.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:07 PM

Private

NoPJag is on a distinguished road
Default Sort heroes map screen ?

Hi everybody,

Still new to the game, so it might be a noob question, but after going through most of the manual and the shortcuts list I didn't find a way to specify the order in wich heroes are listed on the map screen.

It's not a big deal, but I find it inconvenient at times when I try to build some mage team using Communion Master and Communion Slave. I observed that the mages cast their spell following the order in which they are placed in the list. So, to use one of the benefits of Communion (slaves share enchantments of the master), the master has to be first on the list. Nothing more depressing than slave 1 casting Astral Shield, slave 2 casting Astral Shield to finally have the master casting the same spell, wasting two opportunities to cast spells and fatigue .

You will say : no big deal, just make sure to set the master as the first on the list. Fine by me, only when they all have same rank in schools of magic.

Thus, so far, I didn't find a way to achieve this. Does anyone know of a method to do this ?

As a side question, I find it also strange that action resolution is defined by placement in list and not, let's say action points ?

Playing Tir Na Nog (they rock)
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:32 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sort heroes map screen ?

In the map view, units are sorted by their (invisible) unit ID number. You can't change that. Somebody said that actions in combat depend on placement on the battlefield, not their ID.
Emergency comic relief
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:13 PM

Corporal

das123 is on a distinguished road

Great question. I'd love a better way to re-arrange the lists as well. It would be good to be able to 'Ctr #' group them then hide all commanders in the group (such as hiding your research pool).

Is it possible to mod these sort of things? From what I have seen, modding can only really change units, spells etc but not interface (other than just changing the images).

Hopefully in a patch or future version.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:35 PM

Major

Tuidjy is on a distinguished road

Ich, who said that acting order depends on placement? This is the first time
I've heard this, and it goes against anything I have seen. Is this new to
Dominions III?
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:21 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Combat action order is determined by the invisible ID number. I have always found this to be true, regardless of placement.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:56 AM

Private

FaceLess is on a distinguished road

The placing on the grid Ich mentions was discussed in the communion thread . Hope this link will work. See page 2 of that thread:Communion
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:33 PM

Private

NoPJag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
FaceLess said:
The placing on the grid Ich mentions was discussed in the communion thread . Hope this link will work. See page 2 of that thread:Communion
Thanks for the answer and the interesting read! Nonetheless, I think Ich and Edi are right. So much for the work-around I was too lazy to use : I thought I could simply move them into other lands (leaving the master in the first one) and then re-moving them to the original land.

So, like I said, it's not a big deal in my actual game because I use C'tis shaman early ages as master and slaves and they all have same levels in magic paths. But I will have to remember recruiting first my master and then the slaves (making sure that their relative skill doesn't cause too much slave to die).

Anyway, it's kind of a roleplay thing ! Why would you need to recruit slaves if you don't know who will be their master ?

I like this strategy. Spreading buffs is awesome in my opinion has I tend to always script defensive spells first.