.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 7th, 2004, 10:30 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Unusual Population Types

All right, I'd be interested in knowing if anybody here has seen the following population types for indie provinces in-game:
  • Vaettir: vaetti, wolf rider, moose riders + Chief
  • Vaettir: vaetti wolf rider, moose riders + Chief, Vaetti Hag, Dwarven Smith
  • Vaettir: vaetti, wolf rider, moose riders + Chief, Vaetti Hag, Svartalf
  • Asmeg + Asmeg Jarl
  • Trolls: Troll, War Troll, Troll Moose Knight + Troll King
  • Tritons: Guard, Trooper, Knight + Lord
  • Any kind of Mermen
If you have, sing out. I think I've seen the Triton poptype that includes triton knights (scarier even than shark knights), but I've never encountered the others. All of the above poptypes actually exist, but I'm not sure if they suffer from the same bug that crystal amazons previously did (and hence they would not appear), or if IW has consciously decided to not activate them or has made them so rare that you will almost never see them.

I think the troll kingdom poptype is inactive, because troll king at least has a 0 resource cost (150 gold, though) when it should be the same as war troll's 37 (same equipment). Asmeg are probably another inactive poptype, as are mermen (there is just one merman poptype afaik).

If these poptypes are all inactive (except the triton knights, which became active in patch 2.14, from what I've seen, I've seen them twice since 2.14, but never before), would the developers be kind enough to tell us when or if they will be made active and how rare they are supposed to be?

And if they're inactive because of a bug like the crystal amazons were, can we get them activated in the next patch?

Edi
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:42 AM

Sergeant

Leif_- is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unusual Population Types

The trolls and vettir might not be used by default, but you can use them in customized maps (for instance, the DovregubbensHall map variant that's included with my daily random maps.)
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:13 AM

I know, I actually found them out by assigning the poptypes to provinces that did not have numbers listed in the mapedit.pdf, and then went outside the range given there (25-68). It's curious, because the poptype with basic trolls, vaetti and wolf riders IS active (but very rare), so why not the others? Or at least the one without mage commanders available?

Thing is, I'm interested in possible sightings, and finding them requires a huge sample of games and provinces. I've seen the basic trolls all of three times through dozens of games, and if the others are even rarer, it could be that even experienced people had not been lucky.

Edi
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:40 AM

Corporal

anatoli11 is on a distinguished road

I've seen mermen a couple of times
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

Vicious Love is on a distinguished road

I've seen one kind of merman, triton guards and triton troopers(And possibly lords).
Aren't trolls only made available via special sites? Also, what's an Asmeg?
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:40 PM

Captain

Cohen is on a distinguished road

I've seen Triton guy, if you mean "shark" knights ...

And 2 times Mermen too.
- The Enemy of the SC and all the overpowered and unbalanced things.
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

Turin is on a distinguished road

I have triton knights(those guys with flying and recuperation) and shark knights in one game on the faerun map. There are also several indie underwater sites with ~10 sea trolls and a kraken.
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Vicious Love said:
I've seen one kind of merman, triton guards and triton troopers(And possibly lords).
Aren't trolls only made available via special sites? Also, what's an Asmeg?
Apparently the merman poptype is active then, though rare. Triton guards and troopers, as well as shark knights are all part of regular, active triton poptypes, most of them just aren't listed in the map editing manual. Triton lord is the generic triton leader available in all such provinces.

Trolls can be recruited from Troll Pit, but they are also native population for two different poptypes (one has vaetti, the other is purely trolls, and the one I listed above).

An Asmeg is a Vanheim giant (kind of). The Vanheim and Jotunheim nation descriptions refer to a war between the Rimtursar and Aesir. Asmeg are descendants of the Aesir, not quite as big and powerful as Jotun giants, but very nice nonetheless. Their leaders have air and holy magic. Take a look at the Asynja pretender for Vanheim and extrapolate regular units modeled after it, that's you standard Asmeg.

Edi
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Turin said:
I have triton knights in one game on the faerun map. There are also several indie underwater sites with ~10 sea trolls and a kraken.
Are those units just site guards, or can you recruit sea trolls from the province? If you can't, they don't count for the purposes of this thread. The triton knights were recruitable, weren't they?

Edi
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

Turin is on a distinguished road

triton knights are recruitable. Haven´t conquered those sea troll provinces yet, but as far as I know you always get to recruit the guarding troops unless it is a special site.

I just checked the game again and one thing is strange: I have two provinces where I can recruit shark knights, one of those has the shrine of the shark lords, which says: "Can recruit shark knight" here.

The interesting thing is: In that province I can recruit the triton knights. So it seems to me that maybe shark and triton knights got switched, because I should not be able to recruit shark knights in provinces without that special.