This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old August 19th, 2008, 01:52 AM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Ideas how to improve WinSP MBT/WW2 !

In regards to your removal of wreckage question, I believe it has been an issue of time frame and scope of the game. I'm sure if Engineering Vehicles were given to ability to move wrecks, next folks would want them to dig hull down positions etc.

Frankly in modern combat an ARV type vehicle would be an expensive and hard to replace asset to put into real harms way to open a road in the time frame our battles occur. These assets do that stuff later once the frontlines are far removed from the offending vehicle. I feel your pain brother! More than once has a bridge as a great example, had brewed up armour sitting on it slowing my race across to secure to other side. I've thought, " If only I could order someone to "push that junk off the bridge!" alla Col Hessler.

As for bridge layers, I do believe they could be cobbled together using barge carriers and barges, something which is in my long list of things to do. If I manage this I will post for sure. Again I believe the game scope has made it a non issue and besides if needed a bridge can be laid and regular stone bridge could double as such, MAYBE someone could add a bailey type bridge into the bridge types for building maps, that would make me happy. I have in the past used a rail bridge as a Bailey.

Tank Transporters, can be handy to move slow tanks to the battle area and move damaged ones to the rear. This might be useful especially in a campaign. Personally you’d need a large map and likely a scenario in the 40’s or 50’s to make these worthwhile because in a modern battlefield these would high value interdiction targets.

The other reason for their inclusion would be for scenario building. I suppose one could use this argument for the inclusion of bridge layers as well.

Man, I love this game!!!!

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old August 19th, 2008, 03:02 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ideas how to improve WinSP MBT/WW2 !

One solution that might be feasible code-wise may be that the "engineering" points (mines, dragon teeth, tranches, barbed wire) might get to be used for say building a wooden bridge in your deployment area.
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah, I understand that, but the thing with carry capacity wouldn't be possible for destroyed tanks, right? And I guess any other way would be too difficult... Too bad. Thanks for the answers.
Reading again I relized that I confused "destroyed" for "immobilized". Immobilized vehicles can be removed by any unit with sufficient carry capacity.
Removing destroyed vehicles has not been discussed, not to the same extent as some other topics at any rate. I am not sure that a burning 60 tons wreck, with the ammo going off and perhaps blocked tracks due to the heat playing tricks with the automotive components is something that can be just casually pushed around but then I have never been there and done that. You might try to ask on tanknet and see what they tell you.

In regards to bridge layers there is for example a neat GSP ferry icon, n.3228, which looks quite like a pontoon bridge although it would have to be used as a ferry (which is exactly what it is in real life anyway). Here is a drawing:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/army/...s/Image192.gif
The Following User Says Thank You to Marcello For This Useful Post:
Old August 28th, 2008, 08:54 PM

First Lieutenant

Potion Re: Ideas how to improve WinSP MBT/WW2 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello View Post
In regards to bridge layers there is for example a neat GSP ferry icon, n.3228, which looks quite like a pontoon bridge although it would have to be used as a ferry (which is exactly what it is in real life anyway). Here is a drawing:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/army/...s/Image192.gif
I must check that out thanks for the heads up.

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:17 AM

Captain

thatguy96 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBob View Post
As for bridge layers, I do believe they could be cobbled together using barge carriers and barges, something which is in my long list of things to do.
This does not work, at least for bridging actual water hexes. I've tried it many times myself. A single water hex will be ringed with 6 "shore" hexes. While a barge can unload onto shore without moving into the shore hex, it must be actually on the shore hex to load the unit. Therefore the "bridge" requires at least 1 point of water movement. A craft in water without at least one point of water movement sinks anyhow, further compounding the problem. I'm not sure if the barge script allows the unloading of a unit into an adjacent hex when on a "land" hex of some sort (such as a stream or canal hex). However, it would not be able to load a vehicle unless it were in the same hex (I believe), which would also render the concept pointless. Lastly, to add in an AVLB "barge carrier," one would have to overwrite the default "barge" unit in the OOB with a bridge, removing the option to buy basic barges.

In short, I think we're stuck with barges and GSP-like items. Things like the GSP "ferry" bridge section exist in a number of armies, and are much more feasible than actual bridges.
Old August 29th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Private

TLAM_Strike is on a distinguished road

I was thinking about the larger sea going LSTs that can carry 10-15 MBTs and 600 troops and was wondering if there was any way to add that.

For example if a unit has a carry capacity of 450 it can carry 150 pts of units with no size restriction, 550 is 250 etc.
Old August 29th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Captain

thatguy96 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM_Strike View Post
I was thinking about the larger sea going LSTs that can carry 10-15 MBTs and 600 troops and was wondering if there was any way to add that.

For example if a unit has a carry capacity of 450 it can carry 150 pts of units with no size restriction, 550 is 250 etc.
They'd also have to be about 3.5 hexes long The carry capacity limit is hard coded, and I have to assume that if it was just a matter of setting it to a really high limit it would've been done by now. Maybe not. A little more carry capacity would be nice, but I don't see it happening.
Old August 29th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,709 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

[quote=thatguy96;635149]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM_Strike View Post
The carry capacity limit is hard coded, and I have to assume that if it was just a matter of setting it to a really high limit it would've been done by now. Maybe not. A little more carry capacity would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

You won't.

255 is the highest number you can enter for carry so anything with the capacity to carry a tank for example is limited to 55 carry points(255) Something that could carry light guns and men could be set to 199 and they would carry 99 points of men as would something with 99 carry. The first of the three numbers is the code to carry guns ( 1) or vehicles ( 2 )and once you get to the 2's you run into the maximum number ( 255 ) and that's why all the barges are usually 255

The only way to make that higher would be to tear the code apart and start over. Pretty much everything anymore is "tear the code apart and start over" becasue we've pretty much done everything else that doesn't involve tearing the code apart and starting over.IF we did decide to tear the code apart these games are dead becasue we wouldn't be using any SP code anymore and the restictions we are under becasue we are using SP code would disapear.

Andy and I discussed this years ago before the Windows upgrade and weighed the pros and cons. Had we decided to scrap the existing format we wouldn't be having this chat becasue there wouldn't be a winSPWW2 or a winSPMBT to wish it had this or that different and given the sheer number of hours it would take to rebuild a game to the same level we wouldn't be discussing that game either becasue we'd only be half way through development.

In a way a lot of this is interesting because the longer it goes on the more it looks like discussion forum wish lists after SP1 was released.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Don

`

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle..
Old August 29th, 2008, 03:53 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,709 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy96 View Post
The carry capacity limit is hard coded, and I have to assume that if it was just a matter of setting it to a really high limit it would've been done by now. Maybe not. A little more carry capacity would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

You won't.

255 is the highest number you can enter for carry so anything with the capacity to carry a tank for example is limited to 55 carry points(255) Something that could carry light guns and men could be set to 199 and they would carry 99 points of men as would something with 99 carry. The first of the three numbers is the code to carry guns ( 1) or vehicles ( 2 )and once you get to the 2's you run into the maximum number ( 255 ) and that's why all the barges are usually 255

The only way to make that higher would be to tear the code apart and start over. Pretty much everything anymore is "tear the code apart and start over" becasue we've pretty much done everything else that doesn't involve tearing the code apart and starting over.IF we did decide to tear the code apart these games are dead becasue we wouldn't be using any SP code anymore and the restictions we are under becasue we are using SP code would disapear.

Andy and I discussed this years ago before the Windows upgrade and weighed the pros and cons. Had we decided to scrap the existing format we wouldn't be having this chat becasue there wouldn't be a winSPWW2 or a winSPMBT to wish it had this or that different and given the sheer number of hours it would take to rebuild a game to the same level we wouldn't be discussing that game either becasue we'd only be half way through development.

In a way a lot of this is interesting because the longer it goes on the more it looks like discussion forum wish lists after SP1 was released.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Don

`

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle..
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:02 PM

First Lieutenant

Lightbulb Re: Ideas how to improve WinSP MBT/WW2 !

Thanks all, for that info. Just saved me a lot of time trying to create something that will not work.

As for the LST notion, I have in the past created maps with small islands to serve as LSV,LSD's etc for the troops landing. It took some playing around but I got it to work and it made for some interesting battles. It gave the AI something to target beside the LC's themselves and generated more causalities "at sea" than with just the Landing Craft. Just make sure they are just beyond visual range from the guns on the beach. If anybodies interested we discuss this further.

Bob out