.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old March 12th, 2005, 05:46 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Faerun - Pending Update, Need Opinions

Hello, everyone. It's past time that the Faerun maps get updated mapfiles, so that is exactly what is going to be in the offing in a few days. List of things to fix has included making Vanheim suck less and giving them a land bridge to the continent, fixing a several terrain type bugs and neighbor issues and updating a couple of other things that had been broken by patches to the game. And fixing the problem that killed all the starting troops for Man.

However, I mostly need feedback on the following issues:
  1. I've seen some comments that gave me the impression that there are too many free water gem sites in the northern provinces (the ones that have Frozen Lands as a known feature) and that it helps kickstart clam hoarding for several nations. Is this a problem on either version of the Faerun map and should some of these known sites be removed?
  2. Some of the special scripted provinces have pretty harsh garrisons, I would like to know which ones are overpowered and which ones are underpowered considering what you get for your trouble when you crack them open.
  3. Is there call for the special province rewards to be altered?
  4. Are there any other issues that would need modification or balancing with the current starting location setup?
  5. Any other concerns or opinions about the maps you would like to talk to me about.
That's about it, now start blasting away. Just remember to tell me whether your comments apply to the small map, the large map or both. Noting how many games you've played on the maps will also be helpful. Note also that I will discard all feedback that is not backed up with solid reasoning. "Because I think so" without saying why will not cut it.

Thank you in advance.

Edi
Old March 12th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Faerun - Pending Update, Need Opinions

As far as clams go, I think people who don't like clamhoarding will play with an anti-clam mod so it won't matter, but if people play unmodded, then I don't know.

I have not played the map yet; I just downloaded it, so I can't speak for anything else. In general, though, 300+ province maps are way too big for me. Have you given any thought to a version with even larger (fewer) provinces?
Old March 12th, 2005, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Saber Cherry said:
I have not played the map yet; I just downloaded it, so I can't speak for anything else. In general, though, 300+ province maps are way too big for me. Have you given any thought to a version with even larger (fewer) provinces?
No, I hadn't, but now that you brought it up, I might actually make one. Sound out if you want a Faerun map approximately around the size of the Cradle one, somewhere around < 250 provinces.

Edi
Old March 12th, 2005, 07:44 PM

First Lieutenant

The_Tauren13 is on a distinguished road

If there was a small Faerun that was actually, well, small (100-150 provinces), I would actually play it. Doesn't the existing 'small' Faerun already have 250 provinces? So if you did make another version (im not specifically saying you should), make it actually small.
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:09 PM

First Lieutenant

Huzurdaddi is on a distinguished road

I've played a couple of games on your excellent faerun map. A couple of comments:

1) The provinces with fortresses have to go. People almost always take the provinces in the early stages of the game with a scout. Wish it was not that way.

2) Couldn't care less about the clam thing as I always play with an anti-clam mod.

3) Perhaps you should boost the PD on hellkeep. That summoning circle is crazy and I personally will go for it each and every time. It already has the best PD on the map but perhaps it needs even more.

4) Calimport's PD seems a little too weak for such a great province. Some kind of heavy hitting flyer mixed in with he PD would really help. Or maybe switching the lions for a flyer.

5) Northen Thay doesn't have much going for it and a decent sized PD. Perhaps it should get some kind of resources?

That's all I really have off of the top of my head. It's a great map. Keep 'em comming!
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The_Tauren13 said:
If there was a small Faerun that was actually, well, small (100-150 provinces), I would actually play it. Doesn't the existing 'small' Faerun already have 250 provinces? So if you did make another version (im not specifically saying you should), make it actually small.
I second that... I'd certainly play a 100-150 sized Faerun. It's a really neat looking map, but for me, big maps (250+) never seem to finish, or become tedious, and maps under 125 are the most fun.
Old March 12th, 2005, 11:31 PM

Corporal

Ighalli is on a distinguished road

I'd definately use the map if it was around 100 or so provinces. I don't find the late game stuff (100+ turns)nearly as interesting as the earlier parts. Beautiful map, by the way!
Old March 13th, 2005, 05:39 AM

Thanks for the comments, people.

Huzurdadi, you seem to be still playing with the first version of the map, which had fortresses in most of the valuable provinces. I did make one map file update that addressed that issue, it removed all but two of them, and the ones that were left were both in the Moonshaes (which was just as well, given how vadly poor design of that part of the map screwed Vanheim over).

But since there seems to be call for a ~100-160 province Faerun, I'll see what I can do about cutting the small version of Faerun in half. Don't hold your breath, though, it will take some time to get done.

Edi
Old March 13th, 2005, 05:43 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road

I have only played one game on the original Faerun (as a tester way back then) and 3 games, all SP, on the small one, also mostly testing. The map is incredibly appealing due to its thematic flair and its graphics. But I have never stuck with it, and didnt want to play an MP game on it, for these reasons:

1. even the small map is too large
2. I have problems discerning provinces and province neighbors, even with the new and improved black sunbursts

Regarding point 2, I often didnt know what was a province, since there are no distinct province borders, and I am used to these. (I completely overlooked Calimport until I got surprised!)

In general, I like smallerish maps with interesting chokepoints. Your map is beautiful, and if it were half the size or even less, I would love it even more!
Old March 13th, 2005, 06:51 AM

Tinkthank, if you download the maps from Arryn's site, you will find that the even the targa files are updated. I added province borders way back when, sometime last summer. People really should pay attention...

Edi