.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:06 AM

Corporal

Singularity24601 is on a distinguished road
Default Mad rantings

Hello peoples,

A few of you might remember me from years ago:
* I modded using features that had not yet been implemented for modders by editing the .exe file. However, this method proved unpopular, and is rarely needed anyway.
* I modded using Illwinter sprites before the unit sprites were officially released. I initially extracted 1 or 2 sprites by manually reconstructing them one pixel at a time based on screenshots. This method was obviously far too difficult. What I never revealed was that afterwards, I was able to write a computer program to decode .trs files. I never released this program so that Illwinter could maintain control of their own data and formats. As a demonstration, I have attached some unused nation flags from flags.trs (as far as I know, these have not been released?); seems like Illwinter drew up flags for Mordor and Isengard .

The main reasons preventing me from re-entering the modding scene:
* Finals exams before graduation in a few weeks.
* The inability to express certain ideas into the Dominions 3 engine. Most limitations can be worked around, but the main issue for me at the moment is the lack of #nationmon/#nationcom commands for magic site modding (set 'nation nbr' as -1 to allow any nation to recruit the unit). If these commands existed, they would allow features such as:
- A map where Arcoscephale, in addition to its capital-only units, could recruit Homoioi from the province of Laconia ("This! Is! Spartaaa!!!"), Hieros Lochos Hoplites from the province of Boeotia (Illwinter's 'Heart Companions' are based on these), etc.
- A scenario where a nation is after some sort of 'promised land', with improved unit options on arrival.
- Most importantly, it would solve the issues of limited sites per province, and limited abilities per site (I've already maxed out the number of possible capital-only units in my mods).

By the way, here's my draft unit list for an alternative Atlantis, not Illwinter's underwater realm, but a powerful human nation before it sunk into the ocean. I've based my design by combining ancient Greek texts about Atlantis with archaeological findings (artifacts and deciphered texts) from lost civilizations that preceded Classical Greece (Minoan, Cycladic, Mycenaean):
- Slave Warrior
- Slave Slinger
- Slave Archer
- Amphipolos?
- Spearman
- Swordsman
- Slinger
- Archer
- Kiritewia
- Purkoos
- Hierourgos
- Kitimenouros