.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 6th, 2007, 01:47 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: World of Warhammer - Released!

Questions.

1. The Chaos Gate in the North seems kinda weird. Shouldn't it be a lot farther north than that? From what I recall of the maps in the chaos army books, the northern wastes are pretty huge and the poles themselves are massive. I know in your map (because it's not a globe) the northern wastes have to be spread out across the whole northern edge of the map and the southern all the way across the south, but I thought they were a bit 'deeper', that the Chaos Gates were further away from the marauder tribes and world in general.

2. Are you going to include the entire warhammer world in a future update? Khuresh, Ind, Cathay, Ogre Kingdoms, Naggaroth, Lustria, the full expanse of the chaos wastes etc?
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:21 AM

Sergeant

zepath is on a distinguished road

Sombre: Regarding the shape of the wastes, Games Workshop has the same map found in their Hordes of Chaos army book online. The address is: http://us.games-workshop.com/games/w...ap/default.htm

Looking at that top-down depiction of the poles there is clearly an issue with map projection, as you say. I've had to depict them stretched out and will note this is precisely how they are shown in GW's -rectangular- maps of the World. In the end, I figured one would have to go quite a bit out of their way in order to reach the northern gate (unless they're playing as Jotunheim or have sailing commanders). It came down to leaving the gates out for the sake of authenticity or putting them in for the fun of it.

To the second question, I hope so. I want to get the bugs ironed out of the current (abbreviated) map and produce the "adventure" version before I continue with the rest of the world. Continuing, however, is definitely a goal. As I'll be traveling for much of December, away on training exercises all of January, and then preparing to move to another state the following month I didn't think I could realistically get the full global map put together and released in a reasonable time frame. That's why I've gone with this smaller selection for now.
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:38 AM

Corporal

DigitalSin is on a distinguished road

Congrats, zepath. The map looks awesome, well done dude.
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:48 AM

Corporal

Panpiper is on a distinguished road

Shucks Zepath, I hate to give you negative feedback as I love the idea of this map and the previews have been so wonderful, and it is obvious how much work you've put in, but I just tried playing on it and frankly, the current size and resolution of the map is, ouch, unplayable. Everything is so incredibly tightly packed with sprites and such that it is virtually impossible to see what is where. Figuring out what map sections connect with what was a matter of seeing where I could click and when it came to caves, even that often didn't work.

I am hoping that you have a higher resolution version of your map as we really need a map image with at least twice the width and height, likely more than that.
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:01 AM

Sergeant

Zylithan is on a distinguished road

I just loaded it and looked around - I was surprised by what panpiper said, because I though tthis map looked awesome. I agree that better resolution could be nice, but some people might feel opposite, and I didn't think it was a problem. Southern Europe had some places where I wasn't sure where province boundaries were, which could be a problem.

I love the letter and seal at the bottom right... awesome touch!
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:31 AM

Sergeant

panpiper: I was waiting for this comment. Well into drawing the map I started to realize how compact things would appear once the Dom3 sprites were superimposed over the map image. I could have then dropped it and begun all over again, working at a higher resolution, but chose to labor on and see how things came out. Some features -are- quite small relative to the typical Dom3 map.

Technically, blowing the map up to twice its size should be an easy task. I will look into this for those who, like yourself, are interested but want more pixels. If it turns out alright, I'll put up a larger version of the map image for you.

Zylithan: Thanks! Hopefully a larger version of the map image will allay those concerns.
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:36 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Try playing around with the defaultmapzoom command and see what you can do with that.
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:45 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

A straight pixel resize to 200% should do the trick, but it might look a bit blocky.
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:52 AM

Corporal

Panpiper is on a distinguished road

I did a resize of 200% and with a single level of the blur filter (Photoshop), the blockiness disappears. The problem of course it that the white dots have to be reapplied as the blur filter will render them greyish as opposed to white. Then the province connections have to be redone. I almost started trying to do this myself, but then realized that there was likely no way I could do it without screwing up the intended relationships.
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:02 AM

Sergeant

I've tried a few resizing methods so far and ran a draft form of a larger map image through the editor. It's looking good, size-wise, but I need to get to bed now for an early morning. If I can pull off the resize perfectly and lay the white dots (also resized and trimmed) down on it, the same .map files will work. I'll update on this tomorrow evening.