.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old December 29th, 2008, 02:16 AM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reign of the Vampiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiSoldier View Post
Ok, I tested this mod out and on the 3rd turn my capital got attacked by a vampire count independant army with a ton of vampires and thralls. It was enough to wipe out my intial army and everything else I had recruited up to that turn effectively taking me out of the game. That kind of stuff obviously needs to be toned down.
I've played several games with the mod and never had anything like this happen. Did you take misfortune??

Quote:
Also it doesnt look like any of your vampires are immortal which takes away any excitement I had had for this mod. So I probably will not investigate further unless you change this in the future. You say you fixed the description for Immortality, but I dont see it at all so I dont know what you meant by that.
I do agree that they are not (and it was the immortality that made me look at this in the first place) but given my experience with the race that's probably for the best. They would be too powerful otherwise.

The race is a bit slow to start but once you get your blood economy up it's already a very powerful race.

If you're not faced with an immediate threat, cast blood trap. Cast it again. Cast it some more. Then cast blood trap.

For your slaves you get a unit *PER TURN* for the rest of the game. No upkeep, no food. Summon Wraith Lords to lead them so you don't need too big a pile of commanders.

Sure, they aren't the best of units but against anything short of well-prepared mages or SC's quantity has a quality all it's own.
Old December 29th, 2008, 04:28 AM

Captain

Amos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ok, I tested this mod out and on the 3rd turn my capital got attacked by a vampire count independant army with a ton of vampires and thralls. It was enough to wipe out my intial army and everything else I had recruited up to that turn effectively taking me out of the game. That kind of stuff obviously needs to be toned down.
Nothing to do with the mod - except for the new sprites. It's a regular in-game event.

Quote:
Also it doesnt look like any of your vampires are immortal which takes away any excitement I had had for this mod. So I probably will not investigate further unless you change this in the future. You say you fixed the description for Immortality, but I dont see it at all so I dont know what you meant by that.
The idea for the mod was to make more "realistic" vampires. Only the most powerful vampires in literature and movies are actually immortal. I removed immortality and replaced it with very high def and regen.
By "fixing the descriptions" I meant that I removed mentioning of immortality, which I forgot to do before.
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:15 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Amos' Travelers mod is a nation of immortal fliers. You might want to give that a try, since it might be closer to what you thought this mod would be. They can't recruit any mages but have seducers that might help with that.
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

well I think most set ups for nations of immortals would be pretty unbalanced in longer games why would you even want that.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:35 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Well, in the travelers mod you do get immortals and you can get tons of them. However, they die of old age after only a few years (probably makes them great targets for wind of death) and most of them aren't very good at killing, so they're more like an endless wave of chaff. Some of them do get mind blasts though. All in all I didn't find the immortals themselves to be overpowered, but maybe if I had used more battle magic they would have been (though amos' mods tend to have pretty poor artillery mage potential, and I think that's one of them).

The immortals in llamabeast's tomb kings aren't bad either. They're sacred medium infantry, possibly heavy infantry equivalent for the age, but it takes a lot of work, gold and gems to make very many of them and just building them is not a winning strategy. I should know because llamabeast is proving it to me right now in the warhammerama game
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:47 PM

Lieutenant General

Well if they die fast anyway you can hardly call them immortal can you

and I was talking about a whole nation of really undying immortals .

I think immortal units are great for flavor but insisting on a whole nation of them is just too much I'd say.
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:59 PM

General

This is probably true.
Old December 29th, 2008, 04:03 PM

Lieutenant General

rdonj... I said it... so .... why the probably
Old December 29th, 2008, 04:59 PM

General

I meant probably in the affirmative "yes, you're right" sort of sense
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:30 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Quote:
I do agree that they are not (and it was the immortality that made me look at this in the first place) but given my experience with the race that's probably for the best. They would be too powerful otherwise.
Too powerful? When we have experts that feel they can beat anything?
Maybe you could add immortality, tweak it to operate well with the AI intelligence, set it up with a great god and scales on a really large map...
then start an MP scenario game. All vs the Reign of the Vampiri.
"the Vampiri have settled into the Carpathian Mountains. They must be rousted before they can consolidate their power base" or something like that. Id be glad to host it.

(just a thought)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)