winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Conquest of Elysium II

Old February 12th, 2012, 04:37 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CoE3 AAR: A Chronicle of the Interregnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilock_Dominus View Post
What's the benefit of becoming a vampire instead of a Lich?
Less than half the price in hands of glory and the vampire is a much more combat oriented creature than the lich. The vampire can upgrade himself to a vampire count later, which will also allow access to level 3 spells. Restoring sanity will require destroying hamlets and villages (by eating the population), but if you can find an old castle (required for the ritual) early on, becoming a vampire will allow expansion very quickly.

As a vampire, you can attack enemies without any consideration for losses. If the vampire dies, it will simply reform at the home citadel, stay out of action for a month or two and then go straight back to the fight. The vampire regenerates, so it heals at the end of every combat and if it suffers afflictions, those too will go away on their own (immortality also does the same, so increased chances of quicker recovery).

As the cherry on top, the vampire flies, so his movement is not restricted by terrain even in winter. The only terrain he can't enter is water (which the lich can do).
The Following User Says Thank You to Edi For This Useful Post:
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:20 PM

Androdameia has been defeated and Pantariste's realm is no more. The Rain Priest of the jungle savages has raced north and invaded our lands, but he has not nearly enough troops and even his flying witch assassins (tlahuelpuchi) are not enough to save him when attacked (assassination is available only to attacker).

However, much as I would like to continue this AAR and demonstrate lichdom in another 15 turns, it is sadly no longer possible. The jump from 2.96 to 3.00 broke savegame compatibility and the fate of Barras the Grand Necromancer (soon to become a lich) must be left to the reader's imagination.

Perhaps Barras will return in another incarnation if I wish to do another Fallen Empire AAR, but unfortunately that must be another time. I hope everyone enjoyed this story while it lasted.

There is time for yet one last teaser, though: When you do get the game and explore things, pay attention and somewhere you may find two names that have appeared here...
Old February 13th, 2012, 04:00 PM

Sergeant

Doo is on a distinguished road

Well perhaps its good the new version breaks save games, its always more fun when you experience new things in games yourself. If I hadn't already decided to support my local void and play as the cultists I would be aiming to turn into a lich to see what happens. Lots and lots of raising the dead I imagine

Great AAR.

On a side note, I was listening to an old Three Moves Ahead podcast which had the author of the Dominions 3 manual on it, is that you?
Old February 13th, 2012, 04:12 PM

No, that's not me. The Dom3 manual was written by Bruce Geryk, who was also part of the beta test group, though we did not see a whole lot of him.

When the CoE3 beta began, I knew we needed a manual, so I just took that bit for myself to do. I have always been able to write instructions clearly and in an organized fashion, so it was a natural fit. By the time Bruce showed up, there was already a manual draft that was fairly well along.
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:09 AM

Corporal

ArkhanTheBlack is on a distinguished road

It was a great AAR, thanks for taking the time to do it.

That really kept my interest in the game growing and I'm eager awaiting the release now.
Therefore I'll definitely buy the game.

BTW, judging from your AAR you're a very talented writer.
It almost felt like reading a real book sometimes.
It would be nice if the manual would also contain some more 'colourful' descriptions. It makes reading manuals much for fun if they don't just stick to a toaster-style manual.