.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 18th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stardock selling dominions

broken??? it rocks.. you should hear the kewl music I'm hearing now.. I wish I could mod that into dominions
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:04 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Because it has no multiplayer! If it had multiplayer, it'd be broken, or it'd have to be balanced, making single-player weaker. Multiplayer + MoM2 = mystery - how could it work?
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

I just read you can hotseat it with a certain program
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:14 PM

First Lieutenant

jutetrea is on a distinguished road

as my .02, galciv2 rocked. Dominions is a fantastic game, same vein, different approach. Nothing but good.
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:06 AM

Private

colonp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
llamabeast said:
Not on TotalGaming.net yet, and I haven't got an e-mail yet... maybe they're releasing it as we type.
It's "just" a 20% off coupon for GamersFront.com, so you can stop looking

Btw, this is the first I've heard of the Stardock fantasy tbs. Sounds very promising
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:57 AM

First Lieutenant

Edratman is on a distinguished road

This thread brings up a trend that I find disturbing. It is getting harder and harder to buy PC games in stores. For example, Best Buy used to have 4 aisles of PC games, now it's down to one. Electronic Boutique used to be almost 100% PC games, now it's maybe 5 %. Around me, the best selection of PC games is now available at Target, go figure. If nothing else, this introduces concern for the future of the PC game. This is accented by the fact that Civ 4 is still featured (in some minor fashion) in the stores around me despite the fact that it is a year old.

I'm old fashioned (and old) and like to touch and hold something before I buy it. Besides, if it weren't for the reviews (small but favorable) in the computer game magazines I get, there is probably no way I would have found Dom 3.

Just a minor rant.
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:35 AM

First Lieutenant

jutetrea is on a distinguished road

Fully agree with you, EB Games and Gamespot used to have huge walls of PC games, including older and bargain bin items.

Now they just have that tiny 5x5 of PC games.

My personal fave for bargain bin games is gogamer.com. 24 hour madness sales. I lost my fallout CD and they had the complete set for like 6.99. Lately the sales have been of much lesser quality though
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:46 AM

Private

Lyzra is on a distinguished road

This is just my view but in the past there were more game releases. Thus nowdays the volume of games being published seems to be rather thin in comparison to past values. At least those that ever make to a box in a store.

Also some places that sell games dont do like they did in past, having more games on shelfs. They seem to hold considerably smaller quantities of any single given game. Thenagain this might be just my flawed perception of the matter.

A good question would be something as how well or in volume do games sell for businesses selling them nowdays? Afterall there seem to be more shops selling games, much larger quantity of netsales and so forth. If its not good volume/business any longer for any given physical shops to sell games and it still costs the same amount to rent the business property via actual physical size. I could imagine the gaming section would get severely cut.
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:27 PM

First Lieutenant

Edratman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lyzra said:
This is just my view but in the past there were more game releases. Thus nowdays the volume of games being published seems to be rather thin in comparison to past values. At least those that ever make to a box in a store.

Also some places that sell games dont do like they did in past, having more games on shelfs. They seem to hold considerably smaller quantities of any single given game. Thenagain this might be just my flawed perception of the matter.

A good question would be something as how well or in volume do games sell for businesses selling them nowdays? Afterall there seem to be more shops selling games, much larger quantity of netsales and so forth. If its not good volume/business any longer for any given physical shops to sell games and it still costs the same amount to rent the business property via actual physical size. I could imagine the gaming section would get severely cut.
I am sure that the stores have a sound financial reason for reducing the floor space allocated to PC games.

That is what concerns me.
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:28 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Edratman said:
I am sure that the stores have a sound financial reason for reducing the floor space allocated to PC games.

That is what concerns me.
I believe it's because 98% of PC gamers have and use internet access thus finding it easier to make purchases online.
Not all of the console gamers have internet access and most console gamers are from the younger generations which lack knowledge/ability to purchase online.

It's my theory PCGamers are buying online in bulk of 4+ games at once and/or combination with other items to save money via combo discounts. Unfortunately that's not the entire reason... it seems more and more of the younger crowd is leaning toward console games. It's easier for companies to hook them on console games because there's almost no software or hardware to install and manage.

I actually recommend parents to not buy console systems because a PC system serves multiple purposes. And a youngster who is able to build, configure, secure and manage his own PC systems will have a stronger technical education than a youngster who is able to setup and manage his console system.