.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old January 26th, 2005, 04:15 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Yet More Mod Questions

Hm, thanks very much!
I really dont want to mod too many units that can pop up in a game, and certainly none of the units which belong to other playable nations. Therefore I may und up sticking with modding TC, as odd as that will be.
(I had wanted to do a nation of nomadic horse-worshipping plain-dwellers loosely based on the Dakota Oglala religion and culture as told by Black Elk; I wanted to give them a Fort Defense Bonus of -.5 or more, since they should be bad at defending castles, and one of their mage-priests as well as their scout should be able to summon eagles (black hawks are fine); I also wanted them to have a "tracking" ability, but that is out of the question; I also wanted to give their holy warriors mistform, but that is a no-go; for flavor, I think I will end up making their four elemental mage-priests shapeshifters (eagle, bear, serpent, horse). Almost all units of the nation are stealthy (0 to +5), almost all are mounted, almost all use shortbows, almost all have high morale, and almost all have exceptionally poor armor -- so without some sort of extra flavor and very good mages, I think they will end up being a fairly boring nation which no-one will want to play except stealth-lovers, bless-n-priest-lovers and tree-huggers.)
Old January 26th, 2005, 05:46 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Maybe you should go for Pangaea. The sites aren't very fitting, but there are few very good reasons:

Pangaea is currently a stealth nation, and has good, fast, "mounted" sacred units.
Pangaean Heroine Harpy Queen auto-summons Harpies.
Pangaea has multiple special summon spells in its "Carrion Woods" theme. That theme also has lots of units no other nation can get, although I don't think Manikin/Mandragora constuction spells can net you them.

By changing Harpies yo your Eagles you can easily get what you want. If you want to keep heroes, you can replace Pan and Maenads, and make Harpy Queen summon slightly better harpies or something entirely else. If you don't care about heroes, you can make Pan the scout (would only work in turmoil though), Harpy Queen the mage-priest that summons eagles, and Maenads and Harpies to the Eagles that would be summoned.
You can either have Eagles replace Harpies in the recruit, or #clearrec and not add eagle/harpies.

You can use Valley of the Horse Brothers as one of their starting sites, and replace Horse Brother commander with one of their commanders. They could turn out elsewhere, but that site fits your nation and Glowing Hill (Van in Dom:PPP, Daoine Sidhe in DomII?) already does this for other nation's special unit.

Also, please check this post if you already haven't. It is Duncanish's idea about Indian nation: "I've been tinkering with a nation based roughly along the lines of various Native American nations. But, the fantasy twist, it's a nation of shapeshifters. Fans of the White Wolf book line, Werewolf: The Apocolypse will recognize all of these things, as it's drawn from their line. "
Old January 26th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Hey, thanks for all of the help.
I did check Duncanish's post -- I think we may want differing things.
I am making little or no progress. I DLed Gandalfs handy spr1s, but when I open them, save them as .tgas and use them as references in my mod, activate the mod, and load up my nation to test, the game crashes with a NGF: bad tga. I may be creative enough but just too stupid for this....
Old January 26th, 2005, 08:37 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Linux version is case sensitive. Make sure your tga's have the name you give them in the .dm file. I try to avoid capitals as a rule of thumb. Mods made in windows doesn't suffer from this problem so several mods we have recieved had to be modified to be playable (by me that is).
Old January 27th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thanks very much, but I am doing this in windows, and that doesnt seem to be the problem. Since I dont understand why this isnt working, I am just using Potatomans Ashikaga graphics to test my mod.

I obviously dont understand a lot -- but what seems particularly odd is that one of my new monsters, #2100, can be recruited, but it shows up as Chuddur Kadul, obviously somehow tied in with Atlantis/Ryleh. I dont understand why, so I changed the number to 2102 -- and it is still Chuddur Kadul, only that the graphics now takes some Marignon-looking fellow instead of the Ashikaga one it is supposed to refer to. No other mods are active.

Does everyone else run into tons of little problems when doing this or is it me and my stupidity and computer-unfriendliness?
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:49 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Argh, can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I am making the national summons, and already modded the Carrion Centaur 714 unit appropriately (works fine when I make him recruitable, which I did just to test, because I cannot summon him), but I cant get anyone to cast the darn spell. It will not show up in the list of spells that people can cast.

#selectspell "Carrion Centaur"
#school -2
#path 0 1
#path 1 0
#pathlevel 0 1
#pathlevel 1 1
#fatiguecost 300
#end

Thanks much in advance.
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:53 AM

Could you post that bit of a code? That seems strange...

And modding/scripting is closely related to programming, and only programming shows the computers' supidity better. They do what you tell them, and only that, probably with wrong result in the first version. Most problems can be solved easily (after you find the problem), and the rest can usually be solved for you.
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Did you test it with Pan cw theme to summon the spell ?
Afaik this spell is carrion woods theme only so it could be possible that these few spells can't be modded correctly .

You can also as a 2nd test leave out the #school -2 line because the spell works this way already default .

If this doesn't work better wait for an answer by Johan or Kristoffer
Old January 27th, 2005, 01:10 PM

Corporal

tka is on a distinguished road

This should work just fine. Carrion Centaur now needs 1N1D caster and 3 nature gems. The spell is also specific for Pangaea now.

#selectspell "Carrion Centaur"
#school -2
#researchlevel 10
#path 0 6
#path 1 5
#pathlevel 0 1
#pathlevel 1 1
#fatiguecost 300
#end

If #school is set to -2 you must specify the nation with #researchlevel X -command where X defines the nation.
Old January 27th, 2005, 01:13 PM

With '#school -2' you have chosen the spell to be national. You still have to choose the nation!

"9.4 #researchlevel
Level of research required should be a number
Exception: If the of the nation that has spell."

Add line '#researhlevel 10', and it should work.

edit: Heh, 3 minutes late...