Old April 17th, 2012, 03:04 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTJedi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Some minor things were implemented, and some good ideas were set aside. It doesnt take much looking back to see a distinct difference in the way they were presented here.
Good ideas were set aside because they didn't like the presentation? That's like spending more money on a lower value/quality home because the sellers were more friendly than the unfriendly sellers providing the better home deal.
I work with customers using computer hardware and software all the time in my career and some of them are extremely rude, evil and sometimes what seems like insane... however if they have a "good idea" then the good idea moves forward because it's what best for the software, even if it's from a small cruel customer.
Ask yourself... would a wise king pass the opportunity to strengthen his military simply because he doesn't like the personality of the merchant who can magically enchant their training equipment?
There is more than one way to skin a cat, NTJedi, and not dealing with rude, obnoxious people is one of them.

I also work in customer service, doing tech support and have been doing so for years. We do have a clear policy: If the customer gets shirty and starts being abusive, they get told once that they can either calm down so their issue can be resolved in good order or they can call again after they have calmed down. If they continue hurling abuse, it's "Thanks for calling, have nice day!" *click* and they can bloody well do the troubleshooting dance from the beginning again and again and again and again until they can behave in a civilized manner. I don't give a damn about whether they have a good idea or not, as soon as I start hearing "F-U you [censored] [redacted] [bleep]!" that's it and it's no different for anyone else at my workplace.

You'd be surprised how well it works, because most customers are quite okay and we do want to help them, but there are limits and if the customers know you won't shy from enforcing them, it will be better all around for everyone. There is no sense in rewarding obnoxious behavior in cases like that.

If Illwinter does not want to deal with constant hostility, that is their prerogative. Like it or not, presentation matters and it really does not take a whole lot more effort to formulate suggestions and criticisms in a neutral or positive manner instead of spewing vitriol.