.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road
Default Crystal/Slave Matrix. Are they worth it?

I'd really like to make these, but are they really worth their price in gems? To get a benefit from them, I have to make at least 3, a cost of 30 gems. And then they only benefit in battle and when used correctly. I could craft 3 path boosters to hand out that are useful in both battle and rituals, and can be given to three geographically seperate commanders. It is simpler to get the benefit from them, and a bit more robust.

So are crystal/slave matrices worth the cost?
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:54 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crystal/Slave Matrix. Are they worth it?

Master Matrixes surely are. They can be used to make a non-astral, non-blood mage lead a communion. Slave matrices are more expensive, but I could see using two if I have only very limited access to Astral mages otherwise, or would quickly lose them to Magic Duel or something. I wouldn't make too many of them, though, perhaps just enough to boost some mage 1 level for some important spell, so 2 slave matrices.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:21 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

that's what I was thinking. One master two slave. I could keep them at home and simply move them to fortresses as needed and turn those sub-par non-capital mages (who have no astral) into a battlefeild force to be reckoned with.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM

First Lieutenant

Corwin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Endoperez said:
Master Matrixes surely are. They can be used to make a non-astral, non-blood mage lead a communion. Slave matrices are more expensive, but I could see using two if I have only very limited access to Astral mages otherwise, or would quickly lose them to Magic Duel or something. I wouldn't make too many of them, though, perhaps just enough to boost some mage 1 level for some important spell, so 2 slave matrices.
I disagree. Slave matrix can be very useful for the "reverse communion", especialy in the mid-late game. Imagine a few Powerfull SC chasis each wearing a slave matrix(among their regular battle gear), with 10-12 buffs from all schools of magic casted on them by few Communion master over the first few turns of battle. Then masters retreat, and SC "slaves" attack, easily tearing through everything that desperate opponent tries to throw at them.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:33 PM

Captain

Twan is on a distinguished road

Master matrix are cool even for mages able to cast communions because you want your most powerful spells, and protecting buffs to be cast since round one, especially if the ennemy risk to cast some mass destruction battlefield spells, or a protective BE against your magic (casting master enslave before the ennemy has cast antimagic is always better).

Slave matrix can help to have a sufficient number of slaves counting in round one (mages using the spell communion slave must be before the master if he use a matrix, or they don't count for him in first round).
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:26 PM

Corporal

Forrest is on a distinguished road

You are not factoring in dwarven hammers. It is only six gems each with them. If you get a lucky site find then you are looking at 4 each.

The other thing is the X factor. I am playing Atlantis with the better indie mod and have not found any usable archers. SC's look like a good way out of my corner. Besides how cool would a few buffed Kraken or Monster Fish look in a "it came from the sea" attack. The whole thing is alot of trouble so I might as well have fun.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:06 PM

Corporal

Aristander is on a distinguished road

From what I have seen Corwin is right about the reverse communion. However, for the slave matrix to work your slave must have at least one magic ability. So it will not work on Sleepers but will work on Vampire Counts for example.