.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 22nd, 2007, 09:41 PM

Sergeant

UninspiredName is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Modder\'s Wishlist

There's Shuten-doji for cast-a-turn and a few that self-destruct upon death, but I see your point. Okay, magic items it is.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

I wish for the ability to classify units as a certain type using a mod command, and having a second command that you can assign to a unit that gives units of the type a bonus in combat.

An example of what I am talking about would be as follows:

Give a unit
#unittype "Elf"

Then give a commander

#unitcom "Elf"

The outcome would be that when the commander is within a certain radius of units of type "Elf" on the battlefield, those units would receive a small boost to morale, attack, defense, and maybe precision.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:46 PM

Captain

Amos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I wish for the ability to classify units as a certain type using a mod command, and having a second command that you can assign to a unit that gives units of the type a bonus in combat.
An example of what I am talking about would be as follows:

Give a unit
#unittype "Elf"

Then give a commander

#unitcom "Elf"

The outcome would be that when the commander is within a certain radius of units of type "Elf" on the battlefield, those units would receive a small boost to morale, attack, defense, and maybe precision.
I have been asking for generalization of that idea since Dom2. Permanent fields (like disease cloud thats already in the game) for spells, for leadership, for damage etc.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:27 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I'd really like to be able to mod darkvision as a value. I'd also like to be able to mod different forms in and out of water using unit numbers - just as the mermen, wet ones, capricorns etc have.

You could extend this to not just water but other terrain types - for example a unit which changed to a stronger form in a forest or a unit that gained flying when in a mountainous province (think gliders of some kind).
Old April 29th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

From the progress page...

29th april
* fixed mod command #secondaryeffectalways.

This will allow you to properly use that command rather than being forced to trim it to #secondaryeffect

However it does not appear as if it will be in the next patch.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

30th april
* #clearmagic did not work properly on monsters with more than one magic skill, fixed.

This will save modders from having to use one #clearmagic for each magic zone that a unit has.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:11 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I'd like a morale setting of 100 (unless that doesn't already have a purpose). The purpose of the setting would be to have a unit become berserk in battle, but the berserk never wears off, and the unit doesn't grow fatigued.

In other words, the unit can fight independently, but doesn't leave battle, ever, and fights until it's dead.

This would be good for modding certain magical, mechanical, and demonic units that just never, ever stop once they go berserk.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:12 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
I'd like a morale setting of 100 (unless that doesn't already have a purpose). The purpose of the setting would be to have a unit become berserk in battle, but the berserk never wears off, and the unit doesn't grow fatigued.

In other words, the unit can fight independently, but doesn't leave battle, ever, and fights until it's dead.

This would be good for modding certain magical, mechanical, and demonic units that just never, ever stop once they go berserk.
What if two of them were thrown at each other? And what if, say, both had lost both of their arms (Picus & Procas' axes, and some Enslavement going on)? Two monsters endlessly trying to kill each other with Useless Kick. It would take days before the battle would be finished!

In other words, berserkers won't rout except if the battle has already taken too long. Then the attacker's side, ALL of it, routs. In case there are immobile units in there, the defender's side routs too (after 10, 20, 30 turns? something like that). And if the battle is STILL going, perhaps due to a paralyzed, limping, feeble-minded Sphinx or something, it kills everyone left.

I don't know the details of this in Dom3, but in DomII we got some complaints about the battle limit being reached too soon. I think it got increased because I don't remember anyone complaining about that, and the armies are much bigger this time around.

EDIT: Also, a combination of berserk and reinvigoration would go a long way.
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:37 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Eventually, Endoperez, you run out of maximum combat turns. I think it's like 50-60 turns, modified by the amount of units, before the attacking side automatically routs.
Old May 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road
Default Reserved Enchantment Slots

It'd be nice to have our own versions of several of the enchantments, and I think it might be possible without an entire engine rewrite. If this is infeasable, consider it a request for Dom 4.

When I talk about "enchantment #" I'm refering to the pool of province/world conditions that go in the damage field for effects 81, 10081, 10082, 10084, 10085 and 10086.

It'd be nice if these enchantment #s were cross portable - so if I combine the enchantment # for wrath of God with a single-province effect, I should get wrath of God restricted to that province. Sometimes this works, sometimes not, I might be messing up the #spec fields.

When I talk about "spell #s" I mean the actual numbers for individual spells (analagous to armor #s and so forth)

Enchantment #s 500-549 could be reserved for spells that mimic Fire Storm. Each of these enchantment #s "points to" a spell # - it hits half the units on the battlefield with that spell, every turn of combat (or all of them, or whatever is easiest using recycled code from Fire Storm, Heat from Hell, etc.)

Enchantment #s 550-599 mimic Mists of Deception (Shark Attack, Wrathful Skies?) and just drops whatever spell it maps to some number of times per round, at random on the battlefield or however it is these things work.

Enchantment #s 600-649 could be reserved for spells that mimic Wrath of God. Again, each enchantment # "points to" a spell # - it hits units with that spell each strategic turn in the same dominion-dependent fashion as Wrath of God. Targeting specifics on the spells control what they hit (so you could have beneficial spells hit your own stuff.)

Enchantment #s 650-699 do the same thing but with spells that themselves target provinces (remote summons, sent events, presumably.) Again the #spec field in the spell that the enchantment references controls whether or not friendly/unfriendly provinces are hit.

Enchantment #s 700-750 work like Carrion Woods / Soul Gate, but they'd point to pre-specified ranges of reserved unit #s (seems to be 10 basic units plus 1 commander for soul gate, so units 3000-3550 could be reserved for this purpose.)

If you wanted you could provide some frequency gradient within the enchantment #s - so #s 620-629 go off just as often as WoG, 610-619 less often than that, etc.

I can't think of an easy way to make our own variants of the more exotic stuff.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe