.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old June 10th, 2008, 01:56 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Better Independents v2.1

I recall making some threats about restoring an improved version of the Better Independents mod, so I figured right now would be a good time to do it.

The Better Independents mod aims to improve the SP experience against the AI by reducing the hordes of chaff the AI tends to amass, forcing it instead to rely far more on national troops and some of the better quality independent units. This goal is achieved by artificially limiting the selection of units available and eliminating the undesirable ones as an option so they cannot be recruited.

There three variations of this mod:
  • The first one eliminates units by increasing their gold cost to 9000 and resource cost to 800.
  • The second variant only increases the gold cost of affected units.
  • The third variant only increases the resource cost to 800. This mod has reportedly had problems with the AI not being deterred by the resource cost and ending up with queues of units that take forever to clear unless canceled.

The mod file itself has a section of comments in the beginning, so it is advised that you read those to see if the mod is what you are looking for.

This second version of the BI Mod is a tad less drastic than the earlier one, which eliminated virtually all independent units. After reading several forum discussions and playing some games with the mod (BI Gold), it became clear that not quite such draconian measures are called for. The original mod limited EA nations the most because nearly all archers were disabled. Archers being important to also augment heavier troops, this has been changed.

All archer units are once more enabled in Better Independents v2, as well as some marginally useful units from other poptypes (such as the tribals). This means that there will be AI hordes where independent units still play a role, but it is much reduced. Archer hordes will be very prominent, though, but this is not a bad thing, because it helps the AI more than hinders it. It also makes EA games more tolerable, because otherwise there would be no independent missile units available.

Ryo Akashi was kind enough to provide me with mod code that copies these units to other slots and resets the recruitment of affected nations so the indies can be disabled. I have used a modified version which disables the independent slinger (50) and the light cavalry. Militia 30 is only disabled via increased resource cost because it can appear from events, so a gold cost disabling would bankrupt anyone who got the regular militia event.

This bit of code uses the currently unused unit numbers 1454 (Unused Ancient One), 385 (Lady of Fortune) and 601 (Daughter of the Land).

The old thread is here

Any feedback and observations of the pros and cons of this mod are welcome.

UPDATE!

Version 2.1 enables the standard independent commanders and also enables Jaguar Tribe Warrior, which turned out to be an even more useful unit than the Jaguar Tribe Slinger, though that usefulness depends on the nation you play and is often situational.

This means that if you can recruit units out of a province, you can also recruit a commander out of that same province. Barbarians and Horse Tribe are the only poptypes where nothing can be recruited (though some indies with a bad combination of militia, light infantry and heavy infantry (the weakest type) only allow commanders.

Version 2.1 is also compatible with Worthy Heroes. Version 2.0 was not because they both used the Golden Naga for different purposes, but that conflict has been resolved.

Version 2.1 attachment is included and replaces the v2.0 attachment previously attached to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip better_independents_v2-1_updated.zip (11.7 KB, 2436 views)

Last edited by Edi; September 16th, 2008 at 01:19 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Edi For This Useful Post:
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod: Better Independents v2.0

Thanks for this Edi, I will try to do some testing.
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:34 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I've used BI extensively and found that it really helps the AI. I'll give this one a shot.

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Sergeant

hunt11 is on a distinguished road

thanks for updating the mod, the only problem i see is that in a few provinces some of the units have their original cost
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:58 PM

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

So... how good results do you get from this? Does it help AI in the early game, or does the benefit continue to middle game?
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:08 PM

Corporal

QXel is on a distinguished road

Thanks Edi.

A quick download, and I will try it at once!

I'm back home, I have diner, and it is evening gaming time ...

Let's try it.

The One Who Only Play Single Player Games For Fun, Who Is Not A Maniac of 'The Ultimate Tactic', The Negation of 'The Ugly But Very Efficient Micro-Management For Winning With Minimum Losses And Ascend All The Time'
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:41 PM

I am officially a bonehead. I've reuploaded the attachment. The mod has banner pics, but I'd moved them to a subfolder, then forgot to include it in the zip file. That's been corrected now. Sorry about the hassle.
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:31 PM

Corporal

Alderanas is on a distinguished road

the only problem i ever had was when i played as lanka the little tiny monkies destroyed my economy when they joined my army bankrupting my nation in one turn.
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM

Corporal

Alderanas is on a distinguished road

im not sure if what i just said is for this mod or the no independant mod
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Alderanas said:
the only problem i ever had was when i played as lanka the little tiny monkies destroyed my economy when they joined my army bankrupting my nation in one turn.
Monkeys are no longer modded in this version for precisely that reason.