This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Conquest of Elysium II

Old February 7th, 2012, 10:25 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default CoE3 game variation ideas

Besides the many ideas I have for using the scenario commands (which I may start posting after release when we have an official forum someplace)
Here are some ideas I had just from looking at the game setup menu. Some theme games people might want to play.

Here is the class (nations) options so far in the game..

and here are the AI levels. Jester is the default and considered to be human level (no bonuses, no minuses)

This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; February 7th, 2012 at 10:40 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf Parker For This Useful Post:
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:29 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Default Re: CoE3 game variation ideas

The Baron class is probably the easiest for new people to grasp. Its rather like Ulm or MA Man in Dom3. Knights, spearmen, swordsmen, pikes, archers, crossbowmen, catapult. So how about starting off with a game of all Barons playing in the Agriculture age?

Old February 7th, 2012, 10:34 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

For an interesting solo game using the skills of Kristoffer for providing a feel for ancient nations, lets try the Barbarian Hordes against the Roman Empire? The Senator nation as an AI on its most difficult setting while human players are all allied against it. Or, some of the Barbarian nations could be set to AI. One human barbarian nation allied with 6 AI barbarian nations. The AI does play well enough to make that fun also.

Old February 7th, 2012, 10:47 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Both the Troll King and the Bakemono make extensive use of goblins as spearmen, archers, shamans, etc. I think that a mighty Troll King with many lesser level Bakemono nations swearing allegiance would make a very interesting game. The Troll King can be set at Baron (slightly boosted) and the Bakemono all set at just human level. If switches such as ClusterStart and CommonCause are turned on then it would be even more interesting. The Common Cause makes it harder to knock out enemy nations one at a time. And the Cluster Start would cause the game to place allies near each other. So all of the Troll/Bakemono would be at one end of the map, with you at the other.

I thought that the human playing the Baron nation of knights, pikes, longbows, crossbows, and catapults would be thematic but of curse any nation would work. Dwarf Queen against Troll King is fun also.

Old February 7th, 2012, 10:54 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

How about two humans playing each other? Each can have 3 AI allies.

Druids and Witches together? Both summon creatures. Druid is more foresty and witches more swampy but both create very interesting armies.

Warlocks and Enchanters on the other team? Warlocks create elementals. Enchanters are mostly a large variety of golems.

I dont think I would Cluster Start this game. The 4 nations on each team overlap resource needs too much. Better to scatter out so that everyone can start off by claiming the resources near them to get a firm start.

Old February 7th, 2012, 10:59 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Or two humans getting the squeeze? On one side is the alliance made up of Necromancer, Demonologist, and Witch. On the other side of the humans is High Priestess, Priest King, and High Cultist. Humans can play anything or let the random choose for them. Im thinking that Baron and Burgmeister make a great alliance. Or two Burgmeister nations. Or Troll King with Dwarf Queen make great allies.

Old February 7th, 2012, 11:03 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Do you begin to see some of the game variants this game supports already? And more to come!

Feel free to ask if you want more info on why I feel some nation combos work better as allies than other combos. Or any particulars of one of the nations.
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

Jack_Trowell is on a distinguished road

There are some very good ideas here, thanks for the exemples Gandalf.

I'm curious about what ressources are needed by the Warlock exactly ?

Also, what armies starting with no caster get to have one later (or some other form of upgraded commander that is not a direct upgrade of your starting commander like the lich or vampire) ?

I already know that the Troll king can get his Mom, but it's linked to a random event chain, so you probably cannot get her every game I suppose ?

Also, does some non mage commanders get ritual like abilities too ?
Those rituals are some of the part that I like the most from what I see of the game and I wonder if I will find the warrior-types as fun to play as the mage.
Dominions Map validator and randomizer : http://dominions.realites.org
Dominions Map editor v0.75b : http://dominions.realites.org/map_editor
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

A) the Warlock uses gems which he can find in iron mines, silver mines, gold mines, and even coal mines. A varied number but basically its like a coal mine gives 1 gold, 1 iron, and 1 gem of random type. Different types of gems are needed for different rituals and different elementals. A Gold mine tends to grant more in all 3 things. Nations who cannot use gems will not find them in mines.

B) I think all armies get casters. Some at start and some showing up later. At least some mage mercs can be hired. At that point the "knowledge" of the resources springs up so if its gems, all mines suddenly show gem content and start providing them. If its herbs then all units in the armies (not just that mage) will suddenly start claiming the forests they walk thru and build up a treasury of that.

C) Actually the Troll King always gets Mum at some point fairly early in the game. But he only gets one. However he can hire Goblin shamans, and the more power goblin witchdoctors, who can do a small bit of what Mum does. And he gets access to Troll shamans and Troll witchdoctors. The Troll Witchdoctors can do pretty much all of what Mum does. Including the very important turning of forests into Troll Forests.

D) there is equipment in the game. Swords, amulets, lamps, bottles, rings. They can reproduce spell effects and even summons during combat. Such as, giving your Baron a lamp will allow him to call forth a large Air Elemental during the first round of combat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf Parker For This Useful Post:
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:49 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

The gem income from mines is not that straightforward. Coal mines provide 1-2 gems. I don't think I've ever seen a coal mine provide 3. Iron mines, silver mines and gold streams all provide 1-4 gems, with 1 and 2 gems being most common, 3 being rare and 4 being very rare. There are some special sites that also provide gems, but just two so far that I remember.

As far as non-mage rituals, the Pirest King's Tribal King commanders can slave hunt. The Burgmeister can turn farms into Hoburg villages (goes from 1 gold to 3 gold and 1 weed) and baron and high lord can raise levies.

Everything else ritual wise is by mages or other special commanders, but mercenary mages are available for hire for everyone. Many classes have class specific special mages in addition to the standard list.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edi For This Useful Post: