.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

View Poll Results: Hexediting the .2h file to insert unreachable orders
Yes, it's abuse. 143 89.38%
No, it's OK. 0 0%
I do not understand the abuse, or have not thought about it. 17 10.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 27th, 2008, 07:50 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Time for a poll. (The subject is abuse)

Right. This has gone far enough. I'm off to bed right now, but if the tone of this discussion does not turn more civil, I'm going to start oppressing offensive posts and locking threads.

The thing is, despite the occasional flareups here, I happen to like this community because most of the time there is no need to break out the Modstick. The staff don't like to use them, but if we have to, we will.

I will refrain from giving out warnings for now, but if this crap persists in the morning when I get to work and log back in, these thing will look like somebody hit it with multiple castings of flames from the sky, gifts from heaven and rain of stones before I'm done. And that's before the admins step in. What they will do is an altogether different kettle of fish.
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:55 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

So we shouldn't ruining the game by "shouting at the developers" about things that the developers say shouldn't work like that?

None of the things in the poll are there just because they're unbalanced. They're there because they've been acknowledged as bug or at least unintended features.

So please, lose the strawman of " until everything is fixed to be very uniform and straight forward." That's not what people are talking about here. This is about exploiting known bugs.
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

You have misquoted me. I said "be careful not to ruin the game". I did not say "You are going to ruin the game" as you imply.
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:11 PM

Major

Hadrian_II is on a distinguished road

Every exploit listed except .2h file hacking can easily be fixed by altering the program code.

So the devs should either say that these actions are wanted, or fix them. (Or say they are not wanted, but they are not interested in fixing them [witch would suck]).

As for Battlefield enchantments --> why dont they just end if the casting mage is no longer around (death or routed). Or make just the damaging enchantments end, and let things like lights of the northern star and relief word even without mage.

As for sending slave collars --> why is the labspace limited, or just pool forged items to the lab before items from message, and add a way to dump items from labs without to have to equip them first (as slave collars are cursed)

VotD, twiceborn are minor glitches which are annoying, but not game breaking.

Communions, in my opinion the most difficult thing about communions is that they work until the slaves die from exhaustion, so if the slaves also cast spells, they will die earlyer. (but in exchange your army will have more artillery until the slaves faint)

So i just hope that KO says what is bug and what is WAD, and that the bugs will get fixed afterwards. *ommmmm*
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:16 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Cerlin said:
I mean if things like this make people not want to play anymore, and shrink the community, that is bad.
I think I can name at least three people that I removed from the playing community myself, and the actual number is probably even higher.

Quote:
quantum_mechani said:
I've put my two cents in on this before, but in my opinion anything that can be accomplished through the basic game interface and is not specifically outlawed by the host is fair game.
+1

Don't hate the players, hate the game!
Emergency comic relief
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:46 PM

Sergeant

triqui is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Foodstamp said:As was stated above. Anything you do within the confines of the game is not an exploit. I am even starting to soften my view on the slave collar thing.
Several bugs have been fixed from 3.01 to 3.15. "shouting at the developers" is the way the community has to make them realize where the bugs lie, since illwinter is not a blizzard-like monster with millions of dollars in revenue and thousands of employees to make playtest (and even blizzard-like companies make bugs in their games, as programing bug free is basically impossible)

We point what *might* be buggy, they decide if it is a bug or WAD, and they squash the bug whenever it is possible. I dont see where the problem lies. Only crusade i see is your crusade for "give the game as it is, with all it's weird stuff that allow me to move 3 provinces my movement 1 troops and all that cool things i find funny". If KO decides that the way communion, VotD, MoD, twiceborn or the battle enchants work is the way it is intended to work, that's fine. _IF_ they realize it is not the way it is intended to work, then it is a bug, and should be squashed.

I have a suggestion, let KO to debug the game, and those who preffer a "cool" and "funny" game with "wicked things" to do with your movement order and whatnot, can keep playing the un-upgraded and bug-filled 3.01 version of the game.
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:47 PM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road

In my EH II Game, the rules on the 1st page state:

"Two notable exploits that will also be banned;

1. If you capture bogus and his Dark Knight, you can script those captured units to attack mages, but you cannot copy their "attack mage" orders to other commanders.

2. You cannot cast battlefield enchantments that cause damage to enemy units, then retreat the casting mage before 5 rounds of combat passes. In other words, if you cast Wrathful Skies, you cannot order that mage to retreat before 5 turns has passed(your last available scripting order can be retreat)."

So it is always a good thing to set out what is banned before players sign up. If someone wants an everything goes game, they can look elsewhere.

While flooding a player's lab with slave collars etc is not listed, this is obviously abuse and if it occurred in a game I hosted the offending player would be removed for a sub, or his race set to AI.

Edit: Velusion's Rules:

• Using the copy/paste orders + Bogus to target commanders with non-Bogus leaders.
• Spamming items to another player with the intent of filling up their lab so that their forgings will fail.
• Casting a battlefield wide spell continuous spell with a mage and then immediately running away - causing the spell to last forever. This is on Edi's list but is difficult to avoid. The comprise: All mages that cast a battlefield wide enchantment need to stay on the battlefield for 5 complete turns. The very last order can be to retreat.
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:53 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Xietor said:
While flooding a player's lab with slave collars etc is not listed, this is obviously abuse and if it occurred in a game I hosted the offending player would be removed for a sub, or his race set to AI.
I'd thank him for the supply of slave collars, put it on indy commanders and send them against his mage-backed armies...
Emergency comic relief
Old March 27th, 2008, 09:03 PM

First Lieutenant

LoloMo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
lch said:
Quote:
Xietor said:
I'd thank him for the supply of slave collars, put it on indy commanders and send them against his mage-backed armies...
This is the best answer so far!
Old March 27th, 2008, 09:09 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
LoloMo said:
Quote:
lch said:
Quote:
Xietor said:
This is the best answer so far!
Yeah, funny answer, except slave collars are never picked up in a battle. It's been tested.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?