View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:28 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: design just ONE province

Quote:
Jack_Trowell said:
Ok, I added your province. ( see http://dominions.realites.org/?actio...cial_provinces )

This is what it will look like in the map file :

-------------------------------------------------------
-- Required terrain type(s) :
-- mountain (16)
-------------------------------------------------------
#setland XXX-- province by Sandman
#landname "Duncorum"
#poptype 47
#commander 21
#bodyguards 5 21
#units 10 21
#units 20 40
#units 25 49
#additem "Black Steel Plate"
#feature "Mine of Superior Iron"

Note that I added the poptype 47 (heavy cavalries and crossbowmen), so they will be recruitable once you take the province. Moreover, the #setland command (instead of #land) means that the natural poptype units will still be there : the heavy cavalry commander and his units will be *added* to the province defences. But if you think that's too many units I can remove the original units, or put less additional ones.
Slight correction here: You have assigned indie poptype 47, but the autogenerated defenders could be ANY poptype that can appear in that terrain. The reason for that is that when Dom3 generates the actual game, it will first randomly assign all provinces some poptype and defenders according to that poptype and will also place all magic sites.

Only after that will it start parsing the map file and will add everything specified there (and also kill any indies in provinces governed by #land and remove sites from provinces with #killfeatures). This means that the defenders for that province could be e.g. Onyx Amazons and Nightmares augmented by the scripted heavy cavalry units, but when you finally do manage to defeat the indies, you will only get to recruit optype 47 instead of the amazons you expected to be there (because they appeared as provincial defenders).

I wish the map file parsing happened before random assignment since it would give far greater control over map files, but unfortunately it doesn't.

Edi