.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

View Poll Results: Should this (Dom 2) forum be split?
Yes, into 3 forums per Liga's suggestion (Q&A, MP games, mods/map-making 15 24.19%
Yes, into 2 forums (MP games, everything else) 26 41.94%
No, leave things as they are 19 30.65%
Other 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 15th, 2004, 10:41 AM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Forum splitting poll

Quote:
Ivan Pedroso said:
MP-threads a great, but ONLY when they are "open".
Actually I even read MP threads that are closed and that I'm not playing. I find that much useful info can be gleaned therein. Not only strategies and such, but also individual player personalities and how they usually play and so forth.
Old September 16th, 2004, 09:38 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Two or three, at least the ongoing games/AARs should have their own section, with the game mechanics, faq, and mapmaking/modding discussions in the other (or mapmaking/modding in a separate forum, if warranted). It gets bloody tedious to scan past all the MP threads that clutter the first page, more difficult to find anything.

Edi
Old September 16th, 2004, 10:21 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

For me its not so much the traffic, but if people arent using the forums that are already here then Im not sure if splitting would help. I wouldnt mind one just for maps so that my threads didnt disappear so fast, but Im not sure that posting them somewhere else would help all that much if no one goes there and sees them.

For the people who DO feel there should be more forums...
Making a bunch of forums and having them empty is not really a problem. I can do that. Not like it would cause much extra load on the system to have them there. But what about the chicken/egg thing? (I dont post there becuase no one reads that one, I dont read that one because no one Posts there)
Does that mean they would be in favor of a moderator moving the AAR's to the PbEM forum which already exists? and move the OT threads to the Shrapnel.General forum which already exists?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 16th, 2004, 11:05 AM

First Lieutenant

Soapyfrog is on a distinguished road

Well most games with a vibrant community similar to this one manage to get by with well subdivided forums... and hoenstly if you like reading AARs for example having them all clustered in one fairly uncluttered forum is a really nice thing. Ditto if you are looking for maps/mods... having to search through 1000 threads to find them is no fun.
Old September 16th, 2004, 11:12 AM

Corporal

Ivan Pedroso is on a distinguished road

Quote:
deccan said:
Quote:
Ivan Pedroso said:
MP-threads a great, but ONLY when they are "open".
Actually I even read MP threads that are closed and that I'm not playing. I find that much useful info can be gleaned therein. Not only strategies and such, but also individual player personalities and how they usually play and so forth.
Well to be honest I've read alot of them too

I've not learned alot about tactics from them, but you are right about player personalities. There are definetly some persons I've discovered I wouldn't wanna play against (i.e. spend months in "company" with), but that's only a few. There are lots of (mature) people who manage to play competitively AND retaining a friendly attitude. Myself and my real-life buddies (see "Battle of the Danes") have talked about entering the MP-scene, but ALL (or at least the majority) og the games announced in here are played on HUGE maps, which in my oppinion leads to boring games, with boring strategies (see the various threads on "clams", "soul contracts", "wish", "mad castling" etc).

[damn I'm in a rambling moode ]

Perhaps I should just start a public MP-game on a smaller map - anyone interested ? (send me a PM if you enjoyed our semi-ARR and would like to participate in a game that'll be played in a similar atmosphere).
Old September 16th, 2004, 12:41 PM

First Lieutenant

Thufir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
For me its not so much the traffic, but if people arent using the forums that are already here then Im not sure if splitting would help. I wouldnt mind one just for maps so that my threads didnt disappear so fast, but Im not sure that posting them somewhere else would help all that much if no one goes there and sees them.

For the people who DO feel there should be more forums...
Making a bunch of forums and having them empty is not really a problem. I can do that. Not like it would cause much extra load on the system to have them there. But what about the chicken/egg thing? (I dont post there becuase no one reads that one, I dont read that one because no one Posts there)
Does that mean they would be in favor of a moderator moving the AAR's to the PbEM forum which already exists? and move the OT threads to the Shrapnel.General forum which already exists?
While I voted against splitting up the forums, I'm not all that strongly opposed to having a single MP game forum. I do think most people would use it as well. I'd bet that most of the posters on this board only play Dom2, and as such, we don't use the other forums that currently exist because we're really here to talk to other Dom2 players, not to other Shrapnel players (which is not to say Shrapnel is not a great company ).

If you create another forum or two under Illwinter, with a reasonable topic breakdown (such as MP Game forum or MP Game/AAR Forum), I think most players will use that forum appropriately. Inevitably, some will not, then it's up to the Moderators to enforce that as they see fit (personally I like it when Moderators enforce forum topics by moving threads, but I don't see it as critical). I don't think the chicken/egg thing will be too severe, if the new forum is under the Illwinter hat, and especially if we were to kick off the new forum by moving existing MP Game threads.
Old September 16th, 2004, 01:42 PM

Sergeant

Pickles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ivan Pedroso said:
Perhaps I should just start a public MP-game on a smaller map - anyone interested ? (send me a PM if you enjoyed our semi-ARR and would like to participate in a game that'll be played in a similar atmosphere).
Yes me.

I am all for little intense maps

Pickles
Old September 16th, 2004, 03:15 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ivan Pedroso said:
Depending on the planned pace (after around turn 20 or 30, 48QH gives more flexibility in finding the half hour to hour a turn can take), I'd be interested. The smaller maps are definately a nice change of pace, and also avoid the micromanagement hassles of large maps in the late games.
Old September 16th, 2004, 03:17 PM

First Lieutenant

Soapyfrog is on a distinguished road

For sure I'd be up for a small map game! My disdain for the effects of large map/long games is well registered
Old September 16th, 2004, 03:32 PM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Does that mean they would be in favor of a moderator moving the AAR's to the PbEM forum which already exists?
With a few exceptions, the AARs are not PbEM/MP games, so that would be an inappropriate action, IMHO.