.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 21st, 2008, 12:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

moderation is on a distinguished road
Default What is missing from the Dom3 manual?

Hi, I found the Dom2 Manual addenda by googling around and I've been wondering if there is a similiar addenda for Dom3. Mostly I'm wondering about what parts of the manual are inaccurate or have become out of date, or what importing things may be left out of it as of version 3.15, such as the detail on the new races, etc.
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:03 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is missing from the Dom3 manual?

Have a look at the Manual typos thread. I never heard if they ship corrected manuals now or if they don't.
Emergency comic relief
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

Hmm, maybe... The manual I just received includes the missing spells information and hotkey information at the Dom 3 downloads page and the last printed page is 294. However there is no other indication of what "printing" or edition it is. How about yours?
Old March 21st, 2008, 05:41 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

That's two pages more than the old manual which I've got. Index is on page 290-292 and nothing after that.

The following nations are missing from the manual:
Lanka, Fomoria, Tir na n'Og, Eriu, LA Pythium, Bogarus and obviously all Gath nations (Hinnom, Ashdod and Gath) that are set to appear in the next patch. All new spells are also missing and info for some nations (MA and LA Ulm and LA Abysia) is badly out of date.
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

Hmm, a cursory look tells me the descriptions of none of those nations are in my copy of the manual. I looked at my friend's old copy, and I saw that the last page in my manual is the printable PDF of the hotkeys from the Dom3 downloads. Nothing special there, but I wondering what the other added page is... Mostly though, I'm wondering about game mechanics that might have been described in the manual, but tweaked at some point through patches to be different. Of course, the manual is detailed on certain game mechanics, but somewhat vague on others. Basically I think i would like detailed info on _all_ of the game mechanics, but I guess that's what most of us who are interested in MP would like.

I'm wondering, is there a place where we can download PDF files of the newly added nations so we can print em out and stick them in our manuals? I know there's the in game descriptions, but they lack certain information like the fort types and PD types. And besides it's just nice to have a hard copy. I suppose I could make do by transcribing the screenshots and then figuring out PD and fort types by testing, but that seems a bit onerous, even for those who love Dominions lore.
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:32 AM

Not going to happen unless somebody volunteers to write the missing manual entries. Good luck finding someone. I sure as hell am not going to bother. And there is the thing about needing to get Shrapnel Games approval for any such project.
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

Well, maybe at some point in the future... I'm still learning the game. I am wondering how the Dom 2 Addenda team got approval though.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:12 AM

Probably just asked. And probably after the fact too. If anyone does write the missing nation entries, Shrapnel might even host the errata/addendum PDF and put their official or unofficial approval on it. The people to ask would be Annette and Mindi. They are administrators here, so just send a PM and ask if you feel like doing it and want their approval.

So far as things generally go, the documentation I've done is all unofficial, but it's the most widely used stuff in modding circles. I expect that any manual addendum material, official or unofficial, would be widely used by those who like using the manual. I generally look at the manual maybe once every four months, so I have zero interest in putting effort toward the addendum.