.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

View Poll Results: Is production a weak and undesirable scale?
It's is very weak and undesirable. 11 15.28%
It's somewhat underpowered compared to other scales. 44 61.11%
It's fine the way it is. 16 22.22%
It's somewhat overpowered compared to other scales. 1 1.39%
It's is extremely overpowered compared to other scales. 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quick Poll: Is the production scale weak?

Other benefits high productivity could have -
a) Reduce castle build times.
b) Reduce build *costs*, for castles, labs, temples or all of the above.
c) Reduce province defense costs, or provide free periodic province defense.
d) Provide a reduction in maintanence costs for units (not commanders.)

I'd be 100% in favor of more rewards for productivity, but I don't think Sloth needs to be made any worse. There are certain positions for which Sloth is a no-brainer, but I don't think it's needed (for inter-nation game balance) to *punish* those positions.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:32 AM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

I never take more than construction 1 and that is for the most resource intensive race. Usually I am a sloth -3 guy.

The one intangible is that having those resources will become obsolete pretty early in the game but can provide an early edge that builds on itself. It may also be useful when you have death - helps keep your ability to recruit (in particular elite capital units) up while population, and thus resources dwindle.

Those are all the pros I can think of. The fact is production is the first thing that gets cut in the DC budget.

I like Dr. P's suggestions to improve it.
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:52 PM

Major

Micah is on a distinguished road

Why don't we just change the gold coefficient on the scale, like I suggested before? Sure, it's not nearly as fun or cool or whatever as DrP's suggestions for it, but it's easy to implement and would help make the scale less sucktastic. 3.5% or so as opposed to 2% would make a hefty dent in its comparison to other scales IMO.
Old May 10th, 2008, 03:37 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Luck/Production is a pretty good combination, though. The castle events might need order, but traders' guilds and mine events are pretty common, and both produce permanent increase of income.

Tien Chi already has Order-based Conscription ability that slowly increases PD. It might or might not be easy to implement similar, Production-based ability for all nations.
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Sergeant

Wick is on a distinguished road

The problem with resources is that mages are recruited with gold at castle labs built with gold. I think building castles with resources instead of gold might be a good thing. Stone is even more local then weapons after all.
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:11 PM

First Lieutenant

Tyrant is on a distinguished road

In most cases, even with resource intensive nations, the answer is to build more castles and/or build one an iron mine. So as is, it's really only usefull if you have cap-only resource heavy units and/or for the rare heavy metal quick start plan. Micah's suggestion seems like the easiest fix, though the castle suggestions would be more fun.

I've strained my brain trying to think of a another thematic additional effect, and auto-PD build is the only thing i came up with. TC has that as a dominion benny, so there's some code for that already, but i dont' have any idea if would be easy to implement.
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:02 PM

Corporal

Chris_Byler is on a distinguished road

One other possibility is just to play with a lower resource multiplier. Sloth hurts worse and productivity is less likely to be excess, for everyone. (Except nations that *really* never need resources, like Yomi or LA Ermor. But it's thematic for them to have sloth anyway.)

I think the most fundamental problem is the obsolescence of troops, and therefore resources, in the later game, while gold is good for everything, all the time, at all stages of the game. Tougher research combined with lower base resource production and a high indy strength (high enough to endanger awake SC-pretenders that try to solo provinces unequipped, and to force almost everyone to have some losses that need regular reinforcement) could make sloth's slower starts really dangerous. The resulting game would have the emphasis shifted away from late-game SC and spell combo strats toward early expansion and getting the most out of troops and low-level spells, though, which some players might not like.

Or, of course, you could just make troops cheaper or mages more expensive in gold; the fact that IW didn't do that along with changing the base resource/supply amounts is largely (IMO) responsible for the fact that troops vs. mages decisions haven't shifted as much since Dom I/II as you might otherwise expect. You *can* make many more troops now, but it's still not necessarily a good idea compared to using Dom 3's more abundant gold to simply make even more mages.
Old May 12th, 2008, 01:01 PM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road

Resources sort of *are* gold.

If you boil all issues down to survivability and killability, a 10GP/20Res unit is far better than a 10GP/1Res unit. So you could view a Res-heavy unit as worth X Res-light units. In every game I've played in even in the midgame there are still large armies being thrown around. Shields and armour are still making troops more survivable from all manner of spells, arrows and so on, and decent weapons are still enabling troops to kill enemies faster.

Consequently res-intensive units save you gold because you need fewer units to make an effective army, and save more money because you don't have to replace losses to the same extent. That money can go to castles, mages, and all the other funky things money can buy.

Yes, Res becomes steadily less useful as the game goes on. But it allows you to pack more punch for an equivalent gold cost (or pack the same punch for less gold), which makes it potentially a very useful tool for a head start.
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

moderation is on a distinguished road

High resource troops don't necessarily survive longer at all stages of the game. All the armor in the world won't help if you run up against AN attacks like R'yleh's and heat and cold auras will still kill your troops, not to mention SCs and thugs. Ulm has really high resource high protection troops, but they will still be squashed by tramplers. A lot of times low resource, high damage units might be more appropriate.

Armor works some of the against some things. Sometimes it's better to have blockers like MA R'yleh's 5GP/1Res Lobos. And units with natural protection like crab hybrids and hydras are fairly durable while only costing 1 resource. Of course, high resource troops can be useful, but since you have to mass them over many turns, you'll have to pay upkeep and you will have to plan ahead to have enough troops on the field.

There are pros and cons to high resource troops and productivity, but it's hard to say that resources are nearly as useful as gold the way the game is right now. If castles had to be built with resources, as others have mentioned, production might be useful.