonal events were high on my list of the events I wanted to confirm as being season dependent or not. But found many events occurred outside the season they were (probably) meant to be limited to.

Something weird somewhere, since a lot of those events I have seen 100's of times. Once or twice could account for the odd scale setting slipping in somewhere due to an event or hidden site. But not the high number of times I've seen them in my tests.

I'll try and sort through my testing achieves for saved examples of some of the above (since I saved a lot of turns in which I seen events occur when they possibly shouldn't). Or just re-create them since they were so common. Only example I have to hand right now is regarding the Ancient Presence event. Since I've had it trigger several times without the growth scale requirement on your list (and indeed the growth scale requirement most people thought was needed for the event to trigger).

And thanks again for all your time and effort on this Edi. You're a star. The attached game file regarding the Ancient Presence event is on the Faerun map, which I'm fairly certain you have
Attached Files
File Type: zip Ancient_P_Without_Growth_Scales.zip (210.3 KB, 519 views)
Old March 24th, 2010, 07:38 AM

Did you check the glossary tab?

The explanations for zero and negative scale requirements are there and if a scale requirement is present at value zero (as opposed to not being present at all), the event can happen even if tehre are no scales at all. So for example req_scale death(0) means that if you ave 0, 1, 2 or 3 death, it can happen, but if you have growth 1 or higher, it can't.

There is also the pesky little thing that when the events happen, they happen according to the scales and other conditions in the province before hosting and at the beginning of the new turn their effects take place (such as increased misfortune from baleful star).

It sort of has to be that way, unless the turn resolution order places events after everything else. I could do a better analysis if I was home and could check the manual, but alas, I'm at work right now.

Many of the season and cold scale events seemed buggy to me at first, but they are not, and that's in teh code. That's because the dual season (e.g. summer/autumn events like harvests) have a requirement of "cannot happen in spring AND cannot happen in winter", so they can only happen during summer or autumn. Which is six months out of twelve.

That leads to the out of season happening if the trigger conditions are as per the previous turn. Event happens during the turn that is hosted and its effects manifest on the next turn. Therefore it still took place in the appropriate place.

The cold scale events like blizzards don't necessarily have season requirements because you can have cold regions where if you get a cold enough summer, you get snow.

Hope that helps.
Old March 24th, 2010, 07:58 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the extra explanation Edi. Could help explain some of the weirdness I can see at first glance. Haven't looked intensively at your list yet though as I said, so will get back to you if there are still some things I can't explain from my testing.

Your comment about "req_scale death(0)" covering Death0 Death1 Death2 Death3, should explain why the neutral scales were triggering so many events. Again I'll need to check each event and get back to you with any anomalies I find.

Although I know for sure I had the "Heavy snowfall has blocked trade routes" event in every single season. Since it was the first seasonal event I had that I confirmed could occur in spring, summer, fall, and winter. Again though, I'll check what I have in my test archives, but should have saves where that event occurs in every season.

Interesting to know that the events are checked on the scales from the previous turn. I suspected as much myself, but hoped it wouldn't be as it makes bug spotting that much harder by needing two turn files each time. Oh well, it is what it is I guess
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:21 AM

There are several heavy snowfall events and not all of them have seasonal requirements. Just like there are two different events with the same text but different requirements that can grant a gold mine. One needs luck, the other doesn't.

That list actually does need some thorough analysis to get the most out of it. Though I think it is safe to say that the best synergies are to be had from from a combination of Order2/Luck2/Magic2 scales, with perhaps Growth 1 thrown in to stave off numerous death events that result in poploss.
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:40 PM

Corporal

Mysterio is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the hard work, Edi.

I have a question regarding another file in that link, namely dom3_db_v323b.zip. Based on the Credits tab, I assume it's more recent than your version 3.20 linked to here, but I'd like confirmation.

Thanks!
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:12 AM

Yes, much more recent. The link in my sig is always to the latest version, which at the moment is v3.23b.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edi For This Useful Post:
Old March 26th, 2010, 02:24 AM

Private

eastsnow is on a distinguished road

One of your Zamzummim and an Adon have organized a great banquet for Ditan, greatest of the deified Rephaite Lords. By sacrificing himself at the feast, the Zamzummite has traded life for life and passed into Sheol, allowing Ditan and his assembly to manifest in the world of the living.

I have just done a test of this event.After a long time waiting about 80 turns,it finally happened,I mean I have seen the message,but nothing happened in that province.

Maybe a bug?