.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old January 29th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

Wauthan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Atlantis strategy

For a pretender I either recommend a plain Ancient Kraken to help with early expansion and being an all around tough guy. With no picks in magic it's even expandable since it can be quickly called back by the powerful atlantean priests. 10 of them brings it back in one turn!
This pick gives you a lot of points to push into growth and productivity scales.

But since Atlantis sports some very tough sacred troops, as well as freaking monsters for priests, a Nereid pretender with 9 water gives you a lot of bang for the buck. Sacred troops can however only be built at the capital but the priests themselves become powerhouses with the blessing of quickness and defence.

For water warfare you can not go wrong with the lobsterriders. These guys can turn any ocean battle, tough not by themselves. Always put a fair number of lighter troops ahead of the riders to absorb the first strike and consentrate the enemy for a trampling charge.

Atlantean infantry is pretty durable, but expensive in resources, so quickly add tritons and summons to the main force. Shamblers are too expensive and hungry to use in large numbers, but mixing them into the main force gives you a little extra punch against heavy critters.

Tritons and sea serpents make an excellent commander busting force if set on hold and attack archers (or rearmost). Always keep a few of these guys in each army to disrupt underwater spellcasters and mindbLasters.

When you shamble onto land you'll be forced to leave your tritons, lobsters and summons behind. Take this into consideration early so you don't waste money each turn to support troops that are now of no use. Build a landbased fortress, lab and temple ASAP. Most rituals can only be used on land and your enemies know this. They WILL try to push you back into the sea as fast as they can.

Make the fortress in a province that lets to recruit archers. Preferably armored archers since your enemies will try and take them out first in each battle, since you can not easily recruit more. Again summons are a good friend.

As I'm sure you noticed summoning is the Atlantean magic of choice. You quickly get access to the powerful seaserpent and the durable kraken, as well as the second best sitescrying ritual.

If possible try to research Water Strike quickly since this spell will let you dominate seabased battles. Quickness is easy to grab and multiversatile. Your starting spell gives you an early edge against R'lyeh as long as you don't forget to bring watergems.

You strength lies in your strong mages and priests, well besides your flexible ability to rule the oceans. An enemy set to attack rearmost will find that your commanders can take a lot of punishment and still prod buttock. Your infantery is above average and can retreat into the water if they face a superior force. You sacred units can take on three times their own numbers and still win. The lobsters will let you tear to shreds anyone silly enough to attack you in the sea, including mighty R'lyeh.

Your glaring weakness is the lack of missile troops. R'Lyeh will mindbLast you to oblivion if you don't bring enough units and crossbows will wither your army. Knowing this you'll be wise to learn air magic since they contain the ways to render bolts and arrows worthless. A staff of storms is a good investment.

Water magic is unfortunatly cold in it's hostile form, which kills your own troops. Script your mages well and keep the apart from eachother and the troops, since the love casting breath of winter.

Buy priests when you can since waterprovinces usually are spread thin and thus targets of a lot of hostile dominion. You need to pray a lot to keep those white candles.

Expand fast and early since you opponents can't reach you, unless they're strong in Death magic or R'lyeh. These guys are your main enemy, especially the squidfaces. Press the attack against them without fail. If allowed to expand they will beat you in the midgame when their summoning and astral magic comes into play. Tritons and Sea Serpents on attack archers eats squids for breakfast so get some allies quickly.

Once you rule the ocean you need to establish a strong land fortress. If you manage this you will be a nightmare to fight since you can basicly pick your battles at your own terms. Harass the coastline and force your enemies to invest tons of gold into provincial defence and patrollers. Never let your enemy know where you will strike next, which will freak them out since they are busy fighting eachother as well.

[ January 29, 2004, 13:24: Message edited by: Wauthan ]
Old January 29th, 2004, 04:17 PM

Private

gibson is on a distinguished road

Wow, nice write up Wauthan. I think I'll have to try Atlantis this weekend...
Old January 29th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Sergeant

LordArioch is on a distinguished road

I found astral magic rather useful in combat. Banner of the northern star + quicknessed deep seers = lots of stellar cascades.
And even initiates can cast frozen heart, so your combat magic should actually be pretty solid.
Old January 29th, 2004, 04:53 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all that info.

Can I take a +3 cold/hot dominion?
in DOM-I there was no economical penalty for cold/hot underwater provinces
Old January 29th, 2004, 04:55 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Why is no one talking about Sailor's Death? In Dom1 it was ~16 armor negating damage to troops not breathing water, magic ressitance negates. Thaumaturgy 4, I think, needs a Water-3 mage to cast it. I have never really used it, though, so I can't say anything but that it LOOKS the spell for Atlantis before Murdering Winter...
Old January 29th, 2004, 05:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

rabelais is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by izaqyos:
Thanks for all that info.

Can I take a +3 cold/hot dominion?
in DOM-I there was no economical penalty for cold/hot underwater provinces
Still true.

Nereid for efficency. Mother Guards *almost* move at water-9.

OTOH, the Dagon is expensive, but FUN. InstaSC!

Rabe the Immersed
Old January 29th, 2004, 05:49 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

I get the feeling that people prefer the Nereid with 9 water to the ancient kraken.

does water 9 blessing give cold prot beside quickness?
If so, is it feasible to have an army of sacred troops only? this way the mages can use some devestating cold damage dealing spells.
Old January 29th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

Waterblessing does not give protection from cold. Which is good since it's arguable the best blessing already.

While heat/cold scale doesn't affect sea provinces they will have an impact on you when you leave the water. Plan accordingly.

If you want to rely on cold spells for damage then use icedrakes and similar summons to provide a screen for your mages.

[ January 29, 2004, 15:55: Message edited by: Wauthan ]
Old January 29th, 2004, 06:58 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Wauthan:
Atlantean infantry is pretty durable, but expensive in resources, so quickly add tritons and summons to the main force. Shamblers are too expensive and hungry to use in large numbers, but mixing them into the main force gives you a little extra punch against heavy critters.
From the combat simulator, it seems that Shamblers are totally worthless. A War Shambler generally loses to 2 normal infantry, even really weak ones - the 3 resource Atlantian infantry, triton guards, independant 5-resource infantry, etc. Plain shamblers do even worse. I would not recommend shamblers, and only War Shamblers versus very heavy armor. They do as well against Ulm heavy infantry as against indy light infantry.
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hmmm... that's fairly odd Saber Cherry. While I'm not questioning your simulator I have not found shamblers to be that worthless. In fact most of the trouble I had have been caused by their low morale rather than their inability to kill things. I've seen bands of plain shamblers beat up heavy cavalery and war shamblers have often been the Last one standing in major battles.

Odd no?