.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old October 20th, 2008, 06:00 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2 New maps: Otherland and Spheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrison View Post
I will try to be as polite as I can.
You didn't try hard enough.

It's been over two weeks, the thread was just bumped, Valis just got some positive comments on his maps, and you decided to be a prick and ensure he doesn't come back and change his attitude.

I liked the idea behind his maps. I didn't like the maps themselves (I didn't even download them), because they lacked polishing and the source images didn't look like they'd work well as maps, but the idea could have been great. I could accept conquering the world that's in fact in the backs of gigantic turtles, if the map had good terrain selection, outlines for the provinces and interesting province connections. The algae of that picture could work as forests, the rocks in the bottom would be mountains or caves, and if the map wrapped on east-west direction it could be made to work. It'd be a 45-or-so land-province map with several seas, good for games without sea nations even though it favours amphibious and sailing nations.

Quote:
You got negative reactions to your personality, MUCH more than your maps.

You're not an artist, you're just someone with an inability to handle criticism. Ballbarian didn't tell you to "manipulate people", all he basically said was that people would be nicer if you weren't such a prick.

I will continue to look forward to your understanding of mapmaking to improve, as well as your personality.

<3
The quote above is just a fragment of what you wrote. This fragment would've been quite enough, TWO WEEKS AGO, when the discussion was actually relevant!

If you can't read your own words and say "if that was someone else I'd think he was a jerk", then that makes you a hypocrite. (Even if you didn't start it.)
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:00 AM

Corporal

Singularity24601 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
I think there's more scope for maps which do interesting things with water provinces - deep trenches and coral reefs and underwater caves for instance.
Here here. I'm currently making Earth-based maps by combining satellite photos with topographic and bathymetric data (estimated ~2000 provinces for the whole planet, but I plan to release smaller sections separately). Researching and interpreting ancient names of all the world's provinces, bays, gulfs, straits, etc, is slow though manageable, but I've found relatively little information on the names of Earth's underwater terrain features. Sure I've got the main trenches, ridges and basins, but anyone know where I can find more detailed resources such as this example?
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:17 AM

Private

innerpattern is on a distinguished road

I completely regret bumping this thread now... there is a reason I said, "but that is the past this is now..."

I was hoping cooler, and more logical heads would prevail
Old October 20th, 2008, 05:26 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

My apologies, Endo.

I wander in and out of here, and this was when I saw this (no blame on you innerpattern, these things happen).

I was shocked by the first post in this thread, so I read the other threads, and was more shocked. The OP really got under my skin, and I admit, I was overly profuse in my reaction, and probably should have resisted the urge to post.

Unfortunately, this falls under the category of "reasons we wanted to keep our editing privileges". That is to say, I am confident that I've not broken any forum rules, however I was rather harsh, and if I could, I'd atone for lashing out, by reducing the volume of my voice.

Unfortunately, it gets to stay there. I meant it, but I should have gathered more self control. (And I appreciate the irony Endo, but I am full well aware that I can be quite the prick when something hits me wrong, and I knew I wasn't exactly being cordial here. I just haven't mastered the art of being lovably prickly, like Aezeal - I'm generally likable when I'm nice, but not at all when I'm mean. Doesn't stop me from being mean now and then, I guess I am just crazy like that.)
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:28 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

It's OK jim, as you might have seen others had the same feeling.. but we also hoped that he'd learned something of the various replies he'd gotten so your sort of late reply was well... to late

doesn't mean you are wrong though
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old October 21st, 2008, 10:29 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

I personally don't care for the maps, but I'm not going to bag on Aezeal. I've played MP with him, and he's a good enough guy.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:14 AM

First Lieutenant

Edratman is on a distinguished road

Good Grief!!!

The vast majority of us are hoping, no make that praying, that this thread falls off the the first page to the netherworld of "other pages". For the third day in a row it's been the top post in the forum.

HINT, HINT.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 03:02 PM

Lieutenant General

who was bagging on me btw? Lingchicks message leaves me a bit confused since I didn't know this thread was about me.

Making the thread be about me would seriously improve it's quality though.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 07:20 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

God I hate Aezeal.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:22 PM

Lieutenant General

Did someone just say "Aezeal I hate Aezeal"

seems the thread is about me anyway, last post probably falls under "bagging Aezeal"... so Lingchih seems to be able to see in the future. /me is impressed.

Of course Sombre is allowed his feelings... no matter how strange they are.